Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Initial City Link
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Initial City Link
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Initial City Link Reply with quote

Please forgive my ranting but I have to let off steam.
I've ordered a packaged deal from totalpda (TT3 bluetooth/ipaq2210/TT car kit) that was delivered yesterday by these couriers but I was at work.
(in 2 parcels! Confused - why not 1?)
No complaints about totalpda as they despatched the goods within 2 days of me ordering but the courier company is a different matter.
I rang them yesterday when I finished work but it was too late as they closed at 18:00 (Preston depot). The card they dropped through said they were open Saturday morning from 08:00-12:00 so I rang at 08:05 to arrange collection. 'No problem' says the woman, so after driving over 30 miles I arrive to collect and I'm eventually informed that the goods are 'security tagged' and caged awaiting delivery on Monday which is no good to me as I'll be at work again. 'There's nothing I can do about it' says the guy in charge so after kicking off a bit, I told him to make sure the driver leaves my goods with any neighbour and post a card to let me know who has them. I've already complained via email to the couriers but now I have no pda and no gps which I was really looking forward to setting up this weekend. I have very little free time (virtually none) during the week so I'll have to wait till next weekend. To say I'm annoyed is an understatement.
Evil or Very Mad rant over Evil or Very Mad

Any bets on me getting just 1 parcel on Monday instead of the 2 mentioned on the card they posted. Rolling Eyes
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Initial City Link Reply with quote

Astronut wrote:
Please forgive my ranting but I have to let off steam.
I've ordered a packaged deal from totalpda (TT3 bluetooth/ipaq2210/TT car kit) that was delivered yesterday by these couriers but I was at work.

You can hardly blame the courier if you didn't give them an alternative address. If I know I'm going to be at work I always get my order delivered to my work address.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly,you get the option for an "ALTERNATIVE" delivery address. After all,Initial City Link ARE RESPONSABLE for the security of you goods until delivered, and SIGNED FOR. Most if not ALL couriers have a responsabilty for secure delivery, especially expensive items.
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about the alternative address option and I don't mind collecting from the depot myself if I'm not there when they deliver BUT what I do mind is being told there would be 'no problem' collecting it on Saturday morning and then, after travelling 30 miles and wasting a whole morning, that they can't give me the goods. Now why couldn't they have told me that BEFORE I drove over there!?!? :x
The way I see it, they owe me for the wasted fuel. The least they can do is reimburse the delivery charge.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astronut wrote:
I know about the alternative address option and I don't mind collecting from the depot myself if I'm not there when they deliver.

But why waste time and fuel, the girl in question may well have only been part time saturday worker just to answer the phone and not aware of the security issue.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Astronut on this one, if the girl was not fully aware of the security situation, then that is City Link's fault for not briefing her properly or she should have said that she could not guarantee that the item could be collected. Otherwise, what is the point of having her manning the phone line.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had many bad experiences with City Link (in our office they earned the term "Shitty Link" due to all the screw-ups they made!).
I've had countless damaged items, and a couple of packages that simply didn't arrive.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drummer wrote:
I agree with Astronut on this one, if the girl was not fully aware of the security situation, then that is City Link's fault for not briefing her properly or she should have said that she could not guarantee that the item could be collected. Otherwise, what is the point of having her manning the phone line.

While I agree with you, in an ideal world this shouldn't happen but a lot of companies tend to use students/young girls at weekends as it's cheaper than using thier full time staff and are only given the minimum of training.
Had the OP given his work address for delivery knowing he would have been at work. He would have had his package on friday and non of the associated hassel.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly on Friday I was expecting 2 packages from CityLink, one from Alk and on from Total PDA. The ALK was sent for delivery before 12:30 and the TotalPDA on was for next day delivery.

The driver turned up at about 10:00 with the ALK package. I mentioned that I was expecting 2 from them today. Not on my sheet he said and showed me. I just assumed Total PDA didnt manage to get the package out.

I was wrong! At about 4:30 the same driver turned up looking a bit sheepish with my TotalPDA package.

The CityLink system obviously is unable to optimise multiple deliveries to the same road let alone the same address.
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a security issue with delivering goods ordered over the telephone by credit card to an address other than the one to which the card is registered. Some companies just won't do it.

My home and work are next door to each other and sometimes it is easier to get the stuff sent to home and put a note on the door for the driver rather than try to officially get it sent to work.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigfatjohn wrote:
There is also a security issue with delivering goods ordered over the telephone by credit card to an address other than the one to which the card is registered. Some companies just won't do it.

Agreed, but a lot will. 3 companies I deal with have my Credit Card linked to my home address but also have my works address and when ordering online I am given the option of selecting either address for delivery.
When ordering over the phone I have found most suppliers are willing to agree to an alternative delivery address if the delivery time they give means that there will be nobody at home to accept delivery.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were burnt out of our building back in November and moved to temporary offices, we put a big sign up at our original place showing where we had moved to, and this was fine for all couriers except Citylink. We even sent them a fax asking them to temporarily redirect all parcels to us, but they wouldn't do it - they said we had to contact all of our suppliers and give them the new address. As we didn't know how long we would be out for, I was reluctant to start stuff like that. As luck would have it, the usual Citylink drivers soon got used to it and started delivering to us again, but I was amazed at how unhelpful they chose to be.

Still, they're not alone. We use a different courier at the moment and we've had some corkers with them. One time we shipped a full kit (Handspring Visor, GPS, software, mounting kit, > £400 worth at the time) and because the person wasn't in, they left the goods IN THE WHEELIE BIN! Luckily we managed to find out this piece of stupidity before the bin got emptied.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just be yhankfull it was dhl formerly securicor there horendus but mistakes do happen one parcel out of xxxx thousand isnt that bad as for the security issue with the software t
e answering the phone may not have known the package was a high value item and may have wrongly thought it was normal package

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I take it all back. I ordered a new hard disk yesterday from Aria and it arrived via CityLink just before 7am this morning despite being on a standard next-day delivery!
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
While I agree with you, in an ideal world this shouldn't happen but a lot of companies tend to use students/young girls at weekends as it's cheaper than using thier full time staff and are only given the minimum of training.

This is true, but again, this is not our problem as a customer. When these errors happen, City Link need to realise they have failed in some way and wasted their customers time and try to rectify this in someway.

As for packages being left with neighbours, I always feel a bit funny about this sort of thing when they are high value items. Who would be trying to get my money back if the neeghbour claimed it had not been delivered to them 'No sorry, thats not my signature' etc...

On a related note, a friend bought a laptop earlier this year, and the courier left it leaning against his door!!! £1500 of laptop, just left their!!! We all told him to say he never got it, but he wouldn't ;)

Tbh, I think whatever courier you use, your gonna have problems from time to time...

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: