Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - cannot find address?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

cannot find address?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: cannot find address? Reply with quote

Hi all - help needed, I travel the country to attend important meetings - hence the purchase of my nav 510. I have been late for two recently - let me explain, last Friday I was due at Hackthorpe Hall Business Centre, Hackthorpe, Penthrith, CA10 2HX (full address given to me) I arrived 30 mins late as my navman could not even get near the place, it could not even find the address when I was programming it in, it did find the first 3 digits of the postal code which got me some where near (approx 20 mins off) then I was lost and had to purchase an A-Z at a local garage - I was so annoyed. Also I went to York, Merchant House, 11a Piccadilly, York, YO1 9WB and again struggled to find or programme it in - can anyone please help me here, I am beginning to lose faith and cant afford to trust what appears to be an unreliable machine, I was initially so impressed with the nav 510 but feel so frustrated with its performance of late.

I downloaded a service pack a short while ago and feel it has done the machine more harm than good - I do admit to being an inexperienced user and accept it could be my own lack of knowledge when using the system - please check these adress's out and advise if possible, I would be most grateful - cant afford it at present (only had the nav 6 months) but should I look to upgrade for reliablity?
breers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry - inaccurate details for the york address - please ignore address above and look for
2nd Floor Marlborough House
Westminster Place
York Business Park
York
YO26 6RW
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it on the TTG and I had trouble finding it. I used a Full Postcode search, and even that wasn't very helpful. Even Streetmap.co.uk wasn't any better.

I've experienced the problem and can sympathise.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - same for me. The trouble with these types of addresses is that they don't seem to be on an actual 'road', there's no road name so it makes it very hard to find them, even with a full postcode search. When you go to these places, try asking them for the nearest known street!
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first address did not contain a road name. As the Navman basis it's navigation on roads, it's no wonder it couldn't help you. Not all commercial buildings are in the POI data (thankfully - the database would be huge), so you did not have enough data to get told where to go.

Sometimes the roads places are on does not exist in the mapdata. When this this happens, as with your York address, you should report this to the map data provider (Tele Atlas for Navman products).

Ideally the Navman would have full postcodes - until then (or is that wishful thinking by me?) to get around ensure you have a known street name and number. A good idea is to ask for an intersection thats close by, preferably established roads. This way you have two road names to work with.
breers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all for your responses - i have checked the address for hackthorope via multimap and did actually see it on the a6 road just off the a66, the 510 still does not pick it up though, although it does find lowther which looks like the village next door, the trouble is i am normally on the road when address's are telephoned through to me and dont have access or the time to surf the net etc- i thought this sat nav thing supposed to do this for you - hence my investment in this as a business tool - maybe i should go back to tried and tested hardcopy maps - pull in a layby and plan my route manually - i would have arrived on time at hackthorpe had i done this. The trouble is, the two instances i posted are not the only problem address's i have come across - i just used them as examples
another example (which i have posted previously) is my home address at 65 thorntree gill peterlee county durham sr8 4sr - the oldest town in peterlee and thorntree gill is a major road - guess what, the 510 cant find it! would it help me (reliabilty wise) if i upgraded to another sat nav unit as i have lost all confidence in the 510 - especially after the hackthorpe scenario which actually cost my business money due to lateness - is the tom tom any more reliable (suspect not as it is in the same price range) can you please help me out on this
Beale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: In addition Reply with quote

Just in addition to what the other replies have said, if the Navman 510 doesn't detect the street in the Postal Code you have given it could possibly be due to the fact that Navman and the Post office have different post codes for those addresess. This does happen occasionally. If this occurs then use the address that you have been given by inputting the street name and town only or even just the street name (leave out the post code entirely) this does on the whole work however I haven't been able to check this on a Navman for the addresses you have specified as yet.

Hope this helps
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
another example (which i have posted previously) is my home address at 65 thorntree gill peterlee county durham sr8 4sr - the oldest town in peterlee and thorntree gill is a major road - guess what, the 510 cant find it! would it help me (reliabilty wise) if i upgraded to another sat nav unit as i have lost all confidence in the 510 - especially after the hackthorpe scenario which actually cost my business money due to lateness - is the tom tom any more reliable (suspect not as it is in the same price range) can you please help me out on this

If you were to use TomTom or any other GPS system that uses Tele Atlas maps you are likely to get the same problems.

What you are experiencing is map data error. Not Navman's or TomTom's fault. In remote rural areas such as Hackthorpe in Cumbria you are likely to get errors with incorrect data, in towns like Peterlee such errors are not really acceptable I know but blaming your 510 isn't the answer.
When the data provider (Tele Atlas in this case) eventually get their act together and correct these problems you will get better results.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your home address, is the road drawn on the map? If so place the cross hairs over the road and it should display the road name in the bottom of the screen. If it doesn't, then it's because the road name is not in the map data. This is a problem with the Tele Atlas map data, not the 510. If this is the case then the 510 (or Tom tom or any other product that uses TA data) will not be able to find the road. I have had a look at various internet map sites and cannot find your road on this either, so the problem is with teh map data, not the 510.

Unfortunately from the sound of it, the map data is not good enough for you to be able to use if for your purposes. Only you can decide if the benefit of having navigation for the addresses that you can find is worth it. - Out of interest - what percentage of the places you look up can you not find with the 510?
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried all the adresses on the Postcode shortcut:-

The York address would take you to the business park but does not cover the street name.

The Penrith address again shows the location of the business park adjacent to the main road, nearest town Hackthorpe bt does not show the street name and your home postcode shows up in the town you quote but the nearest road shows as Eastfield.

I currently have a TT Go, an Ipaq 1940 with UK Postcode shortcut and the wife has a Navman 510.

I tend to find that when looking for an address I check the postcode on the Ipaq and then use the nearest street / crossing street displayed on the Ipaq to find the location on the TT Go or Navman. Otherwise I have struggled to find places like yourself.

I believe that the postcode (full 7 digit) is by far the best way of finding an address and so I am particularly looking forward to this facility on the TT Go via the forthcoming upgrade.

It is a real pity that this is not available on the 510 as it is otherwise a very nice piece of kit.

Regards

Alan
breers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear that it will be available for the TOM TOM but does anyone know when a 'full post code search' will be avialable for the navman - this should help eliminate a lot of the problems I am experiencing and when will the version3 software be updated?
exiledowl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: missing addresses Reply with quote

I bought a navman510 a week ago and this week had the chance to give it an outing.
I typed in my sister in law's postcode. No joy. I typed in the road name no luck there either. They just do not exist on the database but have in their present house for 11 years! Good job I knew where i was going.

They live in a small villlage called Woodsetts just outside Worksop, hardly the back of beyond, but htey aren't in the Tele Atlas database.

Anyone got any more examples?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: missing addresses Reply with quote

exiledowl wrote:

They live in a small villlage called Woodsetts just outside Worksop, hardly the back of beyond, but htey aren't in the Tele Atlas database.

On the TeleAtlas map on my TTG I can see all the roads in Woodsetts, but there about 6 that are un-named. Probably one of those. Report it to Teleatlas.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: