Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Leadtek 9534 vs Holux GM-270 Ultra
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Leadtek 9534 vs Holux GM-270 Ultra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dibun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Leadtek 9534 vs Holux GM-270 Ultra Reply with quote

Any comments which one is the best CF gps receiver?

Dibun.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that GM-270 Ultra is XTrac - which may or may not be wanted. I've no idea whether Holux are shipping XTrac 1 or XTrac 2 firmware. The ordinary GM-270 is ordinary SiRF firmware.

I'm very happy with my Haicom HI-303MMF (ordinary SiRF firmware) - though they can be rather awkward to get in the UK these days. It's far more common to see the HI-303E or HI-303S - the former being an Evermore chipset and the latter SiRF XTrac.

Not only can you angle the antenna for optimum reception and fold it away when not in use, but you have the option of using the GPS with a cable or with a Bluetooth add-on.

Finally, be aware that there is a CompactFlash GPS available with built in memory of up to 512MBytes from SysOnChip. globalpositioningsystems.co.uk sell them - other retailers probably do as well.

David
dibun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it comes with XTrac 2 firmware. My primary use will be in car and maybe walking or hiking. I heard the the GM-270 Ultra version has a lag while driving. The problem is I am buying it from ebay and the only CF gps I found is Holux GM-270 Ultra, Leadtek 9534 and Globalsat BC-307. I guess Globalsat BC-307 comes with a old chipset SIRF star II/LP not SIRF star IIe/LP which the other two comes with. So in your opinion from out of these three which one will be the best one on 5450 ipaq. So other than SysOnChip which other manf. has memory inbuilt?

Thx in advance.
dibun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I disable XTrac if I want? It seems than the ultra version only supports NMEA 4800 not the NMEA/SiRF Binary is that goodor bad?

http://www.holux.com.tw/Temp%20web/GM-270/comparison.htm
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't disable XTrac if the device you buy runs XTrac firmware. There is a switchable Bluetooth device - the Fortuna Clip On. Mine has the firmware versions in my signature - a recent non-XTrac firmware in ST mode and XTrac II in XT mode.

XTrac II can operate in both NMEA and SiRF binary mode - I had to switch my Fortuna to SiRF binary mode to get hold of the firmware version easily with the tools I had to hand.

My experience is that XTrac II is fine in-car; I only bought the Clip On last week, but I've not noticed any in-car lag in XT mode. I never tried the original XTrac firmware in car, though many people reported a lag. However, there are some reports of XTrac II behaving oddly when used at low speed - for example, when walking.

I haven't yet had a chance to try the Clip On at low speeds, and I don't own any topographic software anyway (being a wheelchair user these days, I have little reason for it other than pure interest).

If you are considering potential walking and hiking use, I would suggest considering a Bluetooth GPS for various reasons.

A Bluetooth GPS has a built in battery, which means that you're not draining the PDA's battery to power the GPS hardware. It can be easier to ruggedise a Bluetooth based setup - you haven't got a fragile antenna sticking up out of your PDA, which means that products like Otterboxes fit properly, also you can put the GPS somewhere with a good view of the sky and keep the PDA inside your jacket when you're not using it.

For in-car use, I've stuck the magnet that was in the Fortuna's box on top of my Brodit ProClip (though I removed the Fortuna sticky pad and replaced it with some high strength pads of my own that fixed it more firmly) and I wired in a suitable car charger to my phone wiring loom behind my dashboard. This way, my GPS and Pocket PC have power at all times 'in car'.

If you buy from eBay, you have to accept that there may be minimal or no support from the vendor if you hit problems.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: