Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ipaq 2210 with TomTom BT or CF GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ipaq 2210 with TomTom BT or CF GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevilsAdvocate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: ipaq 2210 with TomTom BT or CF GPS Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm toying with what combination of PDA/GPS. I have settled on the ipaq 2210 but can't decide between the TomTom bluetooth option or the CF option.

I've read alot of the issues around TTN3 but still happy to go with it.

Pros/Cons of the 2 options to me are:

BT Pros:

easy connection to other devices
no wired connection
power up without waiting for PDA

BT Cons

messier if you wish to use for walking/biking

CF Pros

neat handheld GPS device for walking/biking

CF Cons

Signal issues in a car unless you use the HAICOM 303E bundle which allows wired connection
Drain on PDA battery

I will mainly use in the car but the walking/biking option is nice and I guess that is the driving factor for the CF solution.

Anyone got any other pros/cons or real life experience that might help me decide.

Thanks in advance.
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have a CF receiver and until last week also had a BT receiver - used with an ipaq 2210. I am currently awaiting delivery of another BT receiver that will give me longer battery life than my earlier model.

I am extremely pleased with my CF receiver and it works well but I would advise that you go for the BT option for the following reasons:-

1. The CF card takes power from your ipaq battery and will therefore give you limited operational time.
2. The BT unit will work nicely from within a rucksac or similar while you are walking.
3. The CF unit is vulnerable to damage (snapping off?) while you are walking rough terrain or similar.
4. If you use the CF unit in a car, unless you use an external aerial (supplied with the Globalsat also), you need to mount it for a clear view through the screen.
5. If you mount the unit with CF anywhere in the windscreen area, the CF unit adds to potential obstruction of view.
6. Dependant upon various factors, a BT unit can used from within a glovebox or concealed place within your car.
7. If you use a CF unit, you are prevented from storing maps on CF cards which can be cheaper and more reliable than SD.

The overall factor to consider if you use a BT unit with an SD on ipaq is - get a good quality SD card - plenty of advice within these forums.

Steve
Nissan Connect
Darth_Vader
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I don't think that there is a one ansewr fit all here. Rather it is a case of swings and roundabouts dependig n each individual requirements.

That said I am using a CF GPS with the 2210 and am very happy with it except fot TTN3! It is extremely neat and portable and can be disconnected from the car in seconds - useful when bursting for the loo!

I mainly use mine in the car and plug it into the lighter socket so battery life is not a problem. I have used the Haicom 303E/2210 in both my wifes Clio and the XJS coupe and have not had any problems with picking up satellites. I have a suction mount and place this low as possible resting on the centre of the dash and it does not obstruct nor distract the view (may be different with other cars though)

When I go hiking or sailing I take a battery pack which can be used to top up the internal battery oh and I also encase the hardware in a waterproof jacket which keeps water, leaves, grass mud etc at bay. I also have he Haicom external aerial and this is useful if I need to go to the chart table below deck.

There is an issue with SD cards and you can find a lot of discussion on these forums. I can however recommend the Simpletech Pro-X as it is very fast - One long route used to take about 2 mins with an Integral SD card is now down to 10 secs. I got mine on ebay for no more than a CF card.

One last point if you are planing to use TT Traffic then you will have to revert to wired option on the GPS as the BT will be taken by the phone.

Anyway enjoy choosing and then using your kit.

Cheers

DV

iPAQ 2210 ROM 1.00
Pocket PC 4.4.1081
256 MB Simpletech Pro-X SD
Haicom 303E CF
TTN3.03 GPS 3.03
Checkpoint 3.2
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth_Vader wrote:
One last point if you are planning to use TT Traffic then you will have to revert to wired option on the GPS as the BT will be taken by the phone.

This may depend on your PDA. I’m using an iPAQ 3970 running PPC2002, which has TTNav3.04T (traffic) loaded. This set-up is able to run with a Bluetooth GPS receiver (Fortuna Clip-On) and also connect, via Bluetooth, to my Nokia 6310i to connect to TT Traffic.

The GPS receiver and the phone should use different Bluetooth ports. It’s the phone that can’t normally run two Bluetooth connections e.g. one with the PDA and another with either a headset or a car kit.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DevilsAdvocate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. after reading various reviews plus your helpful info I'm going for:

IPAQ 2210
Tomtom3
Fortuna Clip-on

The fortuna seems to give me that ideal car/walk/bike option especially with the v2 firmware that removes lag on the XT mode.

Thanks once again.

regards

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: