Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Navigation problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Navigation problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: GPS Navigation problem Reply with quote

I programmed the TT to navigate me to Grasmere Cumbria.

When asked to input city I input Grasmere,
When asked to input street I input Church Street.

The TT planned the route and off I set, however I would normally take the M6 to junc 40 however TT took me through Carlisle on to Cockermouth heading for Whitehaven. I realised 4 mile outside Cockermouth that I was not on the right route and reprogrammed to take me to Ambleside which was 1 hour in the opposite direction.

Why has this happened and if you input a town why does it always ask for a street, what if you don’t know any streets in the town your visiting as in this instance. Rolling Eyes

And if there is no church street in Grasmere then why does TT accept this?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Snooper
IPAQ RZ1710
TT Navigator vers 4.4
Belkin TuneCast II
Snooper S4 neo

Dashboard technology
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked out a route to Grasmere and without putting a street in just pressed OK and it took me right to the centre of Grasmere. I also did it to Grasmere, Church street and it took me to Ambleside. The only reason I can see for this is that they are both in the LA22 postcode area and as Grasmere hasn't got a Church Street it went for the closest place with one.

If you don't know a street in the town you want just press OK after you have found the town Wink
snooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: GPS Nav Problem Reply with quote

Hoppy

Thanks for the reply.

However on Tom Tom Navigator version 4.4 if you press navigate to you are asked to input a city and you are asked to input a street. I am not aware of any way to not input a street you cannot just okay.

Unless you locate you destination on the map screen and hit the navigate to icon.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember with my last vist to the lakes, both of these places are in the same local authority area. Hence TomTom will assume they are actually in the same town! So although you put Grasmere it will give you a list of all the streets in that area, just so happened Chruch Street was in the wrong place!

It's one of the biggest reasons why you have to have a good idea where you are going on the map before you set out. And then you should go through the instructions step by step to make certain it is taking you to where you expected!

I'm thankful TomTom5 will have better facilities for doing this, I had that problem in Edinburgh when I wanted to go to St. Mary's Street but I mistakenly put St. Mary's Place, which is in an entirely different part of the city!
snooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Tom Tom Navigator user will I get a free upgrade to Tom Tom 5 and will this offer better facilities ie postcodes etc.

Will the upgrade include software and UK maps.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snooper wrote:
As a Tom Tom Navigator user will I get a free upgrade to Tom Tom 5 and will this offer better facilities ie postcodes etc.

Will the upgrade include software and UK maps.

Version 5 is reported as using Full UK Postcodes, which should cut out a lot of confusion.

No. The uipgrade is software only but new maps should be available also, but at a cost.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't know the names of any streets in the town you want to navigate to, there is an easy work round. When it asks you the street name, start to retype the name of the town. After the first letter the town name will appear in the street menu box. Click on that and TomTom will take you to the centre of the town you have entered.
Robin
snooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 Thanks for the work around.

Much appreciated

Snooper :P

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: