Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: lidl new bundle My Guide 6500xl Reply with quote

Sorry if this is old news.... Lidl store chain have a new product release 5th December , a gps integrated Pocket Pc with Falk navigator at £250.
Spec reads; 400mhz pxa 255 proc, 96mb ram/rom ,512mb memory card with pre-installed maps, windows mob 2003 plus usual extras including 256 mb card and ext antenna, Looks a bit like a Mitac / Medion
Worth checking ?
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops!! should be from Monday 6th December.
Shaky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the advert through the post regarding this little deal! On paper looks quite good, comes with more RAM (96MB) and a fatser processor (400MHZ) than the Medion/Mitac 168 deal delivered a few weeks ago.

The only thing I can't figure out yet is what kind of re-branded PDA this is, because it sure doesn't look like a Mitac 168, but I thought Mitac were the only guys to deliver a PDA with integrated GPS so far...

Any suggestions anyone?

Here's a copy of the advert below for anyone who hasn't received it yet:

Full Size Advert

PDA Picture

Text Details

Shaky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this site as a possible contender:

http://www.anubisline.com/english/articlec.asp?id=99550&catid=204

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what hardware it is, but note that it is 64MB RAM. The 96MB mentioned includes the 32MB ROM - a small amount of which may be available as a File Store, but if there is such a non-volatile file store it won't be very big.

David
Icy8008
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
No idea what hardware it is, but note that it is 64MB RAM. The 96MB mentioned includes the 32MB ROM - a small amount of which may be available as a File Store, but if there is such a non-volatile file store it won't be very big.

David

Dear Dvid,

you are wrong on this part. The above mentioned 96 MB memory covers a 32 MB FLASH ROM part, which is additional to the 32 MB ROM part, where the OS is stored. In this 32 MB Flash ROM, the complete Navigation software is already preinstalled, and still has like 12 MB free memory.

Regards

Icy
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David is correct. The Pocket PC has 64mb Memory + 32mb Flash Rom. Out of the 64mb memory, 32mb is available for program memory and 32mb for file storage (just like most Pocket PC's). The extra 32mb Flash Rom is for upgrades (although there are none planned).

The PDA is a Mitac Mio 168, aka Navman PiN 100/300 albeit with different GPS Software installed (Falk Navigator).

I would also suggest that their specs are wrong regarding the 400Mhz processor because AFAIK the Mio 168 doesn't yet come in a 400 Mhz version, only a 300 Mhz (and I have two of these sitting on my desk here). AFAIK there's no new FCC spec for the Mio 168, or equivalent, so perhaps if it is 400 Mhz they're overclocking it to get the extra speed out of it.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and when you click the this link it shows 300 Mhz with 64mb Ram and 32mb ROM Laughing
Icy8008
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
..and when you click the this link it shows 300 Mhz with 64mb Ram and 32mb ROM Laughing

Well maybe its time to out myself ;-)

I am the Senior Product Manager for this particular bundle:

The hardware is "based" on the Mitac 168 platform, yet the specifications HAS been changed:

So instead of the PXA 255 300 MHz, the original Mitac 168 has, this unit features the REAL PXA 255 400 MHz version. NO overclocking.

When it comes to Memory, actually the total memory the PDA has is 128 MB.

This divides into: 32 MB ROM (OS part of Memory). Since this memory is not user accessible, it is not advertised. But the specialty here is the used OS is the NEW Microsoft Mobile 2003 SE (Second Edition) which features for example the landscape support.

32 MB Flash ROM. In this user accessible 32 MB memory, the complete Navigation Software is already preinstalled. NO need to start up a CAB file on SD card or something. This software is multilingual (changeable language settings including the needed Voice Guidance in English, Dutch, French and German)

64 MB SDRAM. The normal memory part as common on PDAs. But the difference here is that for Navigation this memory is not to be used. So ALL memory is still available for DIFFERENT data. No need for the SDRAM part when it comes to Navigation.

The external Antenna is PART of package. So in the scenario of heat shielded frontscreen in car navigation, there comes the possibilty out of the box to choose the sweet reception spot in your car with the external antenna.

The rest is pretty much straigtforward including Carrying case, Anti reflection cover for PDA display, car AND bike holder, USB cradle, 12 V charging cable.

I hope this clears the differences to the MyGuide 3500 mobile, which is given by the link. This is NOT the basis for this package.

Regards

Icy
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly it sounds like an attractive piece of hardware. Is the 32MB flash ROM partition that contains the navigation software in your bundle user readable and writeable, like an iPAQ File Store, or is it a read only partition?

David
Icy8008
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
Certainly it sounds like an attractive piece of hardware. Is the 32MB flash ROM partition that contains the navigation software in your bundle user readable and writeable, like an iPAQ File Store, or is it a read only partition?

David

Hi David,

its readable AND writeable.

Regards

Icy
todgefast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Icy8008

Can you tell us any more about the Falk Navigator software. Navtech maps? Which type of routing software is it based on?

Also, will this package be sold elsewhere, as I know my local Lidl will not stock it!!

Regards

T
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy8008 wrote:
Well maybe its time to out myself ;-)

I am the Senior Product Manager for this particular bundle:

Not that I wish to doubt you in any way, but why is it in an earlier thread you said you purchased Falk Navigator and the other Lidl bundle yourself and this appeared to be the first you had seen of it as you then said you could give some more information since you had just purchased it ?

Icy8008-April 2004 wrote:
...but I wanted to give some more details on the LIDL PDA Navigation set. I bought this set here in Germany yesterday, so I can give some more information:

Icy8008 wrote:
The hardware is "based" on the Mitac 168 platform, yet the specifications HAS been changed:

So if that is the case, why hasn't a it gone through re-classification with the FCC and had a new FCC id created ?

Quote:
When it comes to Memory, actually the total memory the PDA has is 128 MB.

If you are who you say you are, drop me an email from your company email address (and not your hotmail account) and I'll have this followed up by our contacts at Mitac to confirm. I'd also like you to send me a few screenshots of memory utilisation.
bomberb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a newbie to this but this deal has really caught my interest.

Has ICY8008 verified his credentials, meaning all his comments are correct, and is this really the GREAT deal that it appears to be ?
kevwright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance, but if one hated the inbuilt software, can you put TomTom or Co-Pilot or whatever on there?

If so, which one(s) recognise the built in GPS receiver part?

Kev

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: