Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS for off road cycling
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS for off road cycling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: GPS for off road cycling Reply with quote

I currently use TT3 for my car routing, but I would also like to use GPS for some off road cycling. This means I need to identify Cycle paths, bridleways and rights of way etc so I guess that OS maps are the order of the day.

On paper I have the 1:25k and 1:50k maps of my area and the 1:25k are much better for bridleways etc. I do not live in a typical tourist spot such as the lake district so I think Memory Map etc only offer 1:50k mapping for me.

Is anyone using GPS for this already that can share experiences on coverage and usability?

Is there any 1:25k mapping for the whole UK available electronically?

Any recommendations of which topographical software to go for?

Would I do any better with a dedicated GPS from the likes of Garmin?

Thanks
WillyRose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Piggy-back Reply with quote

I hope BrummyGit doesn't mind me piggy-backing on his post.
I'm in the process of spec'ing hardware and software for off-road cycling.
A gang of 6 of us cycle around the south of England and would like to avoid getting lost.
Garmin seems very US-centric and their "support" eMail respondents lack initiative.
Am interested to hear of experiences of like-minded off-roaders. What's the best hardware? What's the best software? And can things like Memory Map be used with all hardware or only some?
Halfpiste
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a fair bit of on and off-road cycling. I already have an Ipaq 3970, Navman 3450 and TomTom 3 but figured that this was too expensive to write off should I take a spill. Plus the battery life isn't that great. I also looked at Memory Map which is great software but a tad expensive, plus my requirements were for 1:25000 mapping and they do not currently cover the whole of the UK.
I now use a Garmin Etrex Legend handheld (which is inherently waterproof) on a handlebar mount with Mapsource to give fair to middling street level detail. On the PC I run Tracklogs software available from www.tracklogs.co.uk which offers UK digital OS coverage at 1:25000. A route can then be planned on the PC and ported to the hand held as a tracklog, which can be followed on the Etrex on the map view at 300' scale. The Tracklogs software also gives some nice print options if you want a hard copy of the route, together with the usual 3D and elevation views.
This might not be the perfect set up but it works for me and beats a map and compass any day.

Hope this helps

Colin
Flat_Eric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started using Memory map on my Ipaq 2210 in combination with the TomTom gps. The 1:50k maps are about £35 an area, its a big area, and it works really well. The 1:25k maps are very detailsed, very big and very expensive. 1:50k works fine for off-road cycling. (for me..)I reckon memory map is worth the money.
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Memory Map with a 2210 on my bike and it's the best thing I ever bought. Truly ! Yes the vast majority of what I do is on road but I do a bit of off road now and again.

I use a RAM mount which holds the 2210 very well indeed and with the arm that comes with it allows me to position the 2210 out of harms way directly over the handle bar stem. This affords some protection, but I have to say having come off a couple of times, I was ready to go shopping again, but luckily everything was fine.

You can get ruggedised cases, but I've not tried one as yet.

As for battery I get 5 or so hours out of the Ipaq and with a battery extender can charge the GPS and Ipaq anywhere in the wilds to give me a weekend hassle free cycling.
Memory Map
Flat_Eric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in some more info on the battery extender
semrots
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what worth I'm a newish user of a 2210 with a Haicom CF GPS. Its used in the car in a mount using TT3, but on holiday in Scotland I got Memory Map 1:50,000. As a family we went for some walks (OK strolls for you serious walkers) and it was interesting to use the GPS.

However, I digress, knowing the CF GPS would cane the battery when away from the car I got hold of a plug in battery unit from Global Positioning systems. Basically its a box that takes 4xAA batteries with an on/off switch and a short cable with serial plug for bottom of the 2210. Don't know how long it would extend usage for, but if its got 4x 2300maH batteries in it it should last a while! Box measures 65x70mm and is 20mm deep (i.e. effectively the size of the 4 batteries. The power lead is about 200mm long, but it does plug into the battery box via a barrel type plug so you've a rigid plug about 30mm sticking out of one side corner. Its called a PC Mobile Battery box extender and part code P1827 will find it on Global positioning systems site (or just put battery box in the search field). Cost just short of £10 incl VAT.

Box does say inside it 1.5v batteries, but I've used Nimh rechargeables so they're 1.2V, which puts it at 4.8V as opposed to 6v, and the Ipaq charger is rated at 5v so... Whether the box has a voltage circuit in I don't know, but better safe than sorry (although its a Seicom mount in the car which warms the Ipaq daily!!) When plugged in the Ipaq is obviously recharging from it as the orange charging light flashes and the battery screen shows it as being on AC (Mains)

I think there's a review on this site of this or something similar somewhere, which is where I got the idea from, so all credit to this site!! :D

Lastly I also used an Aquapac to keep it dry, and it should fit in their bigger PDA bag, not the smaller PDA one which fits the 221o nice and snug but no room for anything else. Mine fits fine with the pack behind the Ipaq. Only snag was whilst the Ipaq and CF GPS will fit, and the Ipaq and the battery pack will fit, I hadn't allowed for the depth of the serial plug in the base of the Ipaq so when using the CF card and battery pack its just to long for the pack! Sad

However, for the length our walks i only got 1 warning abot the internal Ipaq battery the nearing the end (about 1.5 to 2 hours) when using it on its own. Aquapaks site has full details of all the waterproof bags, and a wonderous array there is, and they did a speedy mail order. Of course their bages are just waterproof not ruggiderised.

Hope this helps

Rod
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat_Eric wrote:
I'd be interested in some more info on the battery extender

The battery extender is a very simple device about £8 from shirtpocket.co.uk. It simply takes 4 AA rechargeable batteries. Get the best NiMh you can. With this extender I can plug both the Ipaq and my Fortuna Clip-on into it since it has a female USB socket. It works like a dream and has got me out of trouble in a couple of times on longish day trips. If you take a couple of sets of AAs you can be in the wilderness all weekend without having to worry about getting to a power source to charge up your PDA/GPS.

Battery extenders come with all sorts of connections for your PDA, but I like this one since I have USB leads for both PDA and my GPS. A good set of batteries will charge the PDA three times from one good charge
Memory Map
Flat_Eric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, as a relative newbie I appreciate this useful info.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: