Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom, GPRS and a right pain in the....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom, GPRS and a right pain in the....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartyE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom, GPRS and a right pain in the.... Reply with quote

Hello this is the first time I have used the forum.

Can someone please help? I have installed the Tom Tom Traffic system on my Tom Tom Navigator version three. It's the system which is meant to warn you of any delays that you may drive in to. It's had mixed reviews.

Unfortunately after I loaded it onto my Ipaq and partnered the Ipaq with the GPRS on my Nokia 3650 I have had nothing but problems. It initially partnered OK and dialled up the service to download the latest travel news, but then it went to pot.

It keeps saying it can't connect to the network and asks for passwords and so on which it should not need to have.

I am wondering if the Bluetooth on mt Tom Tom GPS is affecting the bluetooth in the Nokia and knocking it off line.

Does anyone have any suggestions? is there anyone out there who has managed to partner their Ipaq and a 3650 successfully and is now using the traffic update stuff?

I am ready to throw the lot out of the car window. I have to drive from Sunderland to Gatwick this weekend. I know the way, but this is one of those five hour journeys where such a system comes in really handy. Crying or Very sad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and Welcome

It's a little hard to figure out what does and doesn't work from your description. It doesn't help either that you don't say which iPAQ model you've got, which mobile phone network you're using, and whether you're a pre-pay or contract customer.

Have you got GPRS Internet connectivity working from your Pocket PC in other applications, such as Pocket Internet Explorer. If not, fix that first. This post of mine may help.

If the problem is specific to TomTom Navigator, do things work correctly when you start a GPRS connection before starting Navigator?

David
chrisnel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty, I shall watch this thread with interest to see how you get on as I am about to attempt a similar configuration. I have just acquired an ipaq 4700 and have spent the last two days battling to establish an internet connection via bluetooth through my Nokia 6310i. Suceeded eventually but went through so many permutations that I'm not sure now which bits I did right and which were wrong.

One of the things I did discover however is the ability under the Bluetooth settings on the PDA to configure the service settings so that authorisation and passkeys are not required. Under Bluetooth > Settings > Services - select serial port and set tick boxes accordingly.

I would go along with DavidW on this one and say make sure you have your PDA internet connection working ok on its own first and try and narrow down by a process of elimination where the problems are occuring.

I have not yet invested in the rest of the kit but am planning on getting Tom Tom Navigator and Tom Tom Traffic and a suitable bluetooth GPS. And that's where I am keen to see what responses you get. Will the PDA support two concurrent bluetooth connections - one to the GPS device and one to the mobile phone to pick up the traffic info?

Chris
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - two simultaneous connections are possible from a hx4700 - the same is true from most iPAQs. In fact, I believe you can have three simultaneous connections if they're all different profiles. My signature shows a TomTom Navigator 3 / TomTom Traffic / 6310i / Bluetooth GPS setup. What doesn't support simultaneous connections is the 6310i - like most phones, it's strictly one Bluetooth connection at once, so if you want to use it with TomTom Traffic, you can't use it with a Bluetooth hands free setup (I have a wired car kit).

With the 6310i, if you don't have at least 5.50 firmware, you may hit problems. The latest firmware version is 5.60 and is recommended as it contains Bluetooth security fixes. My local Nokia service centre are quoting me £15 to upgrade my phone, which I intend to do as soon as possible.

The post I linked in my previous reply contains the settings - it's as simple(!) as making sure the phone's visibility is "Shown to all" so that you can discover and pair the phone, asking the Bluetooth Manager to create an Internet connection using a mobile phone, editing it to look like that post then, for security reasons, making the phone's visibility "Hidden" (Menu 11-5). You should also make your iPAQ not discoverable by other devices and only connectable to by paired devices for security (these are in the Bluetooth Settings, Accessibility tab).

You'll also want to edit the settings on the phone for the paired device that is your iPAQ not to request authorisation!

Don't disable Bluetooth security features unless you have to - I run everything from the iPAQ with Authentication (passkeys) and Encryption on - only disabling Authorisation when it's impractical to use.

David
MartyE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IPAQ I have is an h4000 series. I am on a contract with Nokia and did manage, initially to establish a GPRS link between the phone and the Ipaq. It worked OK in the house but as soon as I got on the road it would not connect to allow me to download the latest traffic information.

I link to the internet from home through the wireless connector because have a wireless network in the house. That is the only way I want to connect to the net - through wireless link - not any other way - unless I can get the damn GPRS working.
MartyE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let youse know, I could never get the connection sorted so when the month of free usage ran out - the trial of traffic - I didn't bother renewing.

Despite all of the miles I did through January, this system only worked the once in the car. It worked fine in the house linked to a normal computer, but that is no good when you are out on the road.

Until it gets better I would hang fire instead of paying a load of money for it. These things always get better with age.

Crying or Very sad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I would regard your experience as atypical.

The fact that TomTom Traffic worked when you were connected via ActiveSync indicates that, as I find on my system, TomTom Traffic works correctly. Your problem appears to be to do with not having GPRS set up correctly.

If you can get GPRS Internet access working correctly in car, I suspect TomTom Traffic would work correctly for you. I've given what I believe to be full and correct instructions in my earlier replies (and the message I linked to).

David
MartyE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David I have downloaded about four different sets of instructions to do this. They all differ slight;y in the way they are laid out and the steps they take you through. Some don't tally exactly with what has been happening on my screen.

But I will have a look in detail at your suggestions and then if I can get them to work I may reconsider the Traffic option from Tom Tom. However, at the moment, there doesn't seem any point in me paying for it. Pistol Shoot Out
chrisnel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty
I saw your posting last Thursday saying you were giving up with TT Traffic after the free month trial and fully intended responding to encourage you to stick with it. I too have been trying Traffic and have had no problems at all using it on my IPAQ hx4700 via a bluetooth connection to my Orange SPV500 mobile phone. Traffic updates have been working fine both in manual mode and when set to automatically update every 5 minutes.

But then I renewed my subscription and since then its all gone pear-shaped!

Whenever I try to update the traffic information now the "dialling" dialog box appears but then I get the message "Cannot connect to TomTom".

With the IPAQ sitting in the cradle connected to my desktop PC I can update traffic information no problem. So all TomTom account names and passwords must be set up ok. When the IPAQ is standalone I can use Internet Explorer and browse the internet over a bluetooth dial up connection through my mobile phone. And yet when I try and update Traffic in that mode....nothing!

Anyone any ideas?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: