Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - laptop autoroute 2005
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

laptop autoroute 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: laptop autoroute 2005 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have recently bought a GPS Receiver (Connects to USB) and Autoroute 2005 to use on my laptop.
My laptop is not new - Its a 366Mhz - PII machine - with 128kb RAM (Toshiba Portege 7020CT).

Everything is up and running - but its performing badly. I set the autoroute software to have the current position to be centred all the time. I think my laptop can't really handle it - as the map adjusts itself (every few seconds) all the street names disappear (which is not that much of a problem - but the constant flashing of the street names on and off is annoying) - what is a problem is that the actually icon of my position disappears and does not reappear for a few seconds or so later. Its useless for navigating.

Things get even worse if I decide to have the map rotate automatically.

If i have the map static I dont get any problems - the receiver seems to be doing a good job.

If I set the map to centre, rotate and also trace my route it will do a fine job of tracing the route exactly but U only get to see anything when you have stopped the car and it has had time to catch up. While your driving its just flashes up useless information. The infomation is current but there are long periods of nothing.

I would like to know what is the problem? Is my laptop too slow? What if I were to buy more memory for my laptop? Will increased RAM fix the problem? The max memory I can have is 192kb (will cost about 35pounds) thats 64kb extra from what I have now. Dont want to waste my money if it will have no affect.

Is autoroute 2005 not so good? I have looked at other software they say U need 800Mhz computer. Autoroute just says you need a PII machine.

Is my GPS receiver not good?

Thanks
ChampionC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Pentium M 1.6ghz with 512 Ram and Autoroute 2005 works perfectly. I recently used it while on a plane and the map was shifting fine. May I suggest that you zoom out by one notch and this may help. I remember on my old laptop that it was slow going over ground but you could whiz across the seas so this was down to the power of the laptop. As far as I remember, my old one was a PIII 500 and had 384 Ram so the problem may well be the speed of the processor but it could also be the video graphics memory since it is trying to redraw alot of detail very quickly.

Best way to check is to turn off the keep in centre position and if it then shows the current position moving around, then you may be best to stick with it in this way

C

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: