Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Bluetooth?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Bluetooth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taxman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Which Bluetooth? Reply with quote

Question Having spent numerous hours trying to make a decision which way to jump and spend a decent amount of money I still cannot find a way forward. To me buying a BT GPS is like having a weekend in Amsterdam - costs about the same!!

I have thought about the Acore AG-600, Syson BT, RoyalTek and Emtac. But it is not an easy choice being new to this field.

So what do I want it for? Main thing is hiking, cross moors and dales, then driving but with the occasional use for sailing - this could be really useful at night doing coastal sailing.

So I need something that can work when in a pocket (just like it says in the ads!) or out open to the sky (with a bit of plastic in the way).

Would really appreciate some guidence on this. Oh and the H/W is a iPAQ 4150 but due to upgrade to the new hx4700 (or so I've been told).

Cheers
snakyjake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: RE: Which Bluetooth? Reply with quote

I have the same question in regards to a bluetooth GPS. I'm mainly concerned about using it hiking in the mountains, where valleys and trees are an issue. Sensitivity is important, so is battery life. Software to control the hardware is also important. The software for maps isn't, I'll purchase 3rd party software.

When looking at the GPSPassion website (http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=55&page=6), it appears the RoyalTek BlueGPS is the winner for sensitivity and accuracy. Battery peformance is the winner too (http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=55&page=4). Bluetooth performance isn't the best, but 15 meters is plenty for me.

~ Jake
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you're looking for battery life then consider the Globalsat BT-308. I comfortably get 11 hours out of mine on one charge. Well made and a good performer too, with a good reliability reputation.

Steve
Nissan Connect
footman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say better than Fortuna clipon.Upgraded firmware and its on xtrac all the time.Fixes 11 sats in the car today with no lag on Tomtom. Yesterday walking in Surrey hills using Memorymap was faultless. Battery life when walking is not really an issue IMHO since most walkers will have a paper map and know how to use it. GPS is only turned on when your "mates" challenge your map reading/compass using abilities.
The_Pilgrim
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The fortuna Clipon does it for me too. rock solid performance and good battery life.

i think the battery life of the pda should be considered as well 8 hours for the clipon :2 for the PDA?

Regards

The Pilgrim
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree with pilgrim - Battery life on the Clip On is waaaay above expectation - admittedley I don't use it every day but I leave the unit in the car and find I only have to charge it every 2 or 3 weeks (and that includes some longish trips e.g. down to London (from Yorkshire) and back

A real winner - I am very pleased with my choice

Steve G
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footman wrote:
Battery life when walking is not really an issue IMHO since most walkers will have a paper map and know how to use it. GPS is only turned on when your "mates" challenge your map reading/compass using abilities.

Youre probably right there, but as I've bought the kit and spent money on OS maps to go walking with I like to have it on constantly. With a paper map as backup of course just in case!
I get 15+ hours on a new set of AAAs (probably more with rechargeables but have never tried them) and around 6-7 hours from the PDA on a full charge.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="icsys"]
footman wrote:
around 6-7 hours from the PDA on a full charge.

Wow, tell me how you get this battery life out of a 2210? I turn the back light off as well as all other programs other than Memory-map and I can get about 5 -5.5 hours. Are you using the bigger capacity battery?
Memory Map
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TC,

I have a std battery. I wanted the higher capacity but found them way too expensive for what they are so I decided to test battery life.
So from a full charge I timed how long it would take to discharge.

First set the Standby Period to the lowest setting which increases the useable battery time.
As you stated, no backlight and only Anquet running. As Anquet isn't as sophisticated as Memory Map I just left the PPC alone to happily 'Live Track' my position.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Taxman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Which BT Reply with quote

Well, thanks for all the info. Not sure it has helped - but seeing what people use in similar circumstances to my intentions has proved useful. Point taken about the battery life for the BT unit. Think that there will always be a place for paper maps but it'll be good to be able to clear some space on shelves. Just a couple of flash cards (or a biggun).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: