Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 3 Help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 3 Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chunk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: TomTom 3 Help Reply with quote

Im thinking about purchasing TomTom 3 but unsure on how to install the software/maps on to my PDA and use it with my current sd card.

I have a 256 mb sd card already, but the card has 'falk' software pre installed on to it. Does this card have to be cleared first? can I use the card for TomTom? is TomTom pre loaded on a SD card like the 'Falk'? Is the TomTom software/Maps etc on a rom that has to be loaded on to the pda? Basically how does it work?

please help

chunk
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pocket PC version of TomTom Navigator doesn't require a blank SD card, nor is it supplied on a memory card.

You need to copy the map or maps you wish to use somewhere onto your Pocket PC. A storage card that's already in use but has enough free space is fine.

Following the receipt of some new kit last week, I have a 1GB SD card in an iPAQ hx4700 - I wouldn't want to dedicate the 1GB card to maps as I don't have that many!

Please set the location in your profile - had you done so, I may have been able to give you some idea of the map size for your country.

David
Chunk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
The Pocket PC version of TomTom Navigator doesn't require a blank SD card, nor is it supplied on a memory card.

You need to copy the map or maps you wish to use somewhere onto your Pocket PC. A storage card that's already in use but has enough free space is fine.

Following the receipt of some new kit last week, I have a 1GB SD card in an iPAQ hx4700 - I wouldn't want to dedicate the 1GB card to maps as I don't have that many!

Please set the location in your profile - had you done so, I may have been able to give you some idea of the map size for your country.

David

thankyou!

does an sd card simply act as extra ram for the unit? and what size do you recommend? last question; i only need maps for britain, is their a version of TomTom that you can reccomened
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reply, other than the bit about buying memory cards, assumes you have a Pocket PC - you haven't said for sure.

The full UK map is 105MB. You want TomTom Navigator 3 Great Britain - as software only (for around 100 pounds) if you already have a GPS, otherwise it may be best to buy a bundle with a GPS as you're likely to get both items cheaper. So far as I can tell, the Falk software you refer to is Pocket PC navigation software, so you've probably already got a GPS.

The storage card doesn't really act as extra RAM - not least as it's removeable without erasing. It appears as a separate folder in the root of your machine - often called something like "Storage Card" or "SD Card".

Memory card brands - avoid Sandisk and anything that might be rebadged Sandisk. I'd also buy at least 256MB these days; 512MB has also got quite affordable.

If you're in the UK, I'd get in touch with ValueFlash at support@valueflash.co.uk and ask which of their SD cards they'd recommend in the size you're after for a Pocket PC running TomTom Navigator 3. Rob, who is most likely to respond, is well aware of how TomTom Navigator 3 punishes memory cards and should be able to advise. He's unlikely to recommend the cheapest card in their range, but that's for a reason.

I'm currently testing the Integral "High Speed" 1GB SD card for Rob - that is, I've bought it from him at full price, I've shared test results with him, and he's agreed to take it back for a refund if I hit trouble. So far, I've had some strange benchmark results, but it's looking OK in operation.

The advice with SD cards used to be "buy Japanese". Any cards made in Japan are probably made by Toshiba or Panasonic, both of which are excellent. However, there seems to be some new non-Japanese manufacturers in the market who are also producing good cards.

Most brands simply buy and relabel cards from one of the manufacturers; there's rather more brands than manufacturers when it comes to memory cards. For SD cards, this includes some of the major brands - most notably Lexar, who, at times, have variously rebadged Toshiba (good) and Sandisk (garbage).

If in doubt, order a "high speed" card, as they tend to be of better quality and, of course, avoid Sandisk. That said, there's no absolute guarantee, hence my suggestion to contact ValueFlash first.

David
Chunk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D thanks once again for your time and reply :D

ive been looking around the forum for answers and came across a comment:

'Installed TT3 Nav and activated the program'

I know I said last question Embarassed but what is the 'activated' part about, I thought you could just load the software on and your ready to go? could you explain please
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no problem asking sensible questions.

TomTom Navigator uses Product Activation to stop piracy. When you buy Navigator, there's a code in the box. When you first install it, the installer will ask you for that code, then it will go to the TomTom activation server on the Internet with that code and a device code for your individual Pocket PC to get an activation code that allows Navigator to work.

Amongst other things, this stops people "sharing" product codes - which is, of course, illegal. You can use your product code once, then you have to wait seven days before you can use it again against another device code. Once you've used it a second time, you have to wait 180 days after activating a new device before you can use your product code to activate another new device.

For example, I upgraded to TomTom Navigator 3 some time ago. I used my Navigator 3 product code to activate my iPAQ h3970. The seven days of waiting to use the product code again elapsed many months ago. Last week, I bought a new iPAQ hx4700 and activated TomTom Navigator 3 on it. I'll have to wait about another 175 days before I can activate a third Pocket PC with my product code.

You can reactivate devices that you've activated with your product code at any time. TomTom will make exceptions to this policy if you can prove your device was replaced for reasons outside your control - for example, a warranty exchange, or a repair that involved the device code of your Pocket PC changing.

The licence agreement restricts what you can do with your copy of TomTom Navigator - as do all licence agreements. The Product Activation system helps to protect TomTom's revenue, which, in turn, hopefully ensures that we continue to get fairly cheap upgrades to the next version.

David
Chunk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: