Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - got my Globalsat SD501 today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

got my Globalsat SD501 today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
footman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: got my Globalsat SD501 today Reply with quote

Hi
ordered yesterday by telephone from easydevices,very friendly informative and efficient guy called Sean took my order.Arrived this morning.In the box was the module, a mini cd rom , a booster module and a funny looking mini clip with a suction pad.
What was not in the box was a carry case, an external antenna or an instruction manual.All these items appear as " in the box " at globalpositioningsystems. I'll contact easydevices for their comments and post the response.
Setup was incredibly easy, driver loaded without problems.Using the supplied GPSinfo application I was receiving 7 sats within 3 minutes .
As expected Tomtom3 was a little picky at first ,but after a few nudges accepted the new drivers.memorymap and mapopolis had an immediate positive response.
I'm now going out for a walk to test memorymap/pocket streets and then a drive to test Tomtom.
BTW as far as the security of the device in the sd slot (it can pop out easily from my 2210) and the rainwater issues go,Ive put it in my Aquapac and it fits perfectly.
sorry about the long post

Laurence
31mwilliams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Globalsat SD-501 Reply with quote

Hi, ordered mine from Globalpositioningsystems; arrived all present & correct. Installed on 2210 (3 months old).

Hope you can help though. Driver installed. Installed GPs info & have tried all Com ports to no avail. I notice Com 7 doesn't appear in the GPSinfo list (mentioned as the one to use in the review). The red light on the GPS flashes, but nothing appears on the info page.

Mark
footman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

there is no com7 until the module is inserted then it appears.

HTH

Laurence
31mwilliams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Globalsat sd-501 Reply with quote

Hi Laurence

I have the Ipaq sitting on my desk with the unit inserted. It's flashing red, which I understand means it has a fix, but gpsinfo does not show a Com7 port to connect to it

I had it working for about an hour earlier when I messed about with Tom Tom. When I then went back into gpsinfo it showed a Com7 and came to life.

But after switching back on this evening I'm back to square 1 again, no Com7.

Any ideas?

Mark
footman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you got any other applications running that may be grabbing com7?
have you tried a soft reset?

Laurence
31mwilliams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A soft reset seems to be the only way to get things working again (with the GPS attached). I don't appear to have anything else running (just today & activesynch showing in itask), but I'm new to the ipaq as well!

I take it that I'm shutting down correctly, exiting Tomtom and switching off, leaving the Gps in-situ?

Mark
footman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom will not exit from the software alone.Press button 4 to shut down tomtom(apologies if you already know this)

Laurence
31mwilliams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: problem solved Reply with quote

Thanks for your help

Had to soft reset several times after lock-ups and finally went onto Globalsat.com.tw website and discovered that I should upgrade the SDIO driver for the 2210 from the HP website (download the sd-501-readme); link:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/locate/105_5721.html.

After downloading and running this everything seems fine.

Mark
footman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you got there! I'm off to Dorset tomorrow to test out the module,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: