Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is my Tomtom BT receiver working correctly?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is my Tomtom BT receiver working correctly?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psmiller461
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Is my Tomtom BT receiver working correctly? Reply with quote

Just got an ipaq 4150 for Christmas with TTN3 and BT. Very pleased with the 4150 but incredibly frustrated with the TTN.

I have followed the instructions for setup from TT support and the bluetooth connection seems to be working well. The problem is that with two exceptions I cant get a satellite fix. The latest attempt was a soft restart, establish the BT connection then go into GPS in setup, reset the device and port (COM6) and then fire up the receiver. In most cases it seems to do something - even seemingly getting four bars - but then stalls without getting me a fix. I have left this in the open air on a clear day for over an hour. At no stage have I seen an animation between the little satellite image and the pda image.

When it has worked (twice) it has been great but at the moment is unusable. What am I missing?
GeoffH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure the blue box on the GPS settings page has not unticked itsself, my 4150 did this if I started TomTom before switching the bluetooth on. Just a outside chance it may be this
psmiller461
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: The box tick stays ticked! Reply with quote

Thanks for this Geoff but I have ensured that this stays ticked as it was the only suggestion I have had from the TomTom helpdesk so far.

It does seem to ensure I get some form of signal but its just rarely enough. I was expecting that I would get in the car - power up the Bluetooth and away we go... was I expecting too much?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try letting the battery totallyt discharge then recharge it fully and leave it for a while where it can see plenty of clear sky

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
psmiller461
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tring this as i Write. A daft question though - does the receiver communicate with satellites as soon as it is switched on - regardless of whether it is commuicating with the PDA -or does the PDA initiate some kind of signalling sequence to enable it?

At the moment the battery was discharged fully and recharged in preparation for any instructions. I have just switched it on and left it in the garden with no connection to the PDA.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What selection have you set in the FPS Applet for TomTom? i.e. What Com Port and GPS Receiver Type?
psmiller461
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: FPS Applet Selection Reply with quote

I have chosen " TomTom Wireless GPS" and "Bluetooth Serial Port COM6"
GeoffH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The box tick stays ticked! Reply with quote

psmiller461 wrote:
I was expecting that I would get in the car - power up the Bluetooth and away we go... was I expecting too much?

I don't think so.
In answer to your question in a later post "does the receiver communicate with satellites as soon as it is switched on - regardless of whether it is commuicating with the PDA" Yes, but has to "lock on" first. Mine (a GlobalSat BT318 Bluetooth receiver) only took a few min's to "lock on" when first turned on in my conservatory (6 satellites), and now 30 to 40 sec to see the satellites each time I turn it on. But I have heard tales of 2 hours plus to get the first "lock on". I drive a soft top (BMW Z3) which may help with the signal I get when driving. Hope you sort it out as once running with the 4150 it's a really great bit of kit
psmiller461
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I have discharged the receiver, recharged it and left it out for over three hours in clear skies switched on.

I then soft reset the PDA, unticked and ticked the connections box (set at Wireless Bluetooth and COM6), before restarting the reciever. I got one bar in two minutes but still no animation between the dish symbol and the PDA symbol and the digits over the bars stuck at 2004 10 31 00:00:00.

What should I be seeing? On the two occasions I have been up and running I had a green light prominent on the receiver and I have seen the numbers above the bars slowly ticking over.

Many thanks
GeoffH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the same reciever as you but my lights are
solid green = no satellites
flashing green = connected to satellites
slow flashing blue = no bluetooth conection
faster flashing blue = bluetooth conected ok
As for the numbers you have put they are the date and time, mine as I write this are 2005 01 16 14:37:45 I'm sitting at my laptop in the dinning room and the reciever is in the conservatry,On the GPS status page on my 4150 it's showing 10 satellites (7 are red (locked on) 3 light blue(not locked on))I'm on COM6, NMEA 0183v2 38400, maybe try another setting in the top box, hope this helps a bit
GeoffH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about the date stuck at 2004 10 31 00:00:00. maybe it's a faulty unit, try getting a replacement from where you got it from.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you done this in the house or out side if you have double glazing with a heat reflective coating then put the receiver out side and see if that makes any difference if you tried it in the car and the car has a heatreflective windscreen hold it out side and see if that makes any difference

device Lumia 950 xl
psmiller461
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Receiver location Reply with quote

I have tried the unit both inside and out. Most recently I have tried everything outside to eliminate any of these problems.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a guess uncheck the blue box in the comport selection select bluetooth gps and then check the box you never know or try going through the tt wizzard

device Lumia 950 xl
psmiller461
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks to all - and an outcome Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help folks. I have replaced the TomTom kit today and after fully charging the reciever it worked first time.

I don't know how I would ever have been confident enough in condemning it without your responses.

Hurrah

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: