Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - motorbike mounts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

motorbike mounts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that minor residential roads don't appear until you zoom in on the map. When you got a fix, it zooms right in on your position and the road appears. Perhaps this is what happened? You can change the level of map detail, but it may make the map too cluttered to read easily.

Or were you using the "Find" function to search for the road by name?
tjr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Quest was preloaded with maps of UK and Ireland - the outside of the box will say so if your's has them. It sounds like they are.

It's worth noting that you can turn the GPS receiver off for using the Quest indoors. This is great if you want to explore the maps and set up all your favourite destinations. Press Menu > Use Indoors for this. The unit will remember where it was last and display this on the map by defaut.
wolfie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Quest on BMW R1150RT Reply with quote

I've just successfully fitted a Garmin Quest to my R1150RT using the standard RAM mount m/cycle mount with U-bolt and unpowered cradle form Woody's (www.blue-job.co.uk). There is just enough room to fit the u-bolt to the left hand handlebar beside the the clucth resevoir (protect the bar against scratching with electrical tape). This is far cheaper and more readily available than mounts specifically for the RT. A power cable to power up the cradle will be available soon from RAM and will attach to this cradle.[/img]
AnonymousBodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos of Quest with RAM mounts and Garmin cradle on Triumph Daytona 955 http://www.t595.net/album/album.asp?album=4712
Garmin cradle has power feed and audio connection, but is very difficult to obtain!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnonymousBodge wrote:
Garmin cradle has power feed and audio connection, but is very difficult to obtain!

Not to mention expensive! 8O

Where did you get your Garmin mount and how much did it cost? Does it connect to the standard diamond RAM mount or do you need a special connector?
bustupbiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
AnonymousBodge wrote:

Not to mention expensive! 8O

Where did you get your Garmin mount and how much did it cost? Does it connect to the standard diamond RAM mount or do you need a special connector?

Just spotted this sorry Skippy, i got my powered mount from GPS warehouse £53.85p inc vat and delivery with ram arm mount and diamond thingie.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bustupbiker wrote:
Just spotted this sorry Skippy, i got my powered mount from GPS warehouse £53.85p inc vat and delivery with ram arm mount and diamond thingie.

Just looking at a picture of the mount - it doesn't look very secure. Does the Quest just clip in and out like the car mount or does it have some sort of locking mechanism like the RAM cradle has. Confused
Viffer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first post and I thought I would try and offer help before I post my first (of i'm sure many) cry for help.

My new Quest and Ram mounts arrived today and I hooked it up to the bike. Have to say I am really pleased with it.

I shared your concerns skippy about how secure that particular holder was and the price.

I went for RAM-HOL-GA15. The quest is locked in solid and the diamond base fits perfectly onto the back.

I spoke to RAM and they said they will soon (couple of weeks) have a bare wire power and audio lead sold seperately for he said £10-£20 to fit the GA15.

So if you have already already got the GA15 might be worth giving them a call / hanging on for a couple of weeks.

I certainly want to get the audio hooked up to my Autocom. Today I kept glancing at the screen rather than looking out for white van man.
XJR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, This too is my first post. My name is Willie and I stay in Glasgow. I ride an XJR and have recently bought the Garmin Quest to use on a trip to Slovakia in July 8)
I work down in Reading and decided to go to the GPS warehouse and buy the RAM mount and cradle. I too have been told that the power/audio cable will be on the market soon - I'm needing this to hook up to my new Autocom system (bloody expensive tour!!!).
I'm new to this GPS stuff so I'll apologise in advance for any stupid questions I may ask in future!!!
Thanks for the help so far though.
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only recommend the GPS warehouse. They supplied my RAM mount and Garmin powered cradle. Like you, I will also be riggin this up to my Autocom but it works very well without the voice prompts.

Hey, never wind the cost!!! It may work out expensive for one tour but all the others will be free after that!!!

This is how the Quest looks on my ZZR1200:

http://www.zzr1200.net/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=Mounting-bar-AVOVE-the-clocks&id=DSC_00031&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
The_Apprentice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo all

Just got a Quest to replace my Emap, and thought I would add a bit of info.

I use the RAM mount with the non powered cradle attached to the handlebars of my TDM850. (It will also be going on the Harley too :P )

I did speak to GPSW and they have informed me that they are making up a cable that will fit onto the back of the cradle for around £30 providing bare cable power connections and a 3.5m jack.
They are expected to be in stock around the end of this month.

It will probably be cheaper to by a replacement car kit and use that cable.
http://www.elsinga.net/portal/221.html hints that there should be enough room to fit an integral 3.5mm jack.
So there are a few possibilities.
I will let you know which I went for.
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Apprentice wrote:
I did speak to GPSW and they have informed me that they are making up a cable that will fit onto the back of the cradle for around £30 providing bare cable power connections and a 3.5m jack.

When I spoke to RAM yesterday they thought it would be around £40 which sounds EXPENSIVE Crying or Very sad

I've looked at putting a connector into the speaker moulding. There may be room but the 0,5 micron wires put me off. Sad
XJR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZZR1200.........I too will recommend GPSW if they can supply me with the Quest power/audio lead for the RAM mount I bought from them in the next two weeks......(as they promised!!!!).
Panic is starting to creep in Sad
itspilsbury
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21663

I have just found the above link which explains how to get a transparent map download for the Quest which shows all UK Speed Cameras, Red Light Cameras etc.

I followed the instructions and it works, My Quest now shows all camera locations in the UK.

The file download is at

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/walterwright

Ian
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPL wrote:
The_Apprentice wrote:

When I spoke to RAM yesterday they thought it would be around £40 which sounds EXPENSIVE Crying or Very sad

I've looked at putting a connector into the speaker moulding. There may be room but the 0,5 micron wires put me off. Sad
If you remove the 2 crosshead screws on the circuit board you can access the solder behind the tiny wires.............any thoughts as to where you would put the jack??

Anyone know what the 5th brass connector on the Quest unit does??.........extreme right is live, next earth , other 2 speaker

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: