Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 5 Palm & Pocket PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 5 Palm & Pocket PC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWeller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: HTC Devices? Reply with quote

Do you have any idea if this will work on the HTC range of devices? These are the XDA II, MIII, M2000 etc.

They use the Intel XScale processors so I am wondering if this is going to be compatible.

Cheers,
Neil
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: HTC Devices? Reply with quote

Hi NWeller,
NWeller wrote:
Do you have any idea if this will work on the HTC range of devices? These are the XDA II, MIII, M2000 etc.

They use the Intel XScale processors so I am wondering if this is going to be compatible.

Cheers,
Neil

I don't really now if you were asking me, but I can tell you my XDA I, and II both perform very well with my software and TomTom.
I copy for you a note from my compiler Technical Notes:

"StrongArm processor for Pocket PC is also known as:
... SA1100
... Intel PXA250
... XScale"

Hope it helps.

Jose Adell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Syt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see from the updated copyright page, TomTom is also using the data from OS.
NWeller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: HTC Devices? Reply with quote

Nomada wrote:
Hi NWeller,
NWeller wrote:

Cheers,
Neil

I don't really now if you were asking me, but I can tell you my XDA I, and II both perform very well with my software and TomTom.
I copy for you a note from my compiler Technical Notes:

... SA1100
... Intel PXA250
... XScale"

Hope it helps.

Jose Adell

I was asking anyone who would answer!!! Cheers for the reply, I was concerned it might not work on it.

I was about to buy Navigator 3 but I will wait now.

Thanks,
Neil
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Syt
Syt wrote:
As you can see from the updated copyright page, TomTom is also using the data from OS.

The about screen of TomTom always say that in any version. Any body using maps from UK needs to be licensee of OS.
That doesn't mean they are licensed to use the full databases OS has. If you go to OS web site you can see a contract. But is a general one. Later you must sign for a specific frameworkcontract that licenses you to work with this or that part of this or that database.
As matter of fact my contract specifies that I can work only for Navigation Software Products, and every subcontract I could do both software and device must be sent to them before approval.
So if you approach to me to subcontract my database, let's say for a work/software about water pipering I cannot deal with you. Even if my data is what you need. You should address your query to a OS partner allowed to deal with that kind of works.

Of course, you can have more than one "framework" contract... if you have enough money.

Jose Adell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does tomtom nav 5 include hardware button customization like in tomtom nav 3?
bobdevis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tempted to ask, did the reviewer ever before use an actual tomtom navigator 3 on pocketpc, or is the dutch version of ttn3 completely different from the uk version?

The review boasts information about exiting new features as itinerary planning, onscreen compass, a more detailed safety screen, driving to a city centre, advanced planning, which somehow already existed in my ttn34ppc version. Sure, for a ttmobile user these would be new, but not for pocketpc users.

For them, to be precise, tomtomnav5 would actually have less features than ttnav3, adding only support for landscape mode, a more cluttered interface, postcode support (dont you people use roadnames?) and regrettable slashing a real map-mode,onscreen speed display, checkpoint support, onscreen simultanious ETA and time remaining display, onscreen exact sattelite display from the feature-list.

I'm not mentioning new maps as a feature here on purpose because imho new maps do not require new software... (A map-update only for ttn3/ttn2 would be very nice)

On the rate this is going, mabye tt6 will have all original features and tt7 will have actual new features like the much awaited cross-map planning.

My personal rating:
Routing and Re-routing 7
Good, the ability to plan across maps is still missing
Map quality 6
Tomtom alway provides older maps than others and does not provide updates...
Voice Navigation Quality 7
(good especially in roundabouts, weak on motorways,
when will it be able to say names as M6 or A4 like others?)
Screen Navigation Quality 8
Very nice, some features lost though

advice & conclusion:
don't buy if you already have ttn3, too bad you are almost forced to do so because it is the only legal way to update your maps.

:A dissapointed ttn3 user...
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi bobdevis. i actually see a lot of texts on the review referring that certain features already existed in ttn3. and that for ttn3 users, there aren't many new things. palm and go users will have the most benefit. i myself am still split between keeping ttn3 or upgrading. the important feature probably missing for me is hardware button customization. if that is included, i might upgrade.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes... this will be another important point for me...
bobdevis wrote:
regrettable slashing a real map-mode

how does ttn5 browse map feature compare to ttn3's map mode?
sp-tor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the review very useful because it told me exactly what to expect when upgrading from my Navigator for Palm version.

If that upgrade turns out to be free, well that's very nice. If I have to shell out money for maps upgrade (which is likely) I'm not so happy, as the TeleAtlas maps of my region are just awful. One thing is that they don't know about roundabouts two-three years old, the big problem is that they don't contain any information whatsoever about one-way, prohibited, etc. etc. with the result that all route calculations come out wrong (the exception being the very downtown centre of my town). I bought the maps as late as December last year, too bad if I have to buy them again just to get this fixed.
If I could choose I would rather pay some amount of money for the software upgrade as long as I could get map upgrades for free.

-Tor (yes I did report the map errors to TomTom)
NWeller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have a more firm udea on when this will be released? All the Tom Tom site says is SOON.

April, May, June? Any ideas?

Neil
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If TomTom say soon, then I guess it's soon. April/May would be my guestimate.
jimbo09990
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Road block in x feet Reply with quote

I like the option to tell TTN3 that the road is blocked for the next "n" hundred yards but what I'd like to be able to do is say that in "n" hundred yards the road is blocked for "n" distance.

The reason for this is that if your in a jam you can often see a side road a little way off and you'd like to use it but if you choose alternative route then if will often not take the side road you know is OK to use! Its not very often that the road is blockd right in front of you!

Does anyone know if this will be available in TTN5?

Regards

James
Nigma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... SA1100
... Intel PXA250
... XScale"

Not strictly true...
Only the SA1100 and SA1110 are a StrongARM
The PXA250 is an XScale

All are ARM based processors, as is the Samsung ARM processor.

Basically as long as you have an ARM, strongARM or xscale in your device you should be fine running tomtom.

Anand
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have Tom Tom fixed the bug that allowed multiple copies of Navigator 3 to run concuurently?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 7 of 25

Jump to: