Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mitac Mio Connectors / Cables - all bad or just my 2?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mitac Mio Connectors / Cables - all bad or just my 2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boldzak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Mitac Mio Connectors / Cables - all bad or just my 2? Reply with quote

I have a new Mitac Mio 168 which came with the standard AC/USB lead to connet to the unit. I also bought a car charger with (obviously) the same connector at the PDA end.

When removing the lead recently after a sync, the connector stuck in the port and bent a couple of the pins inside the Mio ..... aaargh! They seem to be OK now, however, after a little gentle "persuasion" got them back into line. The problem really seems to do with the 2 "buttons" on the connector (one on each side), which you're meant to push in to release the 2 "hooks" which hold it into the Mio's port. The odd thing is that even though one lead was the Mio original, and the other was a 3rd party product, they both have the same problem - quite often the silver "hook" on one side doesn't pull in fully when the buttons are pushed (and, yes, I do press them properly!!).

Anyone else had the same problem, or have I just landed unlucky with both cables?? Also, anyone using an other brand of Mio 168 cable (e.g. one of the USB ones that sync AND charge without an AC source)?

I'd be interested to hear anyone's comments / advice

Thank & Merry Xmas to all at these wonderful forums!

Boldzak
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, had exactly the same problem with the two little clips on the connector which plugs into the bottom of the Mitac.

I very carefully disassembled the connector and tried to bend the little hook back into shape...and sort of succeeded.

However, I'm now very careful whenever I plug/unplug so as not to snag these delicate little things!
Deane
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Docking station for mio 168 Reply with quote

I have also recently bought a mio 168, and am generally pleased with it, but do agree that connections are a bit fragile. I would like to buy a desktop docking station to reduce risk of damage when attaching usb cables. Does anyone know where I can get one ?
trout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Docking station for mio 168 Reply with quote

Deane wrote:
I have also recently bought a mio 168, and am generally pleased with it, but do agree that connections are a bit fragile. I would like to buy a desktop docking station to reduce risk of damage when attaching usb cables. Does anyone know where I can get one ?

I also tried to find a docking station see begginers user group replies
I am still looking
streetbum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gripp wrote:
Yes, had exactly the same problem with the two little clips on the connector which plugs into the bottom of the Mitac.

I very carefully disassembled the connector and tried to bend the little hook back into shape...and sort of succeeded.

However, I'm now very careful whenever I plug/unplug so as not to snag these delicate little things!

Phew!
I thought i was the only person that managed to bend one of the hooks, i found this easy to correct, i just stole my wifes power lead and swapped it with my damaged one, i'm sure she will think she damaged it when she next tries to use it.
it's okay, she doesn't ever come here and will never know the truth.

Pete (bender of hooks, available 24/7)
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

You may be able to get a Docking station from Medion, there 95000 unit is a re-branded Mio 168 and comes with a docking station.

How much they cost i don't know, but these are the details

and this is the Medion unit

http://www.sim98.freeserve.co.uk/AMN/speccs.htm
bobbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the Mitac Mio 168 charger cables. try web site www.addons.co.uk for a charger cable to usb which does not require the AC adapter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: