Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP 5 Lockup's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP 5 Lockup's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lockups Reply with quote

Ianh100 wrote:
I am also getting lockups every few days, I would agree that it does seem to be when it re-routes.

Ipaq 3970
Compaq INS sleeve
Speed camera POI alerts turned on.

Regards
Ian

Have you installed the patch for CP5 avaiable from www.alk.eu.com
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daven wrote:
To answer some points - the PPC that is loosing memory is an Ipaq 2210, running the most up to date ROM version (1.10).

Which operating system does your 2210 use? is it Pocket PC 2002 or 2003.
Just wondering if CP5 is having problems with PPC2002 as I'm on PPC2003. Also do you have CP's Maps on a SD Card? as there have been problems with certain manufactures cards.
Clutching at straws here, try running with all the POI's unticked and see if that makes a differance.
As Dave stated in a previous post low memory does seem to cause lockups.
Perhaps if a few more were to post their setups and if they are getting lockups or not might show up if it PPC, Operating system, available free memeory or SD Card related.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
daven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XDA,
Like you, I'm running PocketPC 2003 - so probably not OS related.
I do have both the application and the mapping installed on an SD card, so am interested in your comment that this has caused problems in the past. The card is a Kingston card, so not some obscure OEM type - and has not given problems with any other applications.

I've still not had a response from ALK, and have now (yesterday) submitted another support request with additional detail - no acknowledgement of that one either yet!

Cheers
Dave
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have noticed lost memory on my ipaq 5555 (WM2003) with the following process:

Note memory settings
Launch Co-Pilot (Without Bluetooth on)
Go straight to planning mode.
Plan a trip
Go back plan totally different trip (Using the addres locator - so that the city, road dB's have to be loaded)
Exit Co-pilot
Check memory settings.

Dependant on the length of my trip i always loose a few MB's.

Matt
daven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a response from ALK now, saying that this issue is being looked into by 2nd line support in the US. I've provided a link to this tread back to ALK, so any info provided here may be of help...
Cheers
Dave
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can report the following after testing on my Ipaq 5550 with version 5.0.1.22 of CP5.

Following a reset the memory stats where as follows:

Storage allocated 63.31 in use6.12
Program allocated63.32 in use 8.38

Starting CP5 makes no difference to storage memory, the following represnts the "in use" stats for Program memory after repeatedly starting and stopping CP5 Cleanly.

following a soft rset the setting returned to 8.38.

What ever is causing the memory leak clearly stabilised after 5 start/stop cycles. It may not infact be CP5 it could be some other services that CP5 is using such as Bluetooth Manager or a Serial port device or SD card driver. This may explain why everyone is not suffering the same fate. Have those of you suffering the problems ensured you are using the latest firmware/drivers for your PPC?

I hope this helps!

Regards BigH.
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I am using PPC 2003 1.10.10 with all latest drivers from HP.

Regards BigH
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daven wrote:
XDA,
Like you, I'm running PocketPC 2003 - so probably not OS related.

I think that rules out the operating system.
Quote:
I do have both the application and the mapping installed on an SD card, so am interested in your comment that this has caused problems in the past. The card is a Kingston card, so not some obscure OEM type - and has not given problems with any other applications.

Previously I was running TomTom v2 on a Novatech SD Card without problems. When I upgraded to version 3 I started getting frequent lockups. This was because of the much more aggressive way that TT3 used the SD card. From the many discussions on this site about SD cards it is generally agreed that the genuine Panasonic card didn't give these problems. Anyway I switched to a Panasonic card and TT3 ran Ok without the lockups and I use the same panasonic card for CP5. It just may be that CP5 is just as aggressive with SD cards as TT3 is. I'll install CP5 to my old Novatech SD card over this weekend and see if the XDA II and CP starts lockingup.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigH wrote:
Well I can report the following after testing on my Ipaq 5550 with version 5.0.1.22 of CP5.

Following a reset the memory stats where as follows:

Storage allocated 63.31 in use6.12
Program allocated63.32 in use 8.38

Starting CP5 makes no difference to storage memory, the following represnts the "in use" stats for Program memory after repeatedly starting and stopping CP5 Cleanly.
I hope this helps!

Regards BigH.

This seems to show that PPC's with a large amount of available memory or not getting the lockups.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
Previously I was running TomTom v2 on a Novatech SD Card without problems. When I upgraded to version 3 I started getting frequent lockups. This was because of the much more aggressive way that TT3 used the SD card. From the many discussions on this site about SD cards it is generally agreed that the genuine Panasonic card didn't give these problems. Anyway I switched to a Panasonic card and TT3 ran Ok without the lockups and I use the same panasonic card for CP5. It just may be that CP5 is just as aggressive with SD cards as TT3 is. I'll install CP5 to my old Novatech SD card over this weekend and see if the XDA II and CP starts lockingup.
I have run CP5 from the SD card alongside the maps quite happily, although I have now moved the application into main memory in order to free up some space on my SD card for more maps and data. I never ran into problems with it in either configuration, and I do have one of the slow Sandisk 1GB cards which seem to cause TomTom so much trouble, so I think CP5 is probably happy with any old SD card.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer wrote:
I have run CP5 from the SD card alongside the maps quite happily, although I have now moved the application into main memory in order to free up some space on my SD card for more maps and data. I never ran into problems with it in either configuration, and I do have one of the slow Sandisk 1GB cards which seem to cause TomTom so much trouble, so I think CP5 is probably happy with any old SD card.

Thanks for that, if CP5 is ok with Sandisk Cards then it rules that out. I did put CP5 on my old Novatech SD Card and did a trip up to Farnham and back this afternoon/evening and forced a few re-routes but didn't get any lockups or reduction in memory. It seems to point to, if CP5 is on a PPC with a low amount of free Memory available to start with, the memory decreases each time CP is started without a soft reset. It seems like low free memory is preventing CP from exiting cleanly and leaving one or more of it's units still holding on to memory.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to add to this thread:

Running CPL5 on Mitac 168 where I've moved most progs to run from the SD card which leaves about 32Mb free on the Mitac for running programs.

I always do a soft reset before running CPL5 but it nearly always locks up after about 3 or 4 re-routes (ie. if I ignore the calculate route). I get the same problem regardless of which of my 3 SD cards I use (128Mb Kingston, 512Mb Kingston, 1Gb Lexar).

And of course there's the problem POIs only being announced when CPL5 feels in the mood to do so.

I bought CPL5 after the glowing reviews on here, but I now wonder about the wisdom of my purchase.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had problems on the Mitac Mio's I have here, they've all been behaving themselves quite nicely. The only time I have had a problem is if I've swicthed the Mitac off (or allowed it to switch off under power settings) then try to switch it on and navigate. This seems to cause memory issues.

Other than that, I fairly religiously with all the testing I do soft reset the PPC before using the next app and doing this and having a min of 15mb free in program memory cures 90% of my memory malloc issues.
keeps54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Lockups setting up Live Reply with quote

I'm not sure whether this is best for the Live thread or this lockups thread. I've been using CoPilot 5 fine for a few months and am quite happy with it apart from it's constant desire to route me through the middle of London instead of around the North Circular or M25.
I've just go a bluetooth mobile (Nokia 6230) and after installing the bluetooth security patch to my HP IPAQ 2210 have managed to pair them together.
I've tried setting up the Live service and have found that CoPilot locks up every time after establishing the Live connection. I get the green circle thing but the screen is just dead while it works out the route and never recovers. By reseting the PPC and eventually managing to turn off the live connection I find I can't use CoPilot at all (something must be corrupted and it always locks up) unless I uninstall and reinstall CoPilot again. As soon as I try to set up Live again I'm all locked up again.
Any ideas?
pauleley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Hi keeps54 Reply with quote

I Have the Same setup as you and only ever had 1 lock up.
Out of mem it sayed but soft reset and OK.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: