Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 4.2. Just cannot get it to work
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 4.2. Just cannot get it to work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trijet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Navigon 4.2. Just cannot get it to work Reply with quote

I have bought a Navigon 4.2 + iPAQ 4150-bundle. I have installed the software three times on a 1.1 gHz laptop and twice on a 2.66 gHz desktop. I am still very much dependent on conventional paper maps.

The Active Sync. installation for the iPAQ went well and is functioning perfectly as far as I can see. I am using it for all other synchronisation.

The installation of Navigon claims to have been successful every time. However, using it is impossible. I am following the instructions in the 119-page manual, and every time I try to do anything with a map on the PC I get either a message that "id 4......." is missing or some German message that I don't understand (something about "not valid" I think). The only response to these messages is "OK", which causes Navigon to go back to the main page.

If I copy a whole map to a 512 MB storage card, and try to start Navigon on my iPAQ it takes about a minute to start. When I try to find an address or a map the whole thing freezes and I have to do a reboot and start again.

After two wasted weekends, many phone calls to the shop where I bought this bundle and to Navigon, I am about to give up. Until I found your web site I was beginning to think Navigon may be a con or a flop. I do realise otherwise, but am at the end of my tether.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely
Erik
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we assume that your 4150 has the latest ROM installed?

What brand of SD card are you using?

And, most importantly - how much free RAM do you have before you run Navigon? It is pretty resource-intensive, compared to other programs.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello trijet

Using Map Export 4.2, how are you transferring the map to your storage card, if you are doing via a card reader this could be the problem.

Although the card readers do it in just a few minutes and you can see the files on the card when exploring it on the card reader, sometimes, and i do not know why, when the card is put into the gps unit it cannot see the files, and when you start Navigator it just does not work.

If you have done it via ActiveSync which is a real pain as it takes about 25-30 minutes then i am not sure what the problem is as this usually works ok.

When you look at the card when in your iPAQ can you see the files on the card, presuming you are in the UK you should see the folders:

UnitedKingdom Ireland MRE - and inside that:

db - and inside that:
Database.txt

kwa - and inside that:
0.tree
1.tree
2.tree
England.rd
kwa.SFS

maps - and inside that:
England.lvl
exportdata.ini
Level0.mpl
Level3.mpl
maps.SFS
Night0.mpl
Night3.mpl

If you have the above then the card has the correct info on it.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possible reason for this may be that you have removed the card while the PC was still writing to it. Make sure all lights stop blinking, or better yet - use the "remove hardware" feature of the OS to force the buffer to flush.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
lexuscol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another reason, you can't work on the maps in Navigon on a PC UNLESS you have the correct CD for the map in your cd rom drive. Just a thought.
trijet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone, for your kind replies. However, all suggested checks were OK, so I decided to just try again.

In my seventh attempt I switched everything not related to the installation off so that nothing was running in the background. After a few minutes the whole thing was installed without problems, and working. And I had done nothing differently from previous attempts except switching off virus scan etc.

Thanks again.

Erik

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: