Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New CoPilot Live Pocket PC 5 User
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New CoPilot Live Pocket PC 5 User

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shifty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: New CoPilot Live Pocket PC 5 User Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just taken charge of one of the above (mio) with the built in GPS receiver from work and was just after some advice really.

After reading some of the reviews and comments starting to feel a little gutted about choosing this!!!

I've only had it a day but I know that my route home from work it wanted to take me all ways home but the quickest - saying that it did adjust its destination rather than tell me to turn around but it still chose a longer route again!

I have version 5.0.1.30 of CoPilot and the guide book that came with it showed a different welcome screen to mine (had tutorial and help icons) which immediately threw me off scent as well as not being able to pick 4 voices (2TTS and 2 WAV). Rang manufacturer and they assured me I had one of the latest versions and the booklet and extras was leaning towards the american software rather than british so apparently I'm not missing anything?? I know this sounds trivial but is this right and if so why not make a seperate instruction manual for the UK disks??

Downloading speed camera information from what I have read briefly seems a laborious task - is it worth doing??

Lastly, the software came originally on an SD card along with two discs. As I couldnt load the one female WAV voice to start, the helpdesk told me to wipe my SD card clean and re-install everything from disk which I have done. Was this the right thing to do and any extras on SD card that I may have lost can I download again??

Also I have tried briefly but it seems on the pocket pc you cannot save any destinations in favourites or home or work until you actually complete the destination?? And although I have saved destinations after I have completed them I cant seem to permanently save my house as "home" and work as "work" etc.

Sorry for blabbing
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: New CoPilot Live Pocket PC 5 User Reply with quote

Shifty wrote:
not being able to pick 4 voices (2TTS and 2 WAV).

You can only install one voice. If you want to switch voices you either have to chirurgically replace some files, or re-install the whole application.

Shifty wrote:

Also I have tried briefly but it seems on the pocket pc you cannot save any destinations in favourites or home or work until you actually complete the destination?? And although I have saved destinations after I have completed them I cant seem to permanently save my house as "home" and work as "work" etc.

As soon as you have added a location as a stop in an itinerary it will be added to the favourites. (You don't need to complete the journey)
In the favourites management you can promote individual locations to be your home or work address.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Shifty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I did realise you couldnt just switch between voices but in the booklet it said you could have four different types - not the two that are on the software but thats no worry anyway. Was just more concerned I had an older piece.

I've noticed on their site they have patches to download for earlier software.......is it likely they would release free updates or patches for this version in time if they realise any errors?
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: New CoPilot Live Pocket PC 5 User Reply with quote

Shifty wrote:

I have version 5.0.1.30 of CoPilot and the guide book that came with it showed a different welcome screen to mine (had tutorial and help icons) which immediately threw me off scent as well as not being able to pick 4 voices (2TTS and 2 WAV).

The latest version shown on the ALK website is v5.0.1.22 so does this mean there's a later version out there that is not yet available for download???
Shifty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must do as this is definately that version. Spoke to the manufacturers after I posted and apparently the differences to in the instruction booklet were to do with Microsoft wanting help files in different place.

And the other two voices which were missing were "american" ie motorways were called Freeways etc!!

Been using it now for almost a week and am pretty impressed with the routes it takes but some things it does are infuriating such as coming off the motorway on J45 (when I know J46 is quicker) only for it to then divert you to get back onto motorway and get off on J46.

Just toying with the idea of putting the speed camera data on now - but it looks pretty complicated.
gpser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty,
speed cameras are pre-loaded - at least they are on mine (v5.0.1.30) - you just need to switch them on.
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still curious to know why some users have CPL v5.0.1.30 when both the European and US ALK sites are showing v5.0.1.22 as being the latest.

Are ALKy now shipping v5.0.1.30 with new kit and have yet to make the upgrade available by download for existing users??

Somebody must know!!
PhilB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought mine just before crimbo and got 5.0.1.30

Phil
Shifty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed some were on the map but there didnt seem to be any for the swansea area where I live? I figured that the download on here would have a more extensive coverage of cameras??

By turning them on I presume you mean in POI checking the tick box for "custom" and having TTF text on?

Started trying to install cameras off here now (deleted the original custom ones from map.....oops)

They gone for good now then?
Bigwig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shifty

I'm fairly new to this as well so I hope this helps.

From what I've read on here the Copilot speed camera data comes from this site but it is just not the most up to date version so you did the right thing by deleting the original ones otherwise you would end up with lots of duplicates. Hopefully now you should have a few more for your area as well.

To get it to warn you about them you need to go into the Options|POIs menu and tick the Enabled box (I have found setting the warning at 0.5 miles ahead with the "Report POIs which are" slider set on the 3rd position from the left "on route" seems to work best for me although sometimes you still don't get a warning for some reason - but I think this maybe because I don't always get a good GPS signal through my windscreen). Oh and you only get the warnings if you are in Guidance Mode and not in Navigating Mode.

If you wanted to go back to the old speed cameras you could always reinstall the Copilot software on your desktop PC and then your Pocket PC.

Hope this helps.
NigelL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a copy of live and it's 5.0.1.24

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: