Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom information
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom information Reply with quote

Hi all,

I currently own a Garmin Sp3. I'm in the process of changing to Tom Tom. I've read all the reviews and seen the wired one in action.

I still have a few questions I'm hoping some Tom Tom owners on this forum can help me with.

1. I still can't choose between wired or Bluetooth. How reliable is the bluetooth connection?

2. I have an external antenna for my Garmin. I need it for the reflective windscreen in my car. Is there something simlar for Tom Tom. How has anyone else solved this with Tom Tom?

3. What is Tom Tom traffic like? is it worth the money? This is the main reason I am changing from my SP3.

4. How reliable is the software? does it hang regularly? Will I need to reset my PDA all the time?

Thanks in advance for your help

Chris
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom information Reply with quote

Quote:
1. I still can't choose between wired or Bluetooth. How reliable is the bluetooth connection?

Thats down to personal choice., I have 1 bluetooth receiver (Rikaline 6030, same as the Leadtek one) and 3 Compact Flash receivers. My personal preference is my new Xtrac 2 enabled SysOn Chip Plus 2, as its less hassle (with it being constantly plugged into my iPAQ) the bluetooth connections very occasionally drop out, and my bluetooth receiver used to slide accross the dashboard until i secured it with some adhesive magnetic strips. I also could never be bothered charging the bluetooth one so it rarely had much life in it. My dad uses a TomTom bluetooth receiver quite happily. It sits in the boot, underneath the cargo cover, and constantly plugged into the boots 12v socket.

Quote:
2. I have an external antenna for my Garmin. I need it for the reflective windscreen in my car. Is there something simlar for Tom Tom. How has anyone else solved this with Tom Tom?

The advantage of the bluetooth receiver is you can place it anywhere in the car, eg the boot Wink You can buy external antennas for CF cards and also re-radiating antennas, theres some in the reviews section I think.

Quote:
3. What is Tom Tom traffic like? is it worth the money? This is the main reason I am changing from my SP3.

Not much experience of that as I used it once during the free trial then uninstalled it.

Quote:
4. How reliable is the software? does it hang regularly? Will I need to reset my PDA all the time?

I'm using the 3.07 update package on my 2210 and it never hangs and I've never been forced to reset the device. Software is quite reliable, its never once failed to get me to a destination (although it has on the odd occasion taken me down some dodgy farm tracks and the odd dead end, but thats very rare indeed!
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks!! Reply with quote

Thanks Wilko,

That's been really uesful. :D

I'm particularly interested in placing a BT receiver in the boot.

How good is the connection through the Cargo cover?

Thanks again.

Chris
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has it in a Volvo XC90. There's a ledge with a 12v power supply socket next to it, just under the cargo cover, so its hidden from view secured by its magnetic ssdhesive pad, and at the same time close to the big windows (which are the privacy glass ones) so theres no chance of it catching a thieves eye. Bluetooth signal isn't a problem.

Best to make sure the receiver has line of sight of enough of the sky if you plan on placing it in the boot out of the way.
MrSpock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought TT3 BT setup all in obe box and it works perfectly. Infact, the BT is rock solid reliable and even works through the window of my bedroom. I also had similar concerns aboout the reloiability of bluetooth GPS but with my 4150 ipaq have found it to be rock solid reliable. :D

I drive an Audi A4 Avant and it does not matter where I place the GPS receiver it works fine. It even works on the passenger seat.
Steve
MarkRD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I use TTN3 with both a wired Garmin GPSII+ and with a Fortuna Bluetooth. I have a Jaguar X-type estate with heated front screen. This does interfere with GPS reception to the extent that neither the GPSII+ or Fortuna in normal mode work entirely reliably on their own. I have several satisfactory solutions:

The GPSII+ works fine on the dashboard when connected to a Garmin accessory aerial attached inside to the screen at the edge where the heating elements don't reach.

Switching the Fortuna to XTrac mode works fine aon the dashboard although perhaps with a slight delay in position at high speed.

Placing the Fortuna in normal mode on top of or beneath the boot luggage cover (connected to the boot 12v supply to charge) works fine although I feel a little reluctant to keep it permanently powered up and it is an inconvenient position to switch on and off.

The Fortuna in normal mode works fine on the dashboard when connected to the Garmin accessory aerial via a Garmin MCX connector.

This is now the solution I generally use as it is minimally obtrusive and I can quickly switch off and put away the GPS when I don't need it for security. I can also easily keep it charged from the car.

The Bluetooth connection once made is quite reliable as is TTN3, and I don't have to do resets very often as long as I remember to close TTN3 and then the Bluetooth connection before switching off. However switching the Ipaq Bluetooth transmitter on and making the Bluetooth pairing each time before running TTN3 takes a little longer than just switching on the wired Garmin. I haven't suceded in getting the setup to re-pair automatically.

Mark
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark

That's really helpful!!

I have the Garmin external antenna (with an MCX adaptor for my 76S) at the moment and I swear by it!!!

If this will work with the TT blutetooth receiver then I'll get it ordered.

It says it has a "MC Female" connection - is this the same thing?

Also I intend to use TT Traffic as well - Can your PDA still connect to your phone using Bluetooth whilst using the receiver at the same time? (I have a HP IPAQ 4300)

Thanks again,

Chris
MarkRD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

As it is a Fortuna Bluetooth that I have, and not a TT Bluetooth, I can not absolutely confirm that the Garmin MCX lead fits the TT, but I know it fits a range of Bluetooth's so I imagine it does.

As far as TT traffic and the mobile phone is concerned, in theory that should work but I haven't tried it. I have been put off by all the adverse comment about the accuracy and timliness of the TT traffic data. I use a separate inexpensive Trafficmaster receiver to give me better traffic information, and then if necessary manually reroute using the "road block" or "avoid road" options within TTN3. The Ipaq should manage 2 different bluetooth connections to different categories of device. At present most mobile phones however will only support a single bluetooth connection and so this is a problem if you use a bluetooth handsfree kit.

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: