Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - navman 510 fails to lock to satelite
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

navman 510 fails to lock to satelite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrismmm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: navman 510 fails to lock to satelite Reply with quote

Very newbie here so hi to everyone and hope you can advise.Wife just got navman 510, the question is why does it take up to an hour to lock onto the satelites ( even out in the open away from obstructions), when it has locked it seems ok until you power off or loose signal due to obstructions.Then it takes ages to re lock. Is it weather related as it seems worse when it rains.This technoligy seems very temprimental and iffy or is just me or have we got a duff navman 510.

chris
RedDevil_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion, having the very same problem at the moment i would get it swapped.

i had the same problem, but not knowing anyone who had one before... i just thought it was crap Smile

but then a friend bought one too (same make) and from loading his navigation software, it had a satellite lock in seconds.... wow!!! i said, but even more amazing was the fact he was stood next to the window INSIDE the house!!!!

thats when i realised mine was broken.
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently bought one for the wife, but have been using it myself due to a problem with my own system.

If I have turned the battery off switch on the back off and then obviously turned it on when I am wanting to use it it takes a little longer to get a fix.

But the longest I have had to wait at any time is about 2 - 3 minutes to get a fix.

Recently drove through underpasses in Birmingham, lost fix and regained as soon as I came back out, so it does sound like you may have a problem.

One thing I have noticed is that whilst the voice commands are prompt and ok the actual distance to turn displayed on the screen seems to be some way off.

I have just bought a TT GO to replace my system, so will be interested to see how they compare

Regards

Alan

:D
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add, I can also get a fix when sat at my desk in our office, which is one of the upstairs rooms in the house

Regards

Alan
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris you may find you have an athermic (UV) coated windscreen. See if it fixes any quicker by holding it outside the car. If it does, you will need a re-rad or change your windscreen/car.

A plug-in re-rad is available for the iCN510 and can be purchased from the Navman shop.
chrismmm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Chris you may find you have an athermic (UV) coated windscreen. See if it fixes any quicker by holding it outside the car. If it does, you will need a re-rad or change your windscreen/car.

A plug-in re-rad is available for the iCN510 and can be purchased from the Navman shop.

thanks for the suggestion but it takes up to an hour outside of the vehicle, I have the same problem standing in the garden with no obstructions, once it is locked it seems ok, it is the initial fix after power on from the front push button (not the power on/off at the back).
chrismmm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update to our problem we exchanged the navman 510 for another, this one is considerably quicker in a fix so it would appear that the first 510 was faulty in some way.As a newbie on this subject I have certainly learnt a lot from this forum and thanks for the assistance given.

chrismmm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: