Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion PNA100 PDA/Satnav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion PNA100 PDA/Satnav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mdillon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Medion PNA100 PDA/Satnav Reply with quote

Hi Everybody, :D
was bought a Medion PNA100 for Xmas, it is a Windows 2003 PDA with inbuilt GPS and SatNav SW. It seems to be a great product and works well. After researching various SW's, it seems to be the same sw as Navigon Navigator 4.3, although it does not come with a COMPLETE map of Europe but separate countries. Can anyone tell me if it is actually the same SW or where i can get a complete map of Europe. I am planning a trip from UK to SPain and it would be nice not to have to keep loading different maps.

Also, can anyone tell me how i could itegrate it with TMC (i think that's right) for automatic rerouting Question

regards Matt
staib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt

I am no expert (yet - Laughing Out Loud) but you have several options - you can switch maps at each frontier (pre-load onto another SD card) - not a huge hassle unless you are crossing a border every day - or define a "corridor" on your PC presumably crossing several boundaries and then export the whole international route (+ say 100 miles either side) to the SD card. Haven't done this yet, but think that this should work - good luck anyway.

Nick
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: medean 100 Reply with quote

Hi all again, I would like to add a few more comments on Pocket pc's come gps ... As mentioned above i had a TOMTOM GO also a Garmin Street Pilot 111, I now have instead a Pocket Pc (Medion PNA100) and would like to point out just how good this is, the software in my opinion is the best i have used regarding the maps (all free) and the routing is very accurate and allows for bicycle.car, walking, road blocking.shortest routes,Quickest routes,, etc etc, (and saves to default the rout in question) in short i dont think you can beat this unit for the money, it out-classes everything in its path including the two i have already owned as above, also there is untold (FREE) software for it,, and on top of that you get a pretty darn good pc thrown in for good measure absolutely exellent value.Would recommend one to anyone.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: medean 100 Reply with quote

ferret79 wrote:
Hi all again, I would like to add a few more comments on Pocket pc's come gps ... i had a TOMTOM GO also a Garmin Street Pilot 111, I now have instead a Pocket Pc (Medion PNA100) and would like to point out just how good this is, the software in my opinion is the best i have used regarding the maps (all free) and the routing is very accurate and allows for bicycle.car, walking, road blocking.shortest routes,Quickest routes,, etc etc, (and saves to default the rout in question) in short i dont think you can beat this unit for the money, it out-classes everything in its path including the two i have already owned as above, also there is untold (FREE) software for it,, and on top of that you get a pretty darn good pc thrown in for good measure absolutely exellent value.Would recommend one to anyone.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: medean 100 Reply with quote

ferret79 wrote:
Hi all again, I would like to add a few more comments on Pocket pc's come gps ... i had a TOMTOM GO also a Garmin Street Pilot 111, I now have instead a Pocket Pc (Medion PNA100) and would like to point out just how good this is, the software in my opinion is the best i have used regarding the maps (all free) and the routing is very accurate and allows for bicycle.car, walking, road blocking.shortest routes,Quickest routes,, etc etc, (and saves to default the rout in question) in short i dont think you can beat this unit for the money, it out-classes everything in its path including the two i have already owned as above, also there is untold (FREE) software for it,, and on top of that you get a pretty darn good pc thrown in for good measure absolutely exellent value.Would recommend one to anyone.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: medean 100 Reply with quote

ferret79 wrote:
Hi all again, I would like to add a few more comments on Pocket pc's come gps ... i had a TOMTOM GO also a Garmin Street Pilot 111, I now have instead a Pocket Pc (Medion PNA100) and would like to point out just how good this is, the software in my opinion is the best i have used regarding the maps (all free) and the routing is very accurate and allows for bicycle.car, walking, road blocking.shortest routes,Quickest routes,, etc etc, (and saves to default the rout in question) in short i dont think you can beat this unit for the money, it out-classes everything in its path including the two i have already owned as above, also there is untold (FREE) software for it,, and on top of that you get a pretty darn good pc thrown in for good measure absolutely exellent value. and all this for £350.00 Would recommend one to anyone.
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Medion PNA100 PDA/Satnav Reply with quote

Mdillon wrote:
although it does not come with a COMPLETE map of Europe but separate countries.

Also, can anyone tell me how i could itegrate it with TMC (i think that's right) for automatic rerouting Question

regards Matt

Actually it does come with a complete map of Europe, :D well the major roads anyway. If you go to the address screen and change the country to Spain and enter Madrid or Vigo or some other major town into the town field it should find it and take you there via the major routes. It won't have any roads off the beaten track but should get you there. If you then loaded the spain map to a separate SD card you could put that in the PDA once you crossed the border for your navigation needs once your there.

I don't think any software will give you detailed maps of Europe as a whole as they would be too big and you wouldn't fit it on a card.

Staib suggested cutting out a corridor which would work as well, but that also creates a huge map depending on how wide you make the corridor, considering the distance you are travelling even with a narrow corridor the map will be pretty big!

As for TMC I don't think you can add that without purchasing the whole GPS module with the TMC adapter and the full blown Navigon software as I believe the Medion Navigator to be a cut down version without the capability for TMC dynamic re-routing.
There's a review here .http://pocketgpsworld.com/navigon-mobile-navigator-4.php

Ok I've just looked at my CD's and the Spain map says "Major Routes of Europe".... so load up Spain onto you card and then you will only need one card for the whole of your trip.

Bon voyage (don't know the Spanish equivalent) Laughing

Jon

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: