Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - mitac 168
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

mitac 168

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: mitac 168 Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Comparison shows expansion slot is not SDIO. Mitac site says it is.
http://www.mio-tech.be/products/gps/168/spec.asp

thanks for useful and interesting site
bil
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm this from real life experience?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was SDIO... I've got one at home but it's all sealed up for the wife (xmas present). I can let you know on Dec 25th once she's opened it!
simonm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 168, I think its SDIO. I have a wireless lan card in it,and it works well, if thats any indication.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonm wrote:
I have a 168, I think its SDIO. I have a wireless lan card in it,and it works well, if thats any indication.

That shows it DEFINATELY has SDIO.
simonm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its so cool, I can access the Internet when im on the bog !
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon...or anyone,

I'm thinking of following your example of surfing whilst sh@@@ing!!

If I buy a Sandisk 256 WiFi card for the Mitac 168, can you suggest the simplest PCI card for a Win2k computer that has a basic BT ADSL connection via the "Frog" USB modem. I'm not looking for a wireless LAN, simply a transmitter that will communicate with the Mitac.

Perhaps this is a wireless LAN setup, I'm not sure?

Any advice most welcome.
simonm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO you just want to connect MItac to PC ? or to internet aswell ?

If you just want to connect Mitac to PC then you will need a wireless hub, then a network card in your PC that is hardwired to Hub.
There are a ton outthere, Netgear are pretty good.

If you then want to connect to Internet, you can get a wireless ADSL router that will connect your PC and your Mitac to your Broadband connection. Using a hub is the best way to connect to BB IMHO adds more security and gets rid of the nasty green frog !

hope that helps.

Merry Xmas.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are talking about a wireless LAN.

The best thing, for security and ease of setup, is to retire your 'frog' in favour of a wireless ADSL router. Switching your main PC over to a router for its Internet connection will, most likely, give a welcome increase in ADSL and even overall stability. There's many different types available; my favourites are the ZyXEL Prestige range. Take a look at the ZyXEL Prestige 660HW (which may be described as the 660HW-61; that being the precise variant needed in the UK).

Be aware, if you do this, you'll need an Ethernet connection to your PC from the router. Ethernet cards can be picked up very cheaply if the PC doesn't have an Ethernet controller built in.

I'm running a high end ZyXEL setup here - I've got a cheap ZyXEL Prestige 650H-E1 behind a ZyXEL ZyWALL 35 (which is around 400 pounds worth of dual Internet load balancing router with high end firewall, VPN, dial backup and wireless network features).

David
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your advice - I'll cogitate over Christmas and come back with more questions later!
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have an old Kingston KNE30BT network card left over from my very original BT Broadband trial of about 5 years go. As this card is rated at only 10Mbps can I assume it would be wiser to buy a newer, faster card?

Assuming yes, are there any network card recommendations - to go with DavidW's suggestion of Zyxel 660HW router?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your only interest is in something that links to the router, the old card you have is probably more than sufficient. After all, there's no harm in starting out with what you have before replacing it with something more up to date. If you're going to get into networking between computers, I'd change it for a more modern 10/100 PCI card, which are inexpensive.

Gigabit is often not worthwhile for home or small office networks. Part of my network (click here for a picture) is Gigabit, but only because two of my machines have factory fit Gigabit cards, and a 24 port 10/100 plus 2 port 10/100/1000 was a logical size switch to buy.

If you look at that picture, which is a little out of date, the main switch, a Netgear FSM726, is at the bottom. On top of that, the silver and red box is the main router and firewall, a ZyXEL ZyWALL 35. The black box is the ADSL router - in my case a cheap ZyXEL Prestige 650H-E1. The modem on top is connect to the ZyWALL for dial backup in the event of an ADSL outage.

The last time I needed a network card - for a friend's old PC - I picked up a 3Com 3C905B-TX from eBay for £3. The 3C905B-TX and 3C905C-TX are pretty much 'classic' designs. The more modern Intel cards are excellent too (my Dell dual Xeon workstation has an Intel Gigabit card built in to the motherboard).

David
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I realise this that thread is incorrectly named, and in the incorrect forum but I'd just like to ask you for a bit more WiFi advice. (Perhaps it would be better moved to another forum?)

I've looked at the ZyXEL Prestige 650H, but my eye has been caught by BT's own Voyager 2100 which by all accounts is very easy to set up - and would have BT suppport. Pricewise it's about the same as the ZyXEL.

Given that this is all very new to me I'm inclined to go for the easy setup BT option, but would like to know if this is a choice I might later regret.

I've today taken delivery of the SanDisk 256Mb WiFi card (next day delivery from Expansys = excellent service), and am struggling to make sense of how it works. I've run a couple of "sniffing" progs like WiFiFoFum and StreetHawk which picked up a couple of signals in Starbucks, but of course without a subscription I wasn't expecting to connect...it just proves the card works!

This will be a long journey over infamiliar territory for me, so I may well be asking for some more advice later. However, I'm very appreciative of the help you've given me so far.

Best wishes,
Geoff.
thdimi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got sdio 56k modem to use it with my mio 168 but I cannot connect to my provider due an "unown reason".Any idea?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: