Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO POI Speedcamera POI database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO POI Speedcamera POI database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hasoodh1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have just got my new tomtom go for Christmas and I want to install the speed camera PIO, I have downloaded the current database and I have noticed it has other OV2 files and BMP files:

PocketGPS_UK_GATSO.ov2
PocketGPS_UK_REDLIGHT.ov2
PocketGPS_UK_SPECS.ov2
PocketGPS_CONTINENTAL.ov2
PocketGPS_UK_MOBILE.ov2
pocketgps_UK_TEMP.ov2

Should I use all of them? If I only want one the ones that are in the uk which files should I use? I don't need the continental cameras.

Also can I purchase any SD Card or does it have to be TTG card? I would rather use a different card to install other maps and PIO's and keep the supplied card separate as a master sample.

Another thing is the version on the sd card and if my TTG freezes and go wrong can it be rectified by formating and reloading everthing back onto the SD card?

Many thank

Hoss
estaga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasoodh1 wrote:

Should I use all of them? If I only want one the ones that are in the uk which files should I use? I don't need the continental cameras.

Also can I purchase any SD Card or does it have to be TTG card? I would rather use a different card to install other maps and PIO's and keep the supplied card separate as a master sample.

Another thing is the version on the sd card and if my TTG freezes and go wrong can it be rectified by formating and reloading everthing back onto the SD card?

Hoss

They are different types of cameras, (radar, traffic light, etc etc), install all of them (in your Great_Britain map directory).

You can use any SD card (I've just purchased a 1gb), just hook up your TTG to the usb port and put in the TTG install cd and say "install application" and after that "install map" and you're set!
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasoodh1 wrote:

You can ignore the Continental file, but all the rest are in the UK.

TTG seems to work with most SD cards - although one or two people have reported problems with some cards. I bought a 256MB card from 7-day Shop (an on-line shop in Guernsey) and it's fine.

The easiest way of setting up a new card is to copy everything from the supplied card to your new card via your PC. [When TTG is connected to a PC using the USB cable, the SD card becomes like a removeable disc drive]. So if you set up a TTG folder/directory on your hard disc, and connect TTG with the supplied card in, you can copy the card to your TTG folder. (It's a good backup, anyway). Then turn TTG off, swap cards and turn it back on again. Then copy everything - including the directory structure from your TTG folder to the new card.

You can, of course, install the application and maps from the CD but you may find, as I did, that the CD has an older version of the software than the SD card. My SD card is v4.42 but the CD is only v4.40
When I installed v4.40 from the CD, TTG kept hanging on bootup - and had to be rescued with a paperclip in its reset hole. Ever since I copied v4.42, it's been fine.

I think I have implicitly answered your final question already, but my suggestion is to back up the whole SD card to your PC so that you can reload everything - including your own customisations - if necessary.

HTH,
Roger

P.S. They're POI's not PIO's.
hasoodh1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you estaga and rkm_hm for the above post

Onces the POI's are installed and everything is working fine, say in the future if I want to update the Speed Camera POI how would I do it? and if I want to delete the Speed camera POI from my TTG do I delete it from the SD card when connected to the PC or do I have to delete the POI straight from the TTG?

Many Thanks

Hoss
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasoodh1 wrote:
Onces the POI's are installed and everything is working fine, say in the future if I want to update the Speed Camera POI how would I do it? and if I want to delete the Speed camera POI from my TTG do I delete it from the SD card when connected to the PC or do I have to delete the POI straight from the TTG?

To update the camera database, connect TTG to your PC, and copy the new .ov2 files over the existing ones.

If you want to delete the camera database, you have two choices. You can connect TTG to a PC and delete the files from the card or, within TTG itself, you can delete a category of POIs from the 'Change preferences' menu.
hasoodh1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that rkm_hm your tips are very good and clear much appreciated.

I am new to TTG and sorry to keep writing in but there is another thing I would like to know, Can I add a category and call it say for example "Speed Camera" put the Camera POI's in there, then if this is the case then when the category is enabled it will automatically enable all the POI's in that category. I know if I want to delete something from the category I just do it one by one but if I choose to delete the category will the Camera POI go back to the front of the point interest or can I simply move then back to its original place? Or am being silly and complicating things. The manual should provide all of this infomation but its very basic and has lots of important information missing on it.

Cheers Hoss
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasoodh1 wrote:
Can I add a category and call it say for example "Speed Camera" put the Camera POI's in there, then if this is the case then when the category is enabled it will automatically enable all the POI's in that category.

Yes, and no - but rather more 'no' than 'yes'!

The speed camera files, as supplied, come in several different .ov2 files for Gatso, Specs, Red Light, Mobile, etc. Each of these becomes a separate category - and TTG doesn't support hierarchies of categories - they're all at one level.

The only way in which you could have a single category would be if you combined the separate .ov2 files into a single file on your PC before copying it to the SD card. You could then have only one icon (and only one warning sound), so TTG wouldn't be able to distinguish between different types of camera.
hasoodh1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rkm_hm

I can't thank you enough for the quick responce and for the detailed information you have provided, I am truly grateful. I am now going to install the Camera POI into my TTG I am only going to install:

uk_gatso.ov2
uk_mobile.ov2
uk_redlight.ov2
uk_specs.ov2

and I am going to leave the uk_continental.ov2 and uk_temp.ov2 out as I don't need it. Is that ok or do I have to intall the others for it to work?

As I learn more about my TTG then I can give advice to others

Many thanks Hoss

PS I won't ask any more questions sorry
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasoodh1 wrote:
I am going to leave the uk_continental.ov2 and uk_temp.ov2 out as I don't need it. Is that ok or do I have to intall the others for it to work?

They are all independent, so you can have which ones you like.

The uk_temp file contains cameras on motorways where there are temporary speed restrictions for roadworks - some of them for quite long periods. You may find these useful if you drive on motorways!
baza756
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: speed camera icon top left of screen Reply with quote

Dear Mike,
Please can i ask how you get the warning camera image to show in the top left corner of the Go unit,also the camera's in your article are against a red background i wonder if that can be enabled somehow?.
Many thanks Baza756
awdriver96
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Camera Background Reply with quote

Just pull the gatso .bmp file into windows paint and open attributes which says black and white, check the colour box instead and get the paint bucket tool (colour fill) change colour to red and fill background red save file back to GBmaps folder and your gatsos will be on red background. you can do this with any of the .bmp images and have them the colours you want.
Mike
baza756
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mike,
Many thanks for your help, when i have altered the gatso bmp file should i copy over the standard one that i have working at the moment in the gb maps folder?.

Can i ask if the camers icon should be as your article in the top left corner of the tom tom go unit as well?.
mine are just on the road positions
thankyou barry
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry,

Yes all you need to do is to replace the Gatso.bmp or whichever icon you are changing. It needs to have the same filename as the POI group you want it to show for, except for .bmp instead of .ov2.

To get it to flash on the top left of the screen you need to enable the warning as described in the article.

Be aware that if you select to be warned if a POI is on route then this may not warn you if the position is not close enough to the road, or is marked as being on the other side of a dual carriageway.
Jo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazp

It sounds like you had a really hard time getting it to work, surely would it not just be easier not to speed?
mightydquinn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D I found it easy to install and run :D
I added POI warnings and it gives me a sirenand a countdown in top left hand corner
my next step is post codes when I get a bigger sd card.
but

Idea
you should all add this as a driving aid that is all . MDQ
Idea

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: