Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please help! What should I spend my money on??!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help! What should I spend my money on??!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Please help! What should I spend my money on??! Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
I'm sure you must get this all the time, but I'm new to GPS and PDA's and haven't got a clue what to get!!

I've recently been promoted to a new job that requires me to visit our offices all over the country. I live in Bristol but could be asked to go anywhere in the UK, so could do with a little bit of assistance in finding my way around and have decided to get a GPS unit.

I currently have a Y-reg Vectra company car, but will be getting a New Astra soon, and would like a GPS unit that is portable so that no holes are made in the company car.

I've been trying to work out which would be best - a car based unit such as TomTom GO, or a PDA bundle such as the Ipaq H2210 with TT Navigator 3 and bluetooth receiver???

I've never used a PDA before, but I'm sure I'd get the hang of it, just can't work out which option would be best due to so many mixed opinions.

I would really like a GPS with 3D mapping as it appears to be much easier to follow, plus a unit that is loud of enough to still have music playing too. I don't think I could cope with a 5 hour drive and no music! Plus good reception in built up areas (ie London) and as few wires as possible. I don't want much really!!

Thanks to anyone that can help me!!!!
Hobbers Confused
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benefit with a PDA set-up is that you can use the PDA to sync your outlook diary, tasks etc. and take it with you.

I have a 2210 and must say am very impressed. TomTom 3 software is excellent, with 3D views and the voice control is acceptable, even with music playing as long as the level is reasonable.... I am just looking around at a BT GPS now to replace my wred one.

There are several different ways to mount the PDA in the car, the two I found most acceptable are the suction cup stuck to the windscreen and the clip which fits into the vent. I am currently using a magnetic variety which is very neat. I had one of those clamp things which hold the PDA at the side, but when it was hot, the clutch mech inside started to slide and the PDA sliped out a couple of times.

Get a nice fast SD card for the maps, you will probably be supplied with a 128 Meg card, onto which you can fit the whole of GB. Avoid Sandisk cards. Ebay is a good source, they are cheaper in the States. the 2210 has both a CF and SD slot. Some say the CF works better, but again it depends on the card quality & speed.

Go for it, it will keep you company and you will not regret it, once you get the hang of it!!

Steve
Hobbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info Steve. I am very tempted by the PDA, however I am also a laptop user, so not sure if a PDA would have any additional benefit??

If I were to get a PDA GPS, would you recommend having a bluetooth receiver that has to be mounted seperately to the dashboard, or one of those receivers that flip up from the back of the PDA?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Hobbers wrote:
If I were to get a PDA GPS, would you recommend having a bluetooth receiver that has to be mounted seperately to the dashboard, or one of those receivers that flip up from the back of the PDA?

can you slip your laptop into your pocket? Wink

It's down to personal preference but if you only intend to use the GPS in-car and decide on a PDA then a wired receiver would probably be best - less fiddling and quicker position fix when switched on.
If you decide to go walkabout with it then bluetooth is the way to go - great for out of the car and can be positioned anywhere inside the car for optimum reception.
The flip-up style (CF od SDIO GPS) which plug into the expansion slot are less effective in-car as you have less control over antenna position so could affect reception.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbers wrote:
Thanks for all the info Steve. I am very tempted by the PDA, however I am also a laptop user, so not sure if a PDA would have any additional benefit??

I am also a Laptop user, but the benefit of a PDA as ICSYS says, it slips into your pocket and is instantaneous access in the palm of your hand. Then sync up back at base.
I would not use the CF type of GPS due to reception within the car, which is what I use mine for, and I don't go climbing mountains. If you are looking at using the software out of the car, then probably TomTom is not the best, as it tries to put you on the nearest road. For getting from A to B by car, and finding B, I find TT excellent.

HTH,

Steve
Hobbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks to both of you for all the advice! I don't plan on using it when walking due to the personal safety issues - don't want to get mugged for it! So would you say it would be more value for money to get the PDA rather than TomTom Go?
If so, is the Ipaq 2210 with TT3, TT car kit, and bluetooth receiver a good bundle to go for??
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid I have a biased opinion as I had the same dilema and made the choice a couple of years ago.

I had some problems with an iPaq 3850, which was unreliable and kept crashing, but this was a lemon. I eventually replaced it with a 2210 and have been very impressed ever since.
Everything works very well. I am impressed every time I use it.
I will stress again the need for good fast SD cards, this makes a big difference to the performance as the maps are stored there. For example, I have a 32x SD card, and the route Lands End to John O'Groats takes about 1 min 40 secs to calculate and come up with the map. On the Sandisk CF card, it takes 5 mins!! The Sandisk is OK for storing Music though, another benefit of geting a PDA.

I am sure that people with Go would say that this was the better Idea, personally if I was making the decision now, I would not want to leave it in the car, so it means I would be carrying it round with me to meetings. Confused

Hope this helps,

Steve
Hobbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
Thanks again for the great advice! Not Worthy
It does sound like PDA is the way to go if the navigation software is just as good as the in-car systems?!
Ipaq 2210's seem to be very popular and getting great reviews, so I think I'll go for that with TT3. Now just got to decide what type of receiver would be best in the car? Bluetooth, wired, or flip-up?!
This decision making business is a nightmare!! Surprised
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going through the same agonies. I now think that any solution is the right one, within your criteria. You pays your money, don't buy crap, and things will work and do the business.

TTGO is brilliant. It just works wihout any real messing about with software loading etc but is a dedicated car system although you can put it under the seat when you park, if you need a PDA the obviously a good PDA takes priority along with good Nav software. If you really don't need a PDA but like the portability then the Mitac Mio 168 with built in GPS is great and you can choose any software you want.

Me? I'm still edging for the Mitac with Co Pilot V5 as I really don't want a PDA as such and the lower spec Mitac does the job and folk here seem to rate them as a Nav tool, especially with Co Pilot 5. If there was a TTGO type device with Co Pilot 5 I would go for that though. But hey, the Mitac from Global Positioning Systems is nearly £50 cheaper than TTGO and £50 buys you a lot of SD card!

One thing I have gleaned is that if you choose a seperate PDA, 2210 for instance, then the neat solution is bluetooth with a good quality receiver. Like I say all are good, all do the job with different glitches from time to time.
Hobbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the useful info. Does the Mio with its inbuilt receiver have an equally good reception to the other units available, like bluetooth??
Can I also ask what your preference is with CoPilot Live 5 over TT3?
Thanks!!!
Driving
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading a lot of the posts here (excellent forum!) and getting some good replies to various questions its a bit of a moot point. Mitac has its critics but they are way out weighed by the plaudits. Others can answer this with more technical authority but again, reading the various posts Bluetooth "should" give you a better fix , in most circumstances. BUT this is not to say that Mitac is poor for most it appears to be more than sufficient and only a few have problems. Bluetooth is not perfect and lockups, dropped signals and problems setting up do appear to occur. But again most seem happy. I'm going for the Mitac 'cos in my humble view it works enough for most uses and the built in GPS gives it an easier portability, especially if you also get OS maps for walking etc. I don't really want a PDA anyway although the Mitac is not shoddy in that respect its just not the "latest"...If Bluetooth , or wired, seperate GPS gives better lock then fine but enough is good enough for me. Cheaper too and less "fiddly" but thats just me.

Having read the various reviews on TTGO, TT3, Navman etc etc it is obvious that all are excellant products....with the usual software irritiating problems. Most of the problems are minor though and people seem to work around them once they know what they are. Another contradiction is that one mans problem doesn't affect another. Depends on the route you do, where you live and all sorts of factors. As I said before all are pretty good and the minor glitches they have are not showstoppers. Read Dave's Co Pilot 5 review/sticky in the Co Pilot forum. It's a piece of work and persuaded me of Co Pilots benefit to me. It just seemed to promise a better service and functionality than the rest. Now thats a subjective statement! and plenty would respond in defence of TT3, etc. but its my view so there!

Fact is I would not be upset to get a TTGO if it was £50 - £100 cheaper, say £350, but its not and I'm not convinced by the varying comments over Tom Tom support with upgrades to pay the extra. ALK (Co Pilot ) "seem" to be better. I say "seem" but again its only my view based on the many things I've read here. You may have a different perception but for me the Mitac with Co Pilot 5 fits the bill. Any issues over signal lock and I will plug in the external aerial but plenty never seem to need to do this so thats good enough for me.

Phew! Bit of a shaggy dog story but I feel better now....
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again...

Having read through the replies here and see that you only intend to use your kit in the car, I would still suggest a wired GPS. This can be neatly installed, will give you an instant fix, no messing about with chargers etc, and the mouse (receiver) can be positioned for optimal reception. Using a PDA mount it would be semi-portable, you simply tuck the wires under the dash. You said you wanted as few wires as possible...In the end it will be a neat installation and is the best solution for permanent in-car use.

I'll mention bluetooth again as this can also be positioned for optimal reception, it is wireless and portable so if you intended at some point to use your kit away from the car (as I do) then bluetooth would be the all-round best solution.

'Topgazza' has made some very valid points and you are inevitably going to get mixed opinions. In the end it comes down to asking yourself what do I want? do I need a PDA? will I use it away from the car once I have it? how much money do I want to part with?

Better to cover every eventuality and be sure you have exactly what you need than make an expensive mistake.

Thumbs Up
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys is right. A permie car system would seem to indicate TTGO or even the, expensive, Garmin offerings but the flexibility of a wired system in the choice of software you can choose is compelling. You could change the PDA, GPS or software to suit your requirements and ....your pocket. Adding 3rd party software additions is easier as well.

Bluetooth gives you that extra bit of portability but if you don't need it then fine.

Mitac type solution ditto.

Bottom line is the software, as I've said before. Read the many product reviews on this forum (the various personal posts can paint a mixed picture so make sure you balance both sides, positive and negative). Take the Mitac again. A couple of folk complained about poor reception particualrly in London. Damn, I thought, I'll look at something else. Then you read several others saying they have no issues driving around London. Great, I think, lets look at Mitac again.

Which is why I've focussed on the right software for my uses, Co Pilot 5, and a non fancy PDA with ease of use and setting up, Mitac. I know other setups would be "better" but this one will do the business for me.....I hope!

Easy huh?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an ideal world you would be able to call into your local GPS stockist and 'play' with all the various systems, setups and software. Maybe even trial them before buying... Alas, this is fiction.

At least it is in my area. The only retailer I could find locally that stocked any GPS was PC World. They had TomTom and I could not even get a demo.

Your best bet would be to attend the GPS meet on Saturday where you can see many different hardware set-ups and software offerings.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys, I don't want to divert the thread although this could help. I note you have OS mapping on your 2210. For walking?

Also Smart software. Obviously happy with it. I assume the setup is portable, i.e outside of a car?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: