Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - postcode program
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

postcode program
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clifford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: postcode program Reply with quote

I have installed the postcode program & it works great, but I have to go into programs to access it. I tried allocating a button option to it but it says it can not find the folder ie. the address is incorrect. I would like to access this properly. Please help
Thanks
Cliff
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be able to assign a button to it the program needs to have a shortcut placed in the \windows\start menu\ folder structure. you can achieve that with the file explorer. (copy/paste shortcut)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
clifford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: postcode file Reply with quote

What do you mean "folder structure"?
Thanks
Cliff
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the start menu has sub folders, like "Programs" and "Settings". You can also create your own - I have added a sub folder "Navigation" on my machine.

The shortcut should normally be placed in \windows\start menu\programs , because if you place it directly in \windows\start menu\ then it will be shown when you tap the Start button, and that list can only hold a limited number of entries.

Programs that are polite (and compliant with the guidelines) will not place their shortcut directly into the \windows\start menu\ folder. They leave it up to the user to decide that (via Start > Settings > Menus )

It may all sound unrelated, but it isn't. You need to know that mechanism to assign a button to your program.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
HandyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is going to make me sound intellectually challenged, but could some kind soul tell me what this "postcode program" is?

I have TomTom3 here. I've installed Checkpoint. And the feature I dearly want to be able to access is setting routes via postcode. If I've got it on my PDA then I haven't yet managed to find it!

Is there something else I need to download? If so, any chance of a URL?

Andrew
Gaz_Hammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://www.digitools.co.uk/ukpostcode.php

Gaz
clifford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: postcode help Reply with quote

Thanks , I am now a very happy chappie Laughing
dave2318
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just installed the postcode program, seems great. Except when I put the office postcode in the destination is about half a mile away, put my home postcode in and it puts me at the wrong end of the street, put another postcode in and it's bang on. Is this normal? Autoroute 2003 gets them all exactly right.
HandyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the link that was posted earlier on this thread I now have the postcode program installed and it works great! I've made a small PayPal donation to the author.

One postcode I put in wasn't recognised in the database. My own address is off but not by much. Overall I'm very pleased with this.

Andrew
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave2318,

Postcodes are not always dead accurate. Don't forget that postcodes usually cover a small area (in rural areas it may be a fairly wide area), and that it depends on the level of accuracy of the data. It is possible to purchase more accurate postcode datasets, but these are expensive, and you are getting one for free.
My office postcode is about 200 yards out, my home postcode is literally right outside my house. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't, but you are usually so close that you can see where you actually want to get to.
HandyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I noted on my VERY limited trials was that a postcode used with TomTom/UKPostcode, and the same postcode entered into streetmap.co.uk could produce slightly different results.

However I'm really not bothered by this - if I can navigate to within 100 yards or so of where I need to be then most times that's good enough.

I also noted that the UkPostcode program doesn't have complete coverage. The postcode works fine in streetmaps, but not in UkPostcode. I don't think I'm surprised by that, but perhaps it would be nice if there was an edit feature to allow new postcodes to be defined.

Andrew
roverron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.digitools.co.uk/ukpostcode.php

THIS IS BRILLIANT!

I've just installed this as per the instructions on his website and it all worked first time on my XDA with TTN 3.

Definitely worth a Paypal donation.
lloyd73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Problem with uk postcode program Reply with quote

Hi can anyone help an absolute beginner

I have a HP rz1710 pda unit and i have installed the UK Postcode program left by Niels Thomsen on digitools.co.uk. The problem that i have is... you enter the postcode and tap either 'show on map' or 'navigate to', the screen clears but it just reverts back to the last destination that you looked up in the normal fashion (through Tom Tom). The program doesn't link with the Tom Tom program and take you to the requested destination. What have i done wrong? i need a step by step guide cause i'm no computer boffin but i can ususally follow a set of clear instruction.

2nd problem, i tried to type in an address as follows, London > Albany Close > then number 73 but the system would only accept numbers between 1-47. What is going on as i KNOW no 73 exists and has done for over 30 years? Can anyone shed any light on this.

Help.............. Embarassed
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First problem - it sounds like you have a HP Navigation Pack. This uses a program based on TomTom's "common platform", not TomTom Navigator 3. At the moment, the TomTom "common platform" program doesn't support the Navigator SDK, so add-on programs like UK Postcode, CheckPOInt and GPSAssist do not work.

Second problem - this sounds like a map error. You can report it at support.tomtom.com

David
lloyd73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a thousand thank yous for the quick reply but are you therefore saying i am stuffed unless i upgrade the unit to at least HP H1940 or can i get a software download that will solve the problem???? Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: