Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone running Tomtom 3 (full) on IPAQ RZ 1715?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone running Tomtom 3 (full) on IPAQ RZ 1715?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrplant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Anyone running Tomtom 3 (full) on IPAQ RZ 1715? Reply with quote

Hello there!

I have a Pocket GPS system and my father recently borrowed it and was so impressed he wanted his own system, although he didn't want to pay the earth for it..

Now don't laugh... but he has got an IPAQ RZ 1715 (1700 series) - yes the model with 32MB on it.

I have managed to put my SD Card (256MB with UK maps on it) in his machine and installed the Full TomTom 3 (not the bundled v4 version that IPAQ are selling as a pack at the moment, but my full retail copy) - just as a temporary test... I also plugged in my wired GPS and everything seems ok. (A Rikaline 6010)

Remember there is nothing else on the machine at all and he doesn't want to install anything else on it - create notes or diary entires etc. its purely for running the tomtom software!

I managed to drive around last night with this setup and it seems fine - it keeps up with where I am driving and was working fine.

I had to adjust the memory balance for programs instead of storage -and it has froze a few times when I have pressed the reset button (requiring a second reset to fix) - but the tomtom app itself has never froze.

What I am posting this info here for is to ask whether there is anyone else out there who runs the full V3 software on this particular machine - if so - how reliable is it in real life use?

I have only tested it for about 30 mins but as I have said it seemed fine...

I know this is't the best machine to run tomtom on due to its low memory and it feels like its being pushed to its limit but before I tell him to buy the GPS for himself etc. I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Steve McD.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also have installed the software and found no problems apart from as you mention to adjust the memory balance. I did not test the unit for long but it did seem ok. You are right about not being able to do anything else on it Laughing
mrplant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming!

Has anyone tried installing tomtom3 onto their SD Card instead of main memory?

How much memory does it take up and does it run ok?

Would be good to hear from someone on this...

Just thaught this might be a way to free up more onboard RAM?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see my article on the TomTom registry hack. I used an iPAQ 3630 for that - it's the same setup (32 MB of RAM)

Except for one file you can put everything onto storage card, and free up at least 4 MB

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Norway a lot of got the 1710 bundled with TomTom 3 before the NavCore-based software come with it.

(A lot of extra work on the norwegian forum to figure out what people actually have, when they need help)

It seems like it running OK, but you get in trouble when you try to add extras like CheckPOInt with voicefiles installed to default folder.
paulie01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a rz 1710, i run tt3 with checkpoint safety camera database, also i have a few games on there as well, i also use it as a diary etc, i have had no problems at all with it i have drove all over the uk and to germany, i have installed everything as it should be ie tt3 on the pda and the maps onto the sd card, like i say i have had no problems at all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: