Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Socket BT GPS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Socket BT GPS?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montmorency
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: New Socket BT GPS? Reply with quote

I was browsing the Socket site the other day and noticed the GPS they now have is significantly different to the old Socket badged Emtac of 2 years or so ago - and no, it dosn't look like the Trine either.
This new one claims 12 hours of battery and it's removeable!

It's here:
http://www.socketcom.com/pdf/gps/BTGPS_datasheet.pdf

Although if you look here it's built-in...
http://www.socketcom.com/product/GP0820-521.asp?View=Specs

Ho humm...

Have socket just re-cased the old box, re-badged someone else's box (again) or is this really a new product?
If it's new when the review? - patience never my strong point Wink

And if I'm barking just delete this post and put it down to the onset of early middle age... Confused

Chris.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK it is a new box, Socket/Emtac relationship died a while back and Socket have been working on a new GPS. We have requested a review sample, just waiting for it at the moment.
richard2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: New Socket Reply with quote

The Battery is removable and it really does last 10 hours.

I have one and tested the beastly thing.

It also is supposed to see 16 sattelites, and while standing on top of Hampstead Heath I saw 11.

It would also appear to be better than the old Socket when wandering under tree cover but that part needs further serious testing which I will be doing sometime in mid Jan 2005 in West Sussex.

Richard
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking my GPS file and looking at my Expansys invoice, in April 2003 I paid £240 for my Socket Bluetooth GPS receiver. 8O Thats without P&P cause I collected from Expansys it in Manchester.

Its been extremely reliable, always gets a strong fix, and is still going strong.

Anyway today I've treated myself to this newer version of Socket BT GPS as a backup in case the Emtac curse should strike - or sell it cheap to a friend whilst its non-removable battery is still functioning.

Expansys have slashed prices on this model, cutting down on their stock levels, and have them going for £61.95 inclusive of VAT. For a brand name with quality, seems a good deal to me.

www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=119717
detchibe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I ordered one of these £61 OEM Socket recievers yesterday. Hopefully it'll be here later on, I'll give you a brief opinion and pics if wanted. Chances are I'll install it early Saturday morning before going to work! Smile

~n
Cenobite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also ordered one and am hoping my first foray into GPS is not too difficult...
Cenobite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I must say so far Im impressed with Expansys, ordered at lunchtime and received an email saying it had been shipped by the time I came back from eating...

Hopefully by early next week I will be able to report my experience as someone completely new to GPS.

Will also advise if (or how well) this unit works with the SPV C500...
Cenobite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I wont be testing the GPS with c500 as TT dont sell the software without the package... Doh... stupidly I assumed they would sell the software on its own.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought one of these from eXpansys which had a problem with the charging circuit, charge indicator light flashing spuriously.

The replacement only had a bluetooth range of 1 to 2 metres so have sent this back for yet another replacement.

Can anyone tell me the normal maximum bluetooth reception range that they have experienced.

Roger
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference to last post.

I discovered what the problem was.

During all testing for range I was holding the PDA in the palm of my hand. This was shielding reception of the Bluetooth signal. With the PDA held only at the base the Bluetooth reception was still good at 10+ metres.

So line of sight does mean exactly what it says. No allowance for hands in the way!!

Roger
electricalfx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
Reference to last post.

I discovered what the problem was.

During all testing for range I was holding the PDA in the palm of my hand. This was shielding reception of the Bluetooth signal. With the PDA held only at the base the Bluetooth reception was still good at 10+ metres.

So line of sight does mean exactly what it says. No allowance for hands in the way!!

Roger

I recently purchased the socket BT GPS for use with my T5 and via michelin. Used it for the first time yesterday and must say I am very pleased with it (Expansys £61.95 inc vat).

It so far seems more accurate than my wired Haicom unit which had to go when I upgraded from my T1 (thanks for changing the connection PalmOne!).

Regarding the bluetooth range I was upstairs with the palm whilst the receiver was on the downstairs window, still making a connection some 10 metres away through a floor and wall!

The other impressive features are it's size which comfortably fits inside shirt pocket and the wrap around rubber feet, which keep it firmly placed on the dash (one of which doubles up as charging socket cover)

10/10 socket
hogbreath
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the charging socket the same as the now older "black" unit, in otherwords the same socket used to charge most Ipaq's?
&
How much does a spare batt cost?

Pete
Ash_999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Pocket GPS World Planning to review this new Socket Bluetooth GPS Receiver ????
Ash_999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ??
Ash_999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone monitors this thread ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: