Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS aerials
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS aerials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spectric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: GPS aerials Reply with quote

Hi all

I curently use a 4100 Navman bluetooth but the question is what is the best one for walking you can get. I was told the Garmin GA 29 was really good but not bluetooth any views ?

Is bluetooth better than a hardwired setup ?

Roy
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray - are you after an external antenna for your existing GPS receiver (so you can have the antenna always 'in the sun' and not bother where the receiver is) or a whole new GPS for walking etc ?

Typically the external antenna will plug into a suitable orifice on the GPS receiver, rather than connect wirelessly by any means - and there are (at least) 2 types - MCX & MMCX - that vary broadly by manufacturer (as in if they use MCX on one, they tend to use it on all of their receivers - though this isn't a bulletproof rule)
spectric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunnymonster wrote:
Ray - are you after an external antenna for your existing GPS receiver (so you can have the antenna always 'in the sun' and not bother where the receiver is) or a whole new GPS for walking etc ?

Typically the external antenna will plug into a suitable orifice on the GPS receiver, rather than connect wirelessly by any means - and there are (at least) 2 types - MCX & MMCX - that vary broadly by manufacturer (as in if they use MCX on one, they tend to use it on all of their receivers - though this isn't a bulletproof rule)

Hi there

I am looking at one for my landrover nav system which needs to be an active type producing NMEA data stream. This I want wired not bluetooth and am not sure whether to use RS232 or USB.

For walking I use the IPaq which it seems limits my available choices.

Again I would think a hardwired system would be better as you do not have the issues with Bluetooth and originaly I got my 2210 as I thought I could use the Navman sleeve with it, but cannot.

I could use a card in my CF slot but then I need this left available for storing my map data on.

All suggestions & ideas greatly appreciated

thanks Roy
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there may be a difference in terminology here:

A GPS Antenna is exactly that - an antenna for a GPS receiver.

A GPS Receiver is the item that decodes the satellite output and produces the NMEA output either via a Bluetooth emulated COM port, a CF emulated COM port or a 'real' COM port.

The advantage of the Bluetooth solution is that they usually have their own on board power supply so don't drain your pocket PC's battery. You can usually also add an external antenna if you want to conceal the receiver.

A CF GPS takes up your CF slot and also drains your pocket PC's battery - and if you're not using an external antenna on it, you will also need to keep the GPS part somewhere it has a clear view of the sky - depending on your PPC the amount of time you can stay powered up may not be sufficient for your walks.

A wired GPS typically requires an external power source (eg. the 12V accessory socket in your car) - so most are inapplicable for walking (unless you want to carry a car battery ;) on your walk). However you have more freedom in placing the antenna in your vehicle for better satellite reception.

Depending on the length of your walks, you might be better advised to get a 'standalone' GPS - they typically have a much longer run time, and are much more robust than the pocket PC solution. Something like the Fortuna http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/gpsmart.php does Bluetooth and also acts as a handheld - but of course doesn't hold maps - which may or may not be important to you.

For an iPaq 2210 - you have the potential to use both CF or SD cards for holding your data, and of course you can even get SDIO-based GPS - but they cost more than the equivalent CF receiver and they are rarer. Another option for those who only have a CF slot is this device http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?id=400

I've been using a Magellan 315 for walking for over 3 years now and it's served me very well indeed. Of course that's a very old receiver now - but it still works Laughing

When I bought the iPaq I initially bought a CF-based GPS, which came with an external antenna - which again has worked well for approximately 6 months - recently I upgraded to a bluetooth receiver, for no other reason than I wanted a new toy - so far I've had no bluetooth-related issues at all despite a week and a half of very intensive usage.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: