Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Splitting camera download zip file to smaller specific files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Splitting camera download zip file to smaller specific files
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Splitting camera download zip file to smaller specific files Reply with quote

The latest Safety Camera download has grown considerably in size with the addition of sound files, normal gatso files, speed grouped files etc... and now contains no fewer that 84 seperate elements. I know there have been several postings regarding confusion on which files should be used.

Full credit to Richard for compiling a comprehensive database.

However it would seem appropriate now to consider splitting the single download file into more manageable smaller zips that are perhaps platform specific or file type specific.

For example:
Splitting into a seperate 'safety camera zip' and 'speed grouped safety camera zip' or perhaps TomTom zip (.ov2), ALK zip (.xls) and even Navman zip (.csv)

This thread is to get people's views, the team's views and more importantly Oldie's views on this and whether such a move is beneficial and, of course, if manageable.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK it's been a week, there have been over 100 views of this thread but zero replies.

There have been numerous requests for help regarding the files contained in the download, what they are for and which should be used. This has now prompted a thread here explaining all about them.

I was expecting some form of discussion, whether it be positive or negative, on the feasability of this and I am sure that Oldie would welcome your views as well.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its strange when you get no feedback!
I tried this thread:-
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=87261#87261

It would make it far easier each time there was an update, if a file of 'new' or 'changed' locations was available, instead of starting each time with a database of 5000plus!

I have also asked for a regional database to be included but no discussion was offered. It would be covenient if I could exclude Ireland and Scotland until I wish to visit there. England could be split below N51, below N52, below N53 and above N53!

I realise that this database is a 'labour of love' and in no way is criticism implied, just discussion.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Strumble

Quote:
It would make it far easier each time there was an update, if a file of 'new' or 'changed' locations was available, instead of starting each time with a database of 5000plus!

WHY ?

What's the problem, most people travel all over the country, why would we want to start having to load different regions, if you sync to the files what the problem, it's just done for you, and if like myself you use the zip file, then you just paste over the existing, so what's the problem, just don't get it!
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your interest.

To use the database for my Garmin iQue 3600 I have to:-

Use POI converter to Import .ov2 files
Convert them to .wpt
Save each file as Mapsource .mps
Import the .mps files into PalmDesktop
HotSync the cameras into the iQue.
These will duplicate the cameras from month previous so I must delete those!
Because the iQue cannot cope with the volume of locations [it slows up the re-draw] I have to setup the iQue specific programs 'wayQue' and 'Birdwatch' to handle the new database!

Can you find me an easier way please?
To have only to add 'new or changed' locations would help.

Richard Davies has introduced POI Grouper this week, and has made my selection of locations on my 'corridor' much simpler. There must have been some reason/need for him to introduce this.

quote-'What's the problem, most people travel all over the country'

I have travelled with a Caravan to Sorento, Rome, Venice, France, Germany, Austria in the last five years but have not been above the N52 point!
When I go to Scotland again I will load the maps and cameras into the iQue.

Oh well, it's nice to discuss it! Thank you.
How about it 'icsys'?
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have special needs then I feel sure that you don't mind putting in the effort to meet them. You can use my POIManager program to determine which entries are new and which entries have been deleted. To find additions use the latest database file as the Update and the previous one as the Master. To find deletions use the latest database file as the Master and the previous one as the Update. Remember to uncheck the Append box for both uses.

I have very recently completed a program, POIGrouper, that will enable you to extract POI within a circular region.

The latest versions of both are in the Programs area on my website http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com

Am I right in assuming that most people would prefer to have complete files rather than updates Question Updates would have to specify deletions as well as additions Sad

Richard
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possibility is simply to run a 'diff' tool over a textual version of the old and new files. That will provide details of additions, deletions and changes, though care will have to be taken to figure out an appropriate sort for the database before diffing.

David
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

Oldie wrote:
Am I right in assuming that most people would prefer to have complete files rather than updates? Updates would have to specify deletions as well as additions.

I use the POI-Sync service with POIEdit. I prefer complete files to replace the older one. Even when I manually unzipped the files and copied them to my PPC I preferred replacing the old files with the new ones.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strumble wrote:
Thank you for your interest.
To use the database for my Garmin iQue 3600 I have to.......

I can see your problem, but if most or all of the files have new data then it must be more complicated to have edit the files before moving them to your unit.

Richard wrote:
Am I right in assuming that most people would prefer to have complete files rather than updates Updates would have to specify deletions as well as additions

Richard, since reading your post I have spoken to 4 other people who use the Safety Camera files, all including myself say they would only use complete files and would not use updates even if available.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my part I am happy with files I can just copy, (or not) as I choose.

For something like TTG, updates and deletions would require quite a lot of additional work.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:

It's good to see discussion has started although a file containing just 'new' or 'changed' locations is not quite what I had in mind.

Pocketgps wrote:
Richard, since reading your post I have spoken to 4 other people who use the Safety Camera files, all including myself say they would only use complete files and would not use updates even if available.

Bearing in mind the above that suggests 'complete files' are what people want, I still feel that splitting the database into file type specific downloads such as ov2 (TomTom), xls (ALK), csv(AutoRoute) etc.. would perhaps be the most relevant.
If you adopted this method, you will still have the full-uk-gatso file and speed-grouped-gatso files in the same zip which are the basis of some confusion so it may be worthwhile to find some way of seperating them within each file type.

Perhaps another idea may be to place all the above into seperate folders thereby grouping each file type together within the zip

Alternatively you could have pocketgps_uk_full_sc.zip and pocketgps_uk_speedgrouped_sc.zip where you could download the first one if you just want all the camera locations or the other if you want to be told the speed limits of each camera as you don't need both!

Splitting like this means you only need to download the relevant files therefore cutting down the confusion.

Then theres the question of the sound files... TTG and Navman can't use wav files but TTN, and to some extent CoPilot, can.

As you can see, there is lots to think abut as there is no easy solution hence why I started this thread to discuss how it would be best to break down the database into a manageable download.

I think the first question to answer should be "Should the download be split?" if the answer is Yes then the discussion can continue until a suitable solution is reached.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:

Likewise, I prefer downloading the full archive and retaining them on the PC, but also update via POI Edits sync data feature.

Quote:
Bearing in mind the above that suggests 'complete files' are what people want, I still feel that splitting the database into file type specific downloads such as OV2 (TomTom), xls (ALK), csv(Autoroute) etc.. would perhaps be the most relevant.

I have Copilot v5 & TomTom, I also use Autoroute to pre-plan destinations for TomTom by saving the destinations Lat & Long and adding it to a favourites .ov2 file in TomTom then use navigate to POI. So would then need to download all 3 files.

Quote:
Then theres the question of the sound files... TTG and Navman can't use wav files but TTN, and to some extent CoPilot, can.

This is always going to be a problem as new software and features are introduced, the original database was based around TomTom and additional programs written to use the .ov2, .bmp files, then came CheckPOInt and GPSAssist that allowed the use of .wav files to provide the warnings and ultimately to be able to use the speed related .ov2.
As navigational software is constantly being updated and new features being added, with more packages being able to use the database it's only going to grow.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
GeoffH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, I prefer downloading the full archive and retaining them on the PC, then just use the ones I want. The size of the zip file is not that big. A lot of work has been put into the FREE database, it doesn't hurt us to do our bit in sorting what parts we want, or has everything got to be put on a plate for us. There are very good readme's to help newbees
Loox 550 - 2GB SD card
iPAQ 4150 - 2GB SD card
GlobalSat BT-308 Bluetooth Receiver
GlobalSat BT-318 Bluetooth Receiver
GlobalSat BT-368 Bluetooth Receiver
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion for change (if change is really needed), would be to produce several different zip files, each with only the files needed for a particular type of GPS unit.

This would also allow the files to be pre-tweaked for various units (e.g. header lines removed from .csv files.

I am presuming that each of the file sets could be produced automatically from the master spreadsheet using macros/scripts, so would not take much admin effort, but would reduce the chance of confusion for new users.

On second thoughts, we would then have this forum full of messages from people who had downloaded the wrong version and could not make it fit with a hammer.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoffH wrote:
I prefer downloading the full archive and retaining them on the PC, then just use the ones I want. The size of the zip file is not that big. A lot of work has been put into the FREE database, it doesn't hurt us to do our bit in sorting what parts we want, or has everything got to be put on a plate for us. There are very good readme's to help newbees
The size of the zip file isn't the issue and whilst there are some readme's for 'newbees' there are still new users who require help as can be seen here and here. Weren't you a newbie once too?
JaguarV12e wrote:
My suggestion for change (if change is really needed), would be to produce several different zip files, each with only the files needed for a particular type of GPS unit.
Someone who understands the logic behind my original suggestion...
JaguarV12e wrote:
On second thoughts, we would then have this forum full of messages from people who had downloaded the wrong version and could not make it fit with a hammer.
...although I'd like to think people aren't quite that clueless.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: