Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bizarre routing instructions at roundabouts with v5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bizarre routing instructions at roundabouts with v5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cee_Jay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Bizarre routing instructions at roundabouts with v5 Reply with quote

I've taken TTGO with v5 installed out for a run over a couple of regular routes I use, and while most works well on three occasions it gave me bizarre instructions at roundabouts, eg. for a left turn, first exit I was instructed to 'keep right, go round the roundabout to exit five' - correct exit but a long way round! - but worse was being told to take the ninth exit at a roundabout with only five exits! The map in both instances showed my route completely round the roundabout. V4.4 never gave such instructions at these locations. Has anybody noticed any other / similar oddities with v5?

I'll reset it and try again tomorrow to see if does the same.

Chris
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find that at the A130 junction with the A12 the mapping data does not recognise the 2 roundabouts as rounderbouts, but as a series of turns. Quite interesting unless you dont know where you are going.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
You will find that at the A130 junction with the A12 the mapping data does not recognise the 2 roundabouts as rounderbouts, but as a series of turns. Quite interesting unless you dont know where you are going.

Take it over the magic roundabout in Swindon in demo mode (you can find it as a street in Swindon) and it does not really know what to do and thinks its just a normal junction. Photo of the real one here if you have never seen it!Laughing
http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm
MrPloppy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bizarre routing instructions at roundabouts with v5 Reply with quote

Cee_Jay wrote:
I've taken TTGO with v5 installed out for a run over a couple of regular routes I use, and while most works well on three occasions it gave me bizarre instructions at roundabouts, eg. for a left turn, first exit I was instructed to 'keep right, go round the roundabout to exit five' - correct exit but a long way round! - but worse was being told to take the ninth exit at a roundabout with only five exits!

I've noticed this, and I believe the reason is that if you imagine a roundabout with four exits off it, there are actually EIGHT "connections" to the roundabout; where you come off, and where you get on. On most roundabouts, these are identified on the TTG's maps as being one way only; but I believe that on some roundabouts, there's been a mistake, and the "one way" elements to the road hasn't been put on. The routing system then believes it is plausible for you to leave a roundabout at the entry "slip roads", and as such will give you an incorrect exit number. I'm pretty sure its because of something like this.
Cee_Jay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bizarre routing instructions at roundabouts with v5 Reply with quote

MrPloppy wrote:
Cee_Jay wrote:
I've taken TTGO with v5 installed out for a run over a couple of regular routes I use, and while most works well on three occasions it gave me bizarre instructions at roundabouts, eg. for a left turn, first exit I was instructed to 'keep right, go round the roundabout to exit five' - correct exit but a long way round! - but worse was being told to take the ninth exit at a roundabout with only five exits!

I've noticed this, and I believe the reason is that if you imagine a roundabout with four exits off it, there are actually EIGHT "connections" to the roundabout; where you come off, and where you get on. On most roundabouts, these are identified on the TTG's maps as being one way only; but I believe that on some roundabouts, there's been a mistake, and the "one way" elements to the road hasn't been put on. The routing system then believes it is plausible for you to leave a roundabout at the entry "slip roads", and as such will give you an incorrect exit number. I'm pretty sure its because of something like this.

No it's not miscounting the exits, if I look at the map of the route it's sending me one and a quarter times round the roundabout for some reason. If you want to try it plan a route from somewhere north of J22/M1 to the Fosse Park Shopping Centre POI. Look closely at where it sends you at the M1/M69 junction (J21). Not only does it ignore the filter road from the M1 to the A5460, but it sends you round the roundabout past the exit you need to take it on the second circuit.

Chris
DavehwT
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a roundabout query back in Dec 2004 which got a lot of response from users on TTG having problems with roundabouts.(Search on DavehwT) But it seems that TomTom are not listening.
Seriously though can one of you guys with contacts at TT give them a wakeup call on this and the other things coming to the forumfrom v5. The 300, 500,700 are not yet released but already we can identify problems they will have if they are using the same software. Alarm bells should be ringing at TT. Confused
tomcat76
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishlist wrote:
MikeB wrote:

Take it over the magic roundabout in Swindon in demo mode (you can find it as a street in Swindon) and it does not really know what to do and thinks its just a normal junction. Photo of the real one here if you have never seen it!Laughing
http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

Try the Hemel Hemstead magic roundabout, has 6 mini roundabouts on the outside!!
http://www.hemelweb.demon.co.uk/history.htm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: