Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please Help! I'm pulling my hair out!! Fortuna/GPS software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help! I'm pulling my hair out!! Fortuna/GPS software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twotonemark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Please Help! I'm pulling my hair out!! Fortuna/GPS software Reply with quote

Hi,

Received my Fortuna with PrymeNav gps software (Navtech) today from global positioning systems.

I have put the maps on my 256mb card

I have powered up the fortuna BT receiver and made a connection with my Dell Axim X30 through BT manager. When looking at active connections it shows under 'Incoming'.

I opened the PrymeNav on my Axim and set to COM 8 and baud 38400.

But I do not seem to have any communication between the receiver and the software. The receiver GPS led is lit green and the BT led is blinking.

Also the BT link drops after a couple of minutes yet BT is still on on my Axim but I have to double tap the Clip on icon again.

So any ideas guys and girls I could relly do with some help. I'm pulling my hair out. I have read quite a few old posts before troubling you all but they haven't helped my situation. Thanks in advance. I'm off to bed to try and sleep but I bet I'll be awake all night being annoyed by my problem.

By the way I printed out the 'In Depth' review of this bundle from the site I bought it from see http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/editors_reviews.php?product_id=742&category_id=&rp=viewprod.php
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a chnce to try with another Pocket PC or another BT receiver? (Maybe at a friend's place?) Thant way you can isolate the problem better. It should have worked if you follewd the review you mentioned.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
twotonemark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Do you have a chnce to try with another Pocket PC or another BT receiver? (Maybe at a friend's place?) Thant way you can isolate the problem better. It should have worked if you follewd the review you mentioned.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone else who is in to PDA/GPS.

Any other ideas what I should do/try next?
Waltzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using COM7 - it's the only port I could get to work with my X30.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is 38000 baud definately the one to be using? Standard NMEA is 4800.
twotonemark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Thanks for replying people: ) Reply with quote

Quote:
Waltzer Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:01 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try using COM7 - it's the only port I could get to work with my X30

I will try that tonight if not over the weekend. I' ll let you know...thanks!

Quote:
nej Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:11 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is 38000 baud definately the one to be using? Standard NMEA is 4800.

I followed the instructions as per the small info leaflet that came with the receiver and on the in depth review I linked to in my first post above. By the way what does NMEA stand for Question

---------------------------------------------
This morning I posted my problem on Global Positioning Systems website forum and unexpectabled had a phone call from their Tech Support a nice chap called Clint who offered his assistance. So I am going to try uninstall and re-install the software this weekend and it still no joy Clint said to call them up and arrange for the receiver to be sent to them so they can test it.

I will let you know how I get on over the weekend. But if anyone else reading has a thought/suggestion please do post it.

Many thanks.
Mark.
twotonemark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: What about... Reply with quote

I have just looked at my Bluetooth Serial Port Settings.....could these be the issue?

At the moment they are:

Ports:
Inbound Com port 8
Outbound Com port 7

Or am I clutching at straws....
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inbound means the Pocket PC is consuming the service (the SPP of the receiver) . Outboud means the Pocket PC is ready to serve other devices with a serial port . So yes, you are clutching at straws. COM8 it is. Definitely.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMEA = National Maritime Electonics Assosciation. A NMEA string (or sentance) is a standard way of transmitting data containing a header, the body of the message with the main data and a checksum at the end. It's used for many applications, of which GPS is one. Each header has a unique identity (i.e. $GPRMC is one of the ones used by GPS) to identify it.

Have a look at http://www.kh-gps.de/nmea-faq.htm which explains the details of the different GPS NMEA strings (if you are that bothered!)
twotonemark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: PROGRESS!! Reply with quote

nej thank you for that info.

Good news Waltzer i tried Com 7 and it worked straight away. I've only used XT not ST.

Do I need to leave it sitting on XTRAC for 45 minutes before trying ST?
Will I only get gps connection on ST when outdoors?

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU WHO REPLIED SO QUICKLY AND GAVE YOUR HELP AND ADVICE!!!: )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: