Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rerouting quirks (long post!!!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rerouting quirks (long post!!!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mondeo79
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Rerouting quirks (long post!!!) Reply with quote

I have had TT3 for a couple of weeks and while its a good piece of software its frustrating the hell out of me in some of the routes it chooses and, when I deviate off those routes, how it then tries to re route me.

I will give 2 examples which will hopefully explain it better:

Going home to Ireland at Xmas I travelled from Derby to Holyhead - TT was telling me turn off at J16 on the M6 and head cross country to Chester but I know from experience that the M6/M56 route (if clear of accidents etc is much quicker) so I opted to go that way. For the next 2 junctions on the motorway TT kept trying to tell me to turn around on the exit roundabout and go back to J16. Not a major problem I guess except when I passed J18 it then picked up the M6/M56 route that I wanted and when it calculated the distance and time to reach Holyhead both were at least 10% shorter/quicker than the previously suggested route.

Another example was going from Derby to Warwick on New Years Eve - again TT chose M1, M42 then M40 but I chose M1, M69 and A46 which, again from experience, I know is generally a quicker route. At J23A on the M1 I ignored the instruction to turn off for the M42 and again for the next 3 or 4 junctions it was telling me to go back up the M1 again to J23A and take the M42. Only when I had left the M1 at J21 and actually joined the M69 did it finally then pick up the route I wanted and, again, it was considerably shorter and quicker than the suggested reroute back up the M1 (and quicker and shorter than if I had taken the M42 originally).

Is this normal or is there some settings I need to adjust to get around this? I was expecting to see a setting for shortest / quickest / preferred roads and a combination of them all. Also is there a way of telling it roads that you always want to avoid or always want to use over others?

To be fair I only really use it for the last couple of miles of any journey as after 5 years of doing 50k miles per year I know my way around the Midlands and North but this sort of thing bugs the life outta me!!

Thanks

Jase
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and Welcome

If you want to set particular points on your route, investigate the Itinerary function in Navigator 3. If you set the points as drive-bys, you'll then be able to influence the routes given.

If you haven't set the route planning option to Strict in the Properties page (advanced tab) try that to see if it makes the routes conform any more to your explanations.

Avoids - you can set avoid areas on the map. You can also, via the Navigator menu, Alternate Routes, influence the routing in various ways there.

David
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rerouting quirks (long post!!!) Reply with quote

mondeo79 wrote:
To be fair I only really use it for the last couple of miles of any journey as after 5 years of doing 50k miles per year I know my way around the Midlands and North but this sort of thing bugs the life outta me!!

I would say you are overqualified for this kind of software. Navigation systems are there to get people from A to B in unfamiliar areas, not to argue with experienced drivers that know every local shortcut. (I know, I know, we all use navigation on the way from home to work and back)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
arndale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a weird coincidence! I was just going to post a question along the same lines.

It's happened before, but yesterday I made a note of what happened on my Journey up the M40 past Birmingham and to the M54.
Normally I go M40, M42, M5, M6 to the M54 (to the West of Birmingham). Tom Tom wants to take me to the East.

I ignored it's instructions and it added 8 mins to the journey time as I went West on the M42 and not East. It wanted me to come off at the next junction and come back. Once I went past that junction it added another 2 minutes and wanted me to go to the junction after that to turn around. As soon as I'd gone past this as well it rerouted the way I had planned and dropped the journey time by 6 minutes.

I can see how the first turn around could have been correct, but not the second one as it took 6 minutes off the time.

Dean
mondeo79
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rerouting quirks (long post!!!) Reply with quote

David - I have had a look in TT3 but cant find anything to do with itenaries? Am I missing something really obvious or is it buried?

Lutz - In some ways I agree with you and Im not saying it should know every single short cut and no technology can ever account for local knowledge and experience but, at the same time, I had hoped the software was more intelligent when it came to reroutes to look at where you where at that time and then chosen the best route based on your current direction of travel etc.

Like I said I only really use it to find customers specific streets and addresses in the last few miles of a journey and had hoped to use it for arrival times but I dont think that will be possible with these little quirks!

Thanks

Jase
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be an option for Itinerary in the drop down 'mode' list in the top left of the screen.

If you've driven away from the route it's planned, you can stop it telling you to double back onto that route by replanning the route - in the Navigator screen, tap for the Navigator menu, tap Navigate to, then Original.

David
arndale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the advice David, I'll do that next time.

I just assumed that when it realised that you've gone wrong it should calculate the best route from that point. It seems that it needs a nudge!

Dean
Qhunter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the failings with TT is that it doesn't value distance. You can choose "shortest" or "quickest" route. I used to use a PC based commercial route planner which took account of both time and distance and the routes it used were invariably the most efficient.

For example. There are 2 ways for me to go to work. The way I use is 25miles and TT reckons it takes 41minutes. The other way is much longer but nearly all motorway and dual carriageway so it's (in theory) quicker. TT says the second way is 36 miles and 39 minutes so that is the way it plans me. An additional 11 miles for the sake of 2 minutes? If you create an index based upon both time and distance the obvious way is to use the route I use.

i.e. route 1: 25 miles plus 41 minutes gives an index value of 66

route 2: 36 miles plus 39 minutes give an index value of 75.

I'm sure there is a reason why what seems to be such a simple solution to some of TT's wacky planning solutions hasn;t been included but lets not forget what TT is meant to do as has been stated above and that is to get you to an unfamiliar destination. Just a shame that there isn't a "most efficient" option to accompany the "quickest" and "shortest" options.
The_Pilgrim
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I think you should review the speeds you have set for various road types as this can make a vast differance to the routes tt plans.

Regards

The Pilgrim
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to itineries, is there a way to route via particular motorway junctions? Often I know how to get to a particular junction on the motorway network, I would like it to take me there and then navigate to the destination.
Qhunter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, you could store the route as an itinery but I would have thought the easiest way would be to store the destination as a favourite before you commence the journey and as you near the motorway exit select TT to navigate to the favourite. Without doubt TT comes into its own when navigating at a local level.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: