Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FIRMWARE 5 IS HERE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FIRMWARE 5 IS HERE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hemantp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus607 wrote:
Installed v5 no problem, did not have to activate, why do some people have to re-activate ?

I had the the same issue...

My theory... is that is probably all of us who are using non-original SD cards... and copied everything from the old card to a larger one. The maps just needed activating.

a l w a y s a p l e a s u r e . . .
. . . n e v e r a c h o r e
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
. . . .
This is just the program that runs on the GO. The maps will be coming soon, but are not available for download, nor will be.

If you currently have a GO then you will be running version 4.x of the software. This update will give you most, but not all, of the version 5.0 features that we reviewed here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-go-5.php

MikeB et al.,

I've yet to put v.5.0 onto the 3 cards of myTT-GO as I've only just returned from using it in France and Spain, (I'll post on it's perfomance later) but I'm a bit puzzled by the map-update info, as on the Tom Tom site it says
Quote:
Existing maps for the TomTom GO can be updated using the upgrade program on the web site.
Haven't found this upgrade program yet though!!

Now my GB map came on the TT card, all the European maps I need have been downloaded from the map CD's (bought 15/10/04)) onto virgin 512Mb cards.

Is it that re-'activation', when loading v5.0, is needed for maps off CD's
rather than the TT 'card map'?? I may well be able to answer this myself shortly, but was trying to get myself prepared for any heart-stopping 'glitches'!!!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-activation is only required if you have changed your SD card for any reason.

This is bacause the original activation was on the retail SD card. If you activated by using a product code and the www.ttcode.com website this stored the activation in a slightly different format. The new software does not recognise this. From Version 5.0 the activation will be stored in the GO on flash memory rather than the SD card.

The work around would be to perform the upgrade on your original retail SD card. This should then copy the activation to the GO flash memory correctly. Once this has been don you should be able to upgrade your other CD as the GO will already be activated for this map.

The workaround is only theoretical as I havent been able to test it as my GO has already been activated for the new maps.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonyabw60 wrote:
Hi Richard
Mine won't take the v5 upgrade for some reason,every time I try it goes back to version 4.2???????
I have even reformated the card and loaded the TTG software from the
CD that comes with the unit and done the upgrades from TT website all ok until I try v5 and it wont have it, so I don't know now what needs to be done to sort it.
I dont have anything like that number of files in the root of the SD card.
It will all work out in the end I suppose.
Tony

Do you still have your CD-ROM inserted? If so, the setup.exe will run the installation from the CD. So you will also install the application on that cd, which is version 4.2 probably.

Just remove your CD, and try the upgrade again.

If you are re-installing on a blank SD, make sure to first do the map and then the V5 upgrade, otherwise the application may get downgraded to 4.20. This is a bug in the MoWE installation.
Donk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Need to Re-Activate Reply with quote

I had this problem using my non-orginal 1GB SD card. All I did was install V5.0 on the original card and copy it all across and it worked fine.

An excellent upgrade, I must say.
Tonyabw60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuurg
Thanks for that, problem solved, CD was still in the PC.
All ok now
Tony

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: