Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dell X50v and tomtom3 compatability???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell X50v and tomtom3 compatability???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CLIFFH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Dell X50v and tomtom3 compatability??? Reply with quote

Got my heart struck on a Dell X50V but I am worried about linking it to TOMTOM3 as TOMTOM will not say if it works or not.
Has anyone got this set up??
Any problems??
Also is the bluetooth receiver OK when you have a heated windscreen?
Any help for this NOVICE would be appreciated.

Great Site.
G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Dell X50v and TomTom Nav. 3 Reply with quote

I have just bought a Dell X50v and TomTom Nav. 3 with TomTom Bluetooth receiver. I got TomTom through the post today and my X50v should be here on the 26th. I have done allot of research on this combination and I should have no problems. So yes they are compatible but I can’t say for a fact that they will work perfectly. TomTom told me that they could not answer this question for the sole reason that they have not yet run tests, so don't be put off yet. But I do know that they won’t work together unless you have the Nav. 3 update that you can download from TomTom. I will post another reply when I have a go.

Hope this helps
G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you look at this page

http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/Navigator3_gps_uk.pdf

it does not say that the X50v is compatible but it does say that you can buy the car kit for a Axiem X5 Advanced which I believe the X50v would come under that category.

I would think that if they make the car kit then there carnt be any problems.

Could anybody tell me if this is correct or if a Axiem X5 Advanced is a completely different model to the X50v Question

Again, I hope this helps. :D
G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been reading the TomTom Navigator 3 book and I quote

"IN THE CAR, PLACE THE GPS RECEIVER BEHIND THE WINDSCREEN. IF YOUR CAR HAS A HEAT REFLECTING WINDSHIELD, PLACE THE GPS RECEIVER BEHIND THE REAR-VIEW MIRROR OR BEHIND THE REAR WINDOW, OR USE AN EXTERNAL GPS ANTENNA."

Hope this helps more Thumbs Up
AndyC_772
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got my X50V and TomTom 3; I've spent the last few hours playing with it and it seems to work OK - but there's some way between that and being able to say 'yes, it's reliable' Smile
G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just received an email from TomTom saying that the car kit is not yet available for the X50, Shame Crying .

I have also been told by KBKB "The only Car kit for Dell X50 is from Seiido"

I found one here:-
http://www.emobileinhand.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=68

It’s good to hear your X50V works ok with Nav. 3, I am still waiting for mine so I am very envious.

O and thanks for the email CLIFFH, I happy I could help.

Hope you have fun with your new toy. Laughing

Cheers
Chris
AndyC_772
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Seidio car kit and I'm very pleased with it. It's brand new and not yet with their UK distributors, but you can get it direct from www.seidio-europe.com - don't forget to order the charging cable for your GPS receiver at the same time too. They do a range of GPS charging cables including the TomTom Bluetooth unit. The Seidio car kit seems well made and the amplified speaker in it is very loud and clear. My only slight criticism is that it's not as quick and easy I'd have hoped to switch the air vent mount from one car to another - but if you only want to use GPS in one car then that's no problem.

I've done a few fairly short journeys with TomTom 3 and the X50v and had no problems. Now I just need to find a few accurate POI databases - my car has a preference for Shell Optimax - and install CheckPOInt and TomTom Traffic. I got the free GPRS mobile card with it - be warned that getting it working is a complete b*gger - but now it's set up correctly it works very well and will be ideal for the Traffic service.

I ordered my X50v last weekend and to my amazement it arrived on Wednesday, much quicker than Dell led me to believe. Hope yours is with you soon.
grexy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought I'd just jump on this post also Smile I'm from the Uk too and have just ordered a x50v , I'm looking for the car kit, can I ask how much you paid for it? and do you think you need the built in speaker or will the one on the x50v do?
G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am currently going to get a Seidio car kit now. I have heard a few reviews of it and it sounds great. I am pleased to hear that AndyC_772 had his X50v delivered faster then he thought. I ordered mine on the 16th and according to Dell I am still at stage two of five, stage two being Pre-Production so I do hope I get mine soon.

I am sure I saw a poi for Shell stations at POIHANDLER.com

Yes, I just checked there is a UK one here:-
http://www.poihandler.com/poi_download.asp

Hope this helps

Please keep us informed of your progress with your new toy.
(I keep telling the Mrs. that it’s not a toy, but I can’t wait to play with it. You never seem to grow out of toys, they just get more expensive Laughing )
AndyC_772
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car kit including charging cable was about US$120 direct from Seidio - for some reason, they bill in $ even though their warehouse is in Spain.

You might just about get away without the amplified speaker if you have a fairly quiet car and don't have the radio on loud. I have a noisy car and I like my music, so it's a must!

Do be warned, I've spent a lot of my spare time this week getting everything working - and this morning, I thought I'd try and sort out why wireless ActiveSync wasn't working. A couple of hours and a hard reset later, I'm finally getting back all my connectivity (including wireless!) - but it's far from obvious why things that don't 'just work' behave as they do. Getting GPRS data to work with the Dell-supplied Audiovox mobile card has been particularly difficult - though when correctly set up it really does work reliably. I've no ideal why wireless ActiveSync wasn't working, but it's OK now.

Will check out the Shell garage database - thanks Smile I just need to set up all my speed camera warnings in CheckPOInt, then off for a little drive this afternoon I think Smile
AndyC_772
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps. another tip: make sure you switch off 802.11b wireless networking before you use the system in the car. This afternoon I didn't - and before I'd gone 500 yards, I'd been presented with half a dozen dialogue boxes inviting me to join each of my neighbours' wireless networks in turn!

How I laughed... next time I want to access the internet anonymously I'll know how - just go for a drive with the X50v :D
G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That really is very funny, but still very good advice as I never would of thought of it myself.

I have bought my Seidio car kit today. I worked it out that I paid £79.65 but that is including a 14" Super Strong Suction Windshield mount. I read somewhere that you have to rest it on the dash, so if you have a long dash then you can’t see it too good.

I have now paid £643.37

PRODUCT PRICE
TOMTOM NAV. 3 WITH BLUETOOTH GPS RECEVER £170.00
DELL X50V PLUS TV adaptor and 256MB Mem. + £348.56
BLUETOOTH USB ADAPTOR 100m range £30.00
STYLUS (fancy) £15.16
X50V CAR KIT £79.65

TOTAL
£643.37

All I have at the minute is my Bluetooth gps receiver and TomTom Nav. 3. This is very frustrating seen as I have nothing to install it on and the gps box is a bit dull to watch Laughing . I can’t wait to get it all going though (if I can Rolling Eyes )
CLIFFH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Have gone for very similar setup to above.

Frightening when you start adding it up!!

Which receiver did you go for??

I have found that Arkon seem to make a power mount, the X50 is listed and Iam hoping that this will take the 'V' as the Sedieo is the same for the both.
Found one on ebay from a 'shop' for £29.99 plus £3.50 P&P.
Have ordered it and will give it a go when everything starts turning up!

Arkon model number is CM597
CLIFFH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just found the sedio mount on American ebay for around £37 plus postage item number 6745463077
They even have the GPS mount with receiver for around £65 plus P&P

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: