Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - no satellites??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

no satellites??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedDevil_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: no satellites?? Reply with quote

i own a medion MDPNA100 ppc

when i first bought it last year the sat nav worked great, but for some reason now, it never locks onto a satellite???

i rang the hotline and they told me to do a hard reset followed by a GPS factory reset...

it picked a satellite up.... so i put the phone down.

then on Saturday i got in the car to drive from rochdale to stoke on trent, couldnt get a sat lock Grrr so i left it, when i arrived in stoke... still no sats?? and i got lost trying to find the address.
then i drove back, no sats all the way
so i did a hard reset and GPS reset again..
and planned a trip to accrington today, again drove all the way there and back without getting a bloody satellite...
im sick of it, its really buggin me now Sad

what can i do to make it work... any ideas?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you changed the car? and if so does it have an electric heated front screen? - if the answer to either is yes then try the unit out of the car - if it works re-position the GPS unit to where it can get a signal - mike
ixion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May seem a daft question but are turning the GPS Power on?
RedDevil_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no its the same car, mike.

and ixion, yes the GS power is on, as the GPS icon is green... its set to come on auto when com 1 is used,
RedDevil_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, i should also point out, it doesnt pick up a signal if i stand in the street for 30 mins with it my hand either....... embarassing also Smile
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello RedDevil_UK

If this unit was bought from Aldi and is less than 12 months old they will give you a full refund, if not it still must have a guarantee.
MrCool
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar problem with mine, turned out the infrared option had a tick to turn it on which then blocked the com port ? turned off the tick, end of problem, still don`t know how it got turned on Embarassed hope this helps.
RedDevil_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice tip mr cool Smile

i went to the IR option and it was ticked... however, it still doesnt work Sad i got all excited when i saw it was ticked too..

my mate has the ALDI version, and his came with more upto date maps and programs than mine, so i installed his... that doesnt work either. ive looked all over the internet

looks like i am going to have to send it back.....

PS when you do a hard reset and the normally green power light goes red... whats that mean??? then i do another reset and it goes green??
RedDevil_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i downloaded the Winfast navigator diagnostic tool...

the GPS is working, everything seems ok, but i cant get a satellite lock with that program either
Myron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Same problem! Reply with quote

Odd enough same problem here about two to three days ago.

So got I've done a hard reset, both GPS and PPC, installed Medion Navigator and with a full battery would not lock onto a satellite for after about 10 minutes standing outside the front door of my house. Usually it sees at least one satellite after about 3 to 4 minutes.

I've since restored all my programs and data as I thought what I had installed would be causing the problem. Obviously not.

As inconvenient as it may be, I might end up sending it to Medion. I purchaed it from Halfords and it it under guarantee. I still have the receipt.

Does anyone know if Halfords do straight swaps if a MDPNA100 is faulty and it's under guarantee?
Myron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Maybe a stay of execution? Reply with quote

I found WinFast NavigatorWinFast Navigator at http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/support/download.asp?downlineid=80&downline=LEADTEK%20GPS%209553X%20BLUETOOTH%20GPS%20RECEIVER and downloaded it. Out of the entire content of the ZIP I only copied `ceMonitor.exe` onto the MDPNA100 from the `ARM` folder and fired up the program using File Manager.

I seemed to struggle to get any satellites seen. Tried a factory reset using this program, no luck. Then tried a factory reset again using the Medion MNDPA100's GPS control panel applet and tried monitoring the receiver using ceMonitor, this time something was happening. Using the view setting that shows where the satellites are in the sky I had a few entries that were in blue and not all in red, so I waited. About a minute later cdMonitor pinged at me with some status code so when I switched back to the navgational information display it confirmed that there were 4 satellites seen in the sky.

I now hope that this is not an intermittent thing where sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.
Myron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Oh . Reply with quote

Found the fault with my PNA100. Looks like it will have to go back to be fixed. There is something wrong with the built-in GPS's short stubby antenna. I push it back slightly and it works until it's disturbed.

I've had a peek inside and there is nothing I can fix. There is nothing in the build of this unit that shows it's been opened. Still, I only carefully took the cover off and put it back on again.

Just what I don't need.
Myron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Fixed! Reply with quote

Didn't post the result for three days in case it broke again. Got it back from Medion after nearly a 14 day wait. The GPS antenna was replaced. It now works.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: