Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - VistaC and LegendC - No Serial Connection!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

VistaC and LegendC - No Serial Connection!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: VistaC and LegendC - No Serial Connection!!! Reply with quote

Important note for prospective purchasers of these GPS.

If you intend to connect a PDA with these, like many readers of this site do, you may be in for a shock, because you CANNOT!

These models do not have the E type serial connector like other eTrex (Garmin should not have called these eTrex models because of such confusion).

In fact I do not think they have any serial in/out at all. They are USB only. I think it really is a mistake for any GPS manufacturer to omit any serial input/output except for USB dedicated mouse for PC use. USB is "fashionable" but not "user friendly" as far as GPS is concerned, at least for the foreseeable future.

USB is faster for data transfer but serial is a more useable interface by far.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Ronald. I do think it's a good move for Garmin to go USB, they should have done it several years ago but didn't, but in hind sight, they really shouldn't have dropped the Serial out of the eTrex range.

Split Serial/USB options are available on other more expensive models, I guess this splits it away from the more professional devices even further.

I guess companies are following trends now, we saw it with HP making the 1910 without a serial port due to the price value, we've seen Garmin do the same by not supplying any interface on the Geko 101, and now we are seeing a USB only interface.

Not good!
TonyV5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to get into the 21st century, Pc manufactures have been slowly removing serial ports as they are slow, take up more space on a PCB.

Lots laptops are USB only, & USB connectors can be quite small look at camaras.
The GPSmap76cs needs the speed of USB when loading 115mb data!
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree we should move forward.
But merits of USB/serial has been debated many times before I will not go over it again.

If you say making it impossible to make use of millions of PDAs out there with a new GPS is a step forward, which is what it seems until some clever geek finds a solution, I canot say more.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyV5 wrote:
Time to get into the 21st century, Pc manufactures have been slowly removing serial ports as they are slow, take up more space on a PCB.

Lots laptops are USB only, & USB connectors can be quite small look at camaras.
The GPSmap76cs needs the speed of USB when loading 115mb data!

Tony, I agree that USB and Firewire for that matter are the ways forward until some new ground breaking technology comes out, but one thing you have to remember is that you cannot talk to a GPS under USB unless the GPS has a properly built USB Host adapter built in-side it.

That means that with some of the new Garmin's that do not have a proprietary Garmin plug on, just a USB like the new eTrex Colour range it means it's impossible to connect this up to ANY PDA because PDA's do not by default have a USB Master connection. You may be able to plug your PDA cradle into a USB port but this is different.

So as it stands, if anyone purchases the new eTrex Colour range, you cannot under any circumstances connect it to a PDA which uses SERIAL as the main transport device between devices for GPS data.

This just means that it's now another thing people have to consider when purchasing a handheld GPS Receiver.

Do you want to EVER connect your GPS to a PDA ? If YES or MAYBE then the new eTrex Colour range and any other Garmin's for that matter that don't have a proper Serial port for exporting NMEA is not the right choice for you.
ks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the Legend C and the Vista C output NMEA via USB (to a laptop)? I want to use this unit with my laptop and third party software, but the Garmin site (or Legend C manual) does not mention NMEA for these units.

Please advise, thanks,

SK
12/21
ks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No NMEA for the etrex Cs. Here is the reply I received from Garmin:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin.

The Etrex Legend C and the Vista C cannot transmit the NMEA protocol.  NMEA requires a serial connection, which these units do not offer.  These units can only transmit in our Garmin Data Transfer protocol.  At this time I don't know if there are any third party software companies that support the Garmin protocol over the USB port.  Some will support it over serial but not USB yet.  You will have to contact each software company individually to see if they support it yet. 

Our Mapsource software works with these units.  Or you might want to
consider getting the GPSMap 60c or 60cs if you want NMEA transfer options. "

I guess I will have a look at the 60C
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per my post on Aug 27th, the eTrex Colour GPS's only have a USB port so there is no way that it will talk Serial which stops it from talking not only to a PDA but to a PC for you to utilise run of the mill standard GPS Applications to talk to it.

It's a shame, they're both nice GPS Receivers but Garmin appear now to be going this way with some of their GPS Receivers.

The key is, does it come with a USB cable. If it does, the chances are it won't support a serial connection but the key is to check if you can select NMEA output rather than Garmin DGPS Protocol.
Yatesey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I had the Legend C as a Christmas present so did not see your posts until now. I have contacted Garmin about this stupid USB only connection because it works with memory-map software. As memory-map is designed to work on PDAs, Garmin is offering a product that does not fulfil the potential of the software it works with.

I have asked Garmin if they will replace the unit for the one that has the serial connection as well (GPSMAP 60CS) because the Legend C is really not fit-for purpose. I've even offered to pay half the difference, but all I'm getting at the moment is the complete fob-off by them not responding to emails and not returning phone calls.

How can they expect the average user who has just a PC to lug it around with them on holiday when walking in Scotland for 2 weeks. After all it only has 24mb of memory. My West Highland Way map is over 100mb alone, and that is just for one walk, so how am I supposed to get an entire region on the GPS without buying a laptop or the thing being able to interface with my XDA.

I will keep you posted, but it looks like I'm going to have to complain to the MD if I don't get a response soon. Needless to say I am not a happy bunny. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can complain but I do not think you will get anywhere.

They will say the LegendC (and other standalone GPS) is designed to be used on its own. They do provide USB>PC for the purpose of upgrading and use of Mapsource etc.

Note also there are many standalone GPS that have no external connection whatsoever, USB or serial.

You just have to be aware of it when you purchse it. Admittedly, many do not realise what is needed until when it is needed.
tcassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the Garmin USB driver is not the type that will provide a serial comm port to the computer. You might consider GPS Gate http://franson.com/gpsgate/index.asp? to overcome this limitation. They already have support for the GPS 18 and are looking at other Garmin units.
Terry
BTW I am not associated with Franson in any way, just a user.
Yari
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Changes made from version 2.00 to 2.10: ? Reply with quote

Hi !

I found this text from garmin www-pages:
----
Changes made from version 2.00 to 2.10:
Corrected communication problems with third-party software.
----

Do you have any idea what this really means ? I think it is not the "Serial NMEA over USB".

Can you say what is the alternative device with same functions than legend C + serial nmea ?

-Jn-
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcassidy wrote:
You might consider GPS Gate http://franson.com/gpsgate/index.asp? to overcome this limitation. They already have support for the GPS 18 and are looking at other Garmin units.

According to their website they have added suport for "Garmin GPS 18, and most other Garmin USB GPS receivers as well."

Sounds like an answer to the USB problem. If someone can write a fairly simple application to work around the problem then I can't understand why Garmin shot themselves in the foot by not providing NMEA and serial output. :x
tcassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy a product that is not advertised to do what you want, you can't expect the manufacturer to spend technical time and money to make it do it. Buy the right product in the first place or be happy that a third party solution exists.
Terry
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcassidy wrote:
If you buy a product that is not advertised to do what you want, you can't expect the manufacturer to spend technical time and money to make it do it. Buy the right product in the first place or be happy that a third party solution exists.
Terry

All the older Garmins used to have NMEA and serial output, pretty much every other GPS on the market does too. It's not unreasonable for someone to assume that Garmin would provide the same functionality.

I can't see that the serial comms cost any more than about $1 to implement. As for NMEA, perhaps they have to pay a per unit license fee for the use of NMEA and that's why they removed it?

It's penny pinching and it cripples an otherwise excellent product. :x

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: