Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lidl Navigator 6500XL - Safety Camera Software?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lidl Navigator 6500XL - Safety Camera Software?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceCadet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Lidl Navigator 6500XL - Safety Camera Software? Reply with quote

Hi

I'm new to PDAs & GPS but recently bought the Lidl 6500XL however I haven't a clue how to include safety cameras into the Falk software supplied or which software is compatible - I have tried CheckPoint without success, anybody help?

Cheers
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheckPOInt won't work - that's for TomTom. I'm not sure there's any POI warning software for the Falk software, and, indeed, whether it's possible for third party software to add POI warning features.

David
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Travel-i

The Lite version is free and can be downloaded here
The program can give you audible and visual warnings when you are unintentionally exceeding the speed limit and also warn you when approaching a speed camera allowing you to monitor your speed through the accident black spot thus preventing you having your picture taken.

To make this work alongside other software you will need GpsGate which can be downloaded here
GpsGate lets you share one GPS between several applications. GpsGate can create any number of virtual serial ports which most NMEA enabled GPS applications can connect to.

I have used both programs successfully in the past and can recommend them if you cannot use CheckPOInt, POI Warner or suchlike.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
SpaceCadet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Safety Cameras Reply with quote

Hi

Thanx for your replies guys - very helpful, wouldn't have a clue otherwise!

Will look into the additional software mensioned & let you know!

Rob
SpaceCadet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Travel-iLE & GpsGate v1.10 Reply with quote

Hi Ian

I have installed both pieces of software mentioned above however I can't get them to communicate with each other or my GPS!

If I do a GPS search on my PDA to find what com/baud rate I am using & then duplicate this information into GpsGate my Satnav no longer works - it seems to be either one application or the other, it doesn't seem to want to share the same com/baud rate!

Likewise when I create a virtual output port in GpsGate & duplicate this port within Travel-iLE it doesn't operate - Travel-iLE simply flashes 'No GPS Unit' - I have tried every virtual port on my PDA!

Both pieces of software downloaded/set-up ok - Is there something silly I've missed/not doing - Any ideas?

Cheers
Rob
Glynned
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

First of all I'll try and explain how. It works on my 6500xl, so here goes
1. Make sure GPS Gate is running, there will be a yellow coloured 'G' in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. Tap on the 'G' and a menu will appear, tap again on settings.

2. A window will open which at the top says 'input', select 'com port', then from the drop down menus to the right select com 2 and 4800

3. Look down the page to where it says 'output', from the drop menu select 'virtual ports'. Then below where it says add virtual port, again from the pull down menu. A number of ports will be displayed, I used com5 and com6 because they were esy to remember. Once added the ports will be visible on the left of the page. Click on ok, top right.

4. Start Travel-iLE and tap on the setup menu, then tap on the Gereral tab. At the top of the page it says Baud, selct 4800 from the drop menu. them select com 5. Set the speed margin to what you like ie 10 is ten percent over the limit. Then select the wave field you want to hear as a warning for both alarm when a speed camera is nearby and another wave file for the overspeed warning. Set the distance the wave will play from the speed camera, leave the database as is. Thats Travel-iLE setup.

5.Now you need to go in to Falk Navigator and in to the settings and set the com port to 6, leave the baud as is. Thats it all you need to do is get a gps signal and make sure GPSGate is running, when a signal is present the 'G' bottom right will be green, open Falk and Travel i and both programs should run. I've set both Falk and Travel i to the shortcut buttons at the bottom of the pda so I can switch at the push of a button between them. The voice instructions of Falk will play over Travel i.

Hope this helps.

Glynne
SpaceCadet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: GpsGate & Travel-iLE Reply with quote

Hi Glynne

After several attempts last night I un-installed GpsGate v1.10, I then installed GpsGate.PPC which worked first time - both my GPS Satnav & the Travel-iLE worked (I've not test driven the system yet to know if both programs will run simultaneously whilst navigating) curiously though I don't get the little G icon at the bottom of the PDA screen, I have to go to the start menu to open GpsGate - At the risk of sounding stupid how do I add Falk & Travel-iLE as shortcuts to the bottom of the PDA screen so I can switch quickly between the two on the go?

Cheers - Everybodies been a real help, wouldn't even of had a clue what software to have used otherwise!

Rob
Glynned
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

I'm running GPSGate V.1.03 and while the programs running the 'G' is displayed bottom right of the pda screen, you get to the setup menu by tapping on the 'G'. I don't have the same version as you so I don't know, but once you start GPSGate it will run in the background all the time, even when you switch off your pda, unless you do a soft reset, then you have to start it again before the Falk and Travel-iLE can use it.

As far as the shortcuts are concerned they are not, what I've done is program the buttons at the bottom of the pda, which you do by going to the start menu>settings>buttons icon, then select the button you want to use from the list @1 and highlight it by tapping on the icon, then go to 2, below and select the program from the pull down menu, then repeat the proceedure for Travel-iLE. Thats it next time you want to run Falk Nav or Travel-iLE just press the corresponding button and the program will open. You can also record you own .wav files for the warnings for Travel-iLE on the pda then select them in the settings menu. Hope this helps.

Glynne
SpaceCadet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glynne

I too used the keys at the bottom of the PDA as shortcuts & everything seemed to be working OK when my programs suddenly locked up completely, they were there but wouldn't open or remove so I reset the unit!

After reinstalling the software it now ALL works inc the little 'G' that now appears at the bottom of the screen - I've also included my own wav files as instructed - I'm off out now to try it out!

Thanks alot!

Cheers
Rob
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Only just read the last few posts.
Glad to see you have managed to get Travel-i working.

Regards and happy Christmas
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
SpaceCadet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Travel-iLE Problem Reply with quote

Hi All

Yes I managed (with your help) to get it all working only problem I have now is Travel-iLE keeps locking up & I can't stop/end task/remove program seems the only way around it is to reset the PDA & reinstall Travel-i which is a nuisance - Any ideas?

Cheers & Merry Xmas to you All!

Rob
jase777jase
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I would just like to say a big thank-you to both icsys and Glynned for this answer. I got a 6500XL from Lidl yesterday morning and have been searching all day for the answer to this problem. I followed all instructions and have just been "round the block" to test, taking in several locations I knew had cameras, and as it turns out SEVERAL I DID NOT !!!! needless to say, it all works perfectly.

Bravo... this is the best forum I have ever seen

Thanks again

Jase :D :D :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: