Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP5 install: still can't download map data to SD
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP5 install: still can't download map data to SD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: CP5 install: still can't download map data to SD Reply with quote

I have just upgraded from CP4.5 to CP5, on my iPaq 3975.
I also installed the patch 5.0.1.22, both on desktop and PPC (I think).

I have tried many dozens of times to download map data to my 512meg SD card (as well as a new 64meg card just for good luck).

I do not have a card reader, but I could borrow one tomorrow.

I still get errors or Access Violations when downloading map data, as follows:
-download selected map region only: this is followed by an error popup that "download was not successful, please download again". Further tries fail. When I attempt to restart CP on the PPC I get error popup followed by program exit: "CoPilot detected a prior version of data on your device. Please download the correct data. App Version: 5.0.1.13 Data Version: [blank]"

-download including Quickstart: this appears to load the selected map data (at least no error is reported) but it always leads to Access Error at address 00B33415. A FAQ says this should be cured by invoking 'regsvr32.exe ALKXML.DLL' in the app directory, but I did this often without any improvement.

In both of the above errors, Active Sync loses the connection with the PPC, which I must restart to restore communication.

On a hunch, I shifted the download target to "Directory C:\" in RAM, and this succeeded, so I was finally able at least to start CP5 and try out the new features a little. But I need to get downloads going to my SD card, as they did without problem in CP3, 4, and 4.5

I have done many soft resets
I have frequently deleted the Storage Card\CoPilot directory, to let it be regenerated in the next download.
I have emailed Tech Support, got a reply with several suggestions that did not work.

In the file favorites.lst on the desktop and on the PPC I find the first line:
Data Version=5.0.1.3
This is stored in directory C:\Program Files\CoPilot\PocketPC5\NA\Save

This may shed light on the supposed conflict between App version of 5.0.1.13 and data version, but I don't know what to make of it. I even tried changing the line in favorites.lst to make it reflect the app version, but this didn't help.

Any ideas? I have spent several hours reading through this forum looking for a clue.

Doug
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, I have seen a number of these errors before, and usually it's due to several problems.

1) ActiveSync isn't completing the download correctly
2) You have a mix of versions

You can pretty much resolve 2 by doing what you did by downloading the data to c:\

What I would do is:-

1) Uninstall CPL4
2) Delete any directories you have on your SD card (or atleast rename them if you have space)
3) If you still don't have access to a card reader, then open up ActiveSync on the PC, click the EXPLORE button, browse to your Storage Card and try and copy the COPILOT directory from your C:\ across (there may also be another directory it creates that you'll need to copy across).

If that fails too, then it's definitely an ActiveSync or Storage Card writing problem which means either your Storage Card has errors and you will need to fix these by putting them in a storage card reader and running scandisk against the drive letter (or reformat the card) or you have a defunct card.

The other issue maybe down to ActiveSync so it would be good to get hold of a storage card reader as soon as possible as there are some versions of ActiveSync namely 3.7.1 that do have problems copying data to the PPC and you may be experiencing this problem.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave,
I am currently getting some tech support from ALK, along the very lines you suggest.

I already did the experiment (at tech supt request) of downloading map data to C: drive (this means the data really does not leave your desktop), then copy/pasting C:\copilot to the PPC directory MyDevice\Storage Cart\Copilot.

This succeeds. I can run and use CP5 on the PPC. But it is not a solution for normal data downloads.

Tech supt is now also suggesting that I have a problem with my ActiveSync 3.7.1, which could be. In fact with CP4 I had to downgrade my ActiveSync to 3.7 or earlier for this exact same problem (i.e. "storage card not recognized"), and I specifically upgraded Copilot from 4 to 4.5 just to get away from this and be able to return to ActiveSync 3.7.1.

I did uninstall CP4.5 before I started the upgrade to CP5.

As for my 512meg SD card I also deleted the 2577 dir and the Copilot directory. I didn't delete the camera DCIM directory but I couldn't see anything else to delete. Also, I got the same errors on a brand new 64meg card I tried for that reason.

Still, as you say, I will try to get a card reader and reformat the SD if I can.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
I uninstalled/reinstalled ActiveSync 3.7.1, makes no difference. I still can't download to Storage Card.

I still am trying to find and borrow an SD card reader. But I have little hope for this, since I have been using this card along with ActiveSync 3.7.1 for many months with CP4.5 without problem. I thought all my Active Sync problems would be over when I upgraded to CP4.5.

For now Tech Support suggests that I live with the workaround of downloading to the PC's C: drive and then manually copying the data over to the PPC storage card. I have no other choice.

I suspect that I do have some kind of version conflict, and I assume Tech Support will soon tell me to start over with uninstall/reinstall of CP5.

Thanks for your help
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
lexuscol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound like teaching your graany to suck eggs and in no way do I want to insult you but are you sure you have installed the update and not merely downloaded it to your computer ? you have installed to both pc and ppc try uninstalling and just download and install the ppc update, see if that works best of luck.
Regards
Col
PS when I first got mine I had trouble moving the maps I was getting all sorts of weird configurations turned out to be pilot error on my part,

tt go 730T
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWBiker wrote:
I already did the experiment (at tech supt request) of downloading map data to C: drive (this means the data really does not leave your desktop), then copy/pasting C:\copilot to the PPC directory MyDevice\Storage Cart\Copilot.

This succeeds. I can run and use CP5 on the PPC. But it is not a solution for normal data downloads.

Doug, this is how I do it. It's one more step in the process. ActiveSync is very finicky with large downloads and at some point it's timing out. I suspect that when you are downloading direct through ActiveSync to your SD card that when it does error the green light on ActiveSync has changed grey which means that the PPC has lost USB connection to your PC. I get this a lot and I can just leave my PPC connected for 20 mins and suddenly it will disconnect.

It's much more reliable to download the data to your C: drive or to another directory and then just copy/paste the data across. I don't know why but this happens with other apps too, ActiveSync and the PPC just seem to be very flakey in the automatic transfer process.
lynnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWBiker .... I have never had any trouble loading my maps and trips directly to my memory card or to it thru Activesync so I'm having a little trouble understanding exactly what the problem is. I use a card reader for direct load usually because it is much faster. The card reader shows up as a drive letter and I just select that and away we go.... Since they are so cheap, I would suggest that you consider getting one .. especially if you see youself transferring maps or planned trips regularly. I concur with the other post ... make sure that you have the latest versions on both your PC and PDA. Also.. make sure the PPC is not set to automatically shut off in some number of minutes even when it has external power .. check the power settings. Keep with it .. you'll find it.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for feedback. I still can't download map data to the SD card in the PPC, and I'm giving up on it.

I just finished two marathon phone sessions with ALK tech support, and the tech also totally gave up on it. He says that mine is the only PPC with this problem, and he blames ActiveSync (To repeat, I just re-installed 3.7.1, no improvement).

So I can get by with the workaround of downloading to the C: drive on the desktop then copy-over to PPC. And I will get a card reader right away, since that is the only way to go for speed anyway. I would have gotten one several days ago, except I wasted all the shopping hours here at the PC trying to make it work! I know the card readers are cheap and fast, wish I got one sooner.

As to the problem itself, it is still truly baffling. I deliberately chose small map data downloads, like 2meg or so, to avoid any timeout issue. The iPaq 3975 is set to stay powered on forever when hooked to external power, as it is. I have 64meg of ram in this PPC, and I just recently hard reset it, re-upgraded to BIOS 2.10. I definitely applied Patch 5.0.1.22 to both desktop and PPC.

Here is the precise failure scenario, just for reference:
-start a download of 2meg worth of city radius data, only 5miles around my home town, no highway data, no favorites (note 1: I usually exclude most POI under options first, but I have repeated the problem when I press Reset to Default for the options. Note 2: if I include Quickstart with the download it will terminate finally with a GPF for Access Error. If I omit Quickstart the download terminates with a simple failure message.

-after 2 minutes, when in step 2 of 3 "copying selected data", I hear a ding-a-ling (the ActiveSync noise) from the PPC as if an event has occurred. But the PPC still shows the ActiveSync icon in the lower right of screen. I know that communication is really dead at this point.

-approx 20 secs later the ActiveSync icon disappears from the PPC display, but on the desktop ActiveSync still says "Connected".

-approx 30 secs after this the desktop ActiveSync dingalings and reports "not connected" and the CoPilot: Access Error pops up simultaneously.

From this it would appear that CoPilot is the victim of an ActiveSync failure, but that's as far as I can get.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Doug[/quote]
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two builds of ActiveSync 3.7.1. The older build 3244 has problems with some third party software (due to changes made in the specification of RAPI, the protocol that third party programs use to operate through ActiveSync).

Build 4034, which is what you get when you download ActiveSync 3.7.1 now, has supposedly fixed these issues. Check which build of ActiveSync 3.7.1 you have (Help -> About Microsoft ActiveSync) - the build number is at the end of the top line. If it's not 4034, download ActiveSync 3.7.1 from the Microsoft site, install it and try again.

David
MDRedwood
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear BMWBiker,
I had a similar problem to you, and solved it with a card reader.
The only problem was that I was using a cheapie card reader-it wouldn't work properly.
Once I stopped being a cheapskate and bought a good quality one, the download went smoothly (and relatively quickly).
Stick to the card reader-it's more reliable!
Happy New Year,
Mike
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing that none of us have touched upon which it could be is a firewall (software based) that's installed. E.g. ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security or even the XP Firewall that's enabled and is causing a problem with ActiveSync.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I posted an update to this problem. If not, thanks for all the friendly advice.

I have side-stepped the problem by getting a SanDisk card reader. The data downloads are reliable and about 5 times faster than using ActiveSync, so it is the only way to go for me. The Reader only cost about $19.

I was using the suggested build 4034 of Active Sync 3.7.1, so that wasn't the problem. It is possible that the anti-virus SW used at work here was causing trouble, but I no longer want to investigate.

Thanks again.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: