Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD or CF??? The decisions never end!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD or CF??? The decisions never end!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: SD or CF??? The decisions never end!! Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks to all the fantastic information on this site and in the forums, along with some very helpful people answering my questions, I have finally chosen a GPS unit!!! Woohoo!!! Jumping With Joy

I'm going for the IPAQ 2210 with TomTom Navigator 3, TomTom Car Kit and either TomTom bluetooth receiver or a mouse (not decided on that bit yet either!).

However, being a novice on this (its like learning a new language!) I'm not sure which memory card to get?

Which manufacturer is best? What is the difference between SD and CF and which is best?? How much memory should I get? What is type 1 & 2 CF?? So many questions?! If anyone can tell me which one to get, please let me know!

Thanks!
Hobbers
Stupid
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: SD or CF??? The decisions never end!! Reply with quote

Hobbers wrote:
However, being a novice on this (its like learning a new language!) I'm not sure which memory card to get?

Which manufacturer is best? What is the difference between SD and CF and which is best?? How much memory should I get? What is type 1 & 2 CF?? So many questions?! If anyone can tell me which one to get, please let me know!

I'll not answer all of your questions, but I will answer the easiest one - although it's not as straightforward as everyone thinks:

Type 1 & Type 2 can refer to the data rate of the card

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0012.asp wrote:
There are two versions of the Compact Flash Specification. The primary difference between the older type 1 specification and the newer type 2 is the data rate supported by the card. Type 1 cards support data transfer rates of 8MB/s where as Type 2 cards will support speeds of up to 16MB/s. The CF 2 specification is backward compatible with the type 1 specification but crucially Type 2 cards can be used with type one hardware at the slower transfer rate. Ensuring compatibility at least on the hardware level.

But more usually (and adding to confusion) Type I & Type II refer to the physical form factor

http://www.compactflash.org/faqs/faq.htm#What_is wrote:
The only difference between CF Type I and CF Type II cards is the card thickness. CF Type I is 3.3 mm thick and CF Type II cards are 5mm thick. A CF Type I card will operate in a CF Type I or CF Type II slot. A CF Type II card will only fit in a CF Type II slot. The electrical interfaces are identical. CompactFlash is available in both CF Type I and CF Type II cards, though predominantly in CF Type I cards. The Microdrive is a CF Type II card. Most CF I/O cards are CF Type I, but there are some CF Type II I/O cards.

Isn't it fun Laughing ?
Hobbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm..ok...thanks for the info!!! Makes a bit of sense, and I can just about determine from it that a Type I would be ok.

Now back to my original question - SD or CF? Anyone got any advice on this??

:D
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

By way of advice from somebody with a 2210 and a bluetooth and a wired receiver to boot!

I have tried a number of SD cards with mixed results pretty much in line with the advice from experienced users on these forums. I have now settled on a Panasonic (Japanese made) SD card which is a good performer. To some extent, it is pot luck whether your SD card will work for you = grief!

However, I have to say that my CF cards are rock solid performers always and at about half the price per mb as the Panasonic SD.

An additional factor is that the CF card is very secure in it's slot whereas the SD card can be 'sprung' from it's slot with a little hand pressure. This can happen while navigating causing total lockup.

Unless you need the CF slot for something else, I would go fo CF every time, especially if you choose a BT receiver.

Steve
Nissan Connect
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the last post. And you asked what size. I wouldn't consider less than 256 MB. If you load the maps which come with TTN3 (UK and European main road maps) together with one or two addons (Checkpoint, UK Postcodes, safety camera database) they won't fit on a 128 MB card.
Robin
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, The iPAQ 2210 will take either Type I or Type II CF cards.
Although it's another wire to locate, I use a mouse receiver, and have never had any of the problems described by some people who use Bluetooth. I also have CoPilot on the PPC, and can switch from one to the other without any difficulty. Sometimes TTN3 is reluctant to relinquish its Bluetooth hold if you want to run another application!
Robin
Flat_Eric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running tomtom 3 and checkpoint 2 on an Ipaq 2210, tomtom car kit, with cheap as possible SD card (256mb) and wired gps mouse, sweet as a nut. The guy in the shop said bluetooth could be more prone to bugs, lockups,etc, unusually recommending me to go for the cheaper option, previously unheard of practice in the retail electronics trade. I'm delighted with the system.
Hobbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your advice!

My order has now been placed, I've gone for the Ipaq 2210, TT3, TT car kit, wired receiver, and 512mb CF card.

Should be delivered on Monday!
:D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: