Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom go or navman 510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom go or navman 510
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The navman software DOES work with virtual pc - the version 7 software of virtual pc works fine on my G5, OSX. But it does take over an hour to load the last bit for some reason.
Old_Phil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read all the comments with interest. I have now bought 4 TTGOs in preference to the 510 - 1) The GO is not at all cumbersome to carry around - you'd think it was the size of a suitcase to hear some comments. It fits inside my overcoat pocket or mostly I slip it into my laptop carry case or briefcase. 2) since you do not look at the screen much at all, but need to listen out for voice commands all the time, it is much, much more important to have good sound quality. The GO is superb in this regard. 3) the ability to choose shortest ot fastest is never an issue for me. If I want to go the shortest route I simply ask the GO to calc an alternate route - and that is pretty well the short route. The ability to vary speed of travel to help calculate arrival time is not an issue - unless there is a massive traffic jam, I arrive within a minute or so of the estimate (given at the start of my journey) even over a 200 mile trip. The standard set into the GO work fine for me.

The GO also gives an accurate speed readout, which the 510 does not.
The GO recalculates in seconds, just like the reports on the 510. The GO mount sticks like a limpit to the screen, it is absolutely secure.
The GO is cheaper to buy, albeit the prices are close.

My take is that whether you get a GO or 510, you will be delighted. GO for it!
Dennis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Virtual Pc Reply with quote

The Navman software does work with VPC 7 on Mac OSX. I have it working on mine. It just takes about an hour to install the last part of the programme - but it does eventually load in.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old_Phil wrote:
The GO also gives an accurate speed readout, which the 510 does not.

Could you please elaborate on why the 510 speed readout is not accurate?
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Old_Phil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys,

Yes, I can see why note was less than clear. On the Tomtom GO the current speed is displayed on the screen (bottom right hand corner). This means that as you drive along, you can quickly glance at the screen and see your true speed - remembering that by law our car speedometers must read low. So, when my VW Bora indicates it is travelling at a steady 70 mph, my GO indicates an actual 67 mph - which is pretty much what you would expect.

On all the pictures of the 510 I can see no trace of an actual speed display. I'm confident that the 510 accurately measures speed - it just does not appear to display it.

Since I don't have a 510 I can't be certain, but I have looked very carefully at the review pictures.
Dennis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: It does show speed Reply with quote

The Navaman does show speed - tap the bottom right box and you can toggle tyhrough, time,speed, time to go,Estimated time of arrival, distance to go, distance to turn, compass heading. That's more than I think you can display on the go - and all at the press of the screen!

Dennis
Old_Phil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dennis, but I'm afraid the GO wins hands down.

I don't need to tap the screen or toggle anything - on my screen, all the time, is my speed, the current time, time to go, ETA, distance to go. Distance to turn is shown nice and large. Also shown is name of road you are currently on.

OK, the GO does not show compass heading - but what's the point - it does show me what is in front and that's all I need to know.
Dennis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: It depends Reply with quote

on what you like. I had the go and the sound is fantastic for - but the Navman wins hands down for me just on the basis of portability. Glad you enjoy the go. I bought one for my mother as it is so simple to use,

Den :-)
keikiwai
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: POI'S alert Reply with quote

Hi all (and specialy Old Phil !).
My question relates to the active points of interest. After adding POI's (eg. safety camera's), can you specify the distance for the alert (eg. 200m or 1 mile) on your GO ? Also, how does the alert display itself ? Is it just audio, or audio and visual on the display ?
I think this is important !
Dennis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Navman and VPC on a mac Reply with quote

I have said this several times - the software will work on Mac OSX with VPC7. However it takes an age to install for some reason, but eventually it does and it works fine. I download all the camera databases onto it from this site and I am using an applemac G5. However, you are right - on the site it says it doesn't, but it does on the config mentioned above.

Dennis
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis wrote:
I have said this several times - the software will work on Mac OSX with VPC7.

Have you managed to update the software to SP1, and if so did you use your MAC and VPC to do it, please?
Dennis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: VPC and Mac Reply with quote

Yes, I updated my navman on the mac to SP1 with no difficulty at all.

Den
Old_Phil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a reply especially for keikiwai,

You have full control over the warning distance for POIs. The default is 273 yards but I have mine set to 400 yds. You also have a range of warning sounds - I choose beep3 which sounds a two-tone horn "beep beeep!". Yes, the warning is audio & visual - but since I'm watching the road, the audio always impinges on my brain first. You can switch off the audio, but this seems pretty pointless to me.

Some folk have recorded their own warning sounds - the GO is very flexible in this regard. As for the display, when you come within the warning range of the selected POI you hear the warning (beep beeep!) and the POI icon appears in the top left corner of the display with a distance to go countdown. The actual POI on the map (assuming it is close enough to be displayed) will be flashing.

You can set the GO to either ONLY warn of POIs on your route or to warn whenever you come within range of a POI. I use the second approach, because on local journies I rarely set a route up - but it's still good to get a reminder that you are getting close to a safety camera location.

On the GO you always see your actual speed displayed which is more accurate than your car speedometer. This gives you a good confirmation that you are indeed travelling within the speed limit.

Hope this helps.
Team225
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My father has a Tomtom Go and I have the Navman 510.

Ive got to say their both very good.

Tomtom:
(Benefits) Clearer display ie not to many boxes and larger icons, better sound quality, better adjustments for PIO warnings and a choice of sounds, easy to upload POIs
(Against) Larger than the navmn, a little slower

Navman:
(Benefits) Smaller and easily fits in pocket, some clever features (ie show no entry roads)
(Against) Sound quality is not that good, cant select proper distances for POI warnings and no selection of tones and chimes for POI warnings.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: