Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - saved gps60c tracks missing time data ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

saved gps60c tracks missing time data ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: saved gps60c tracks missing time data ? Reply with quote

I have a garmin gpsmap60c and mapsource v6.3.

If I transfer track data from the gps60c in to mapsource then tracks that I have "saved" in the gpsmap60 are missing all the time data, whereas the activelog data has all the time data in so can calculate avg speeds, see overall route time etc. I was using the save function in the track log so I could easily split out climbs that we had done from the drives to and from - seemed like the obvious way - but if it strips out time data that's not great.

Any ideas on whether this is pilot error on my part, a secret setting, or a product "feature" ?

Many thanks for any help for a newbie (I have scanned all the garmin postings and can't see any mention of this - nor in any faq's - so hopefully this isn't in the bleedin' obvious categoy...).

John.
johnnyg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I actually got a reply from Garmin on this (which was a pleasant surprise) - so I'll respond to my own posting - may be useful for someone else.

Turns out that with the GPSMap60C if you "save" the tracklog on the unit to free up space and help you identify which part of the active tracklog was a particular walk etc then it strips all the time data - not only when the tracklog started, but all intermediate timings. Means that mapsource can't then give you speeds, and you can't identify when you actually did a particular route. It means that saving tracklogs is a fairly useless feature at the moment - so you have to upload the active tracklogs and then edit out all the parts you don't want. A definite minus point for this Garmin product and mapsource

Garmin are apparently "looking in to methods to allow this data to transfer" - which doesn't sound like there'll be any change to this behaviour in the near term, but may indicate they recognise it's a pain in the neck...

John.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: