Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - More info on the V314 / v390 map debate from Tom Tom TechSup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

More info on the V314 / v390 map debate from Tom Tom TechSup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As TomTom are now selling TTG maps on an SD card separately (at 149 euros) I am enquiring which map is being shipped on the SD card. I will report back....
TomK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keeps getting more and more interesting...

How do you find out what version is on the CD. I'd like to look and see what is in mine.

Any advice please

TomK
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomK wrote:
Just keeps getting more and more interesting...

How do you find out what version is on the CD. I'd like to look and see what is in mine.

Any advice please

TomK
Just search on the CD for a file called Great_Britain.ini. Open it and look for a line like this:

; toolchain version 390

This is apparently the map version number.
ZZBeard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Map version on CD Reply with quote

In you're using a Windows PC, browse the CD (in other words choose the "Explore" option when you right-click on the CD-ROM drive icon in My Computer) - if it auto runs, choose the TomTom menu "Quit" > "tick" option first.

Find the folder called nvuk\MAP\GB. In that folder is a file called Great_Britain.INI

Double-click that file - it should open in Notepad - and look at the third and fourth line down:

Component = Map
; toolchain version 390

This entry seems to correspond with the map version displayed in the TomTomGo's "About" screen.

David
TomK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D

Thanks ZUKE & ZZBeard mission accomplished

Clap

Now that I've established that I have 390 on the CD and 314 on the SD card... How do I get 390 onto the SD card Question

TomK
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingernut, please butt out and mind your own business, you have posted 3 posts on this whole forum 1 is a smart comment about your Reliant Robin when the poster was asking about his Porsche, now that is what i call off topic, your other two are butting in on something that does not concern you, tell me are you delboy under another vision?.
ZZBeard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: 314 > 390 Reply with quote

This is not quite as straightforward as one would like. If possible, back up the whole SD card to your PC somewhere first.

Unfortunately, the 390 map folder that the CD installs is called Great_Britain-Map, but the map folder on the 314 card is called Great-Britain-Map.

So unless you have a large SD card, you will have to get the CD to uninstall your 314 GB map first - a not-unreasonable step - which will leave behind your favourites and home location data still in the folder called Great-Britain-Map. Then you ask the CD to install the GB map again, and it puts it all into a new folder that is called Great_Britain-Map.

When you have done this, and re-started the TTG, it will find the new map, but it probably won't have been registered, so TTG will tell you to go to the ttcode registration web site and type in the product code number on the back of the CD sleeve, and the device code of the TTG itself, which is also given in the About TomTom GO screen. You are then given another map validation code which the TTG waits for you to input. Finally the new map is ready to use...

But - your favourites and home data are still in the old folder, so what you do is copy the Great-Britain-Map.ini file from the old folder to the new one that has all the new map data in it, via the USB link and Windows Explorer.

Then - you have to delete the existing new Great_Britain-Map.ini file and RENAME the file you copied in, from Great-Britain-Map.ini to Great_Britain-Map.ini

Fun - innit!

Then - it should all work.

David
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad At least you guys have got it on your CDs, unlike most of us (sulk).
freeentry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a CD with V314, and would like to know the differences between the two GB map versions v314 and v390.

I would be more than willing to test the "new" version to see what differences I can find.

Can anyone with a CD containing v390 place the GB image somewhere where others could access them ?

Thanks,
TTG MapReader
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeentry wrote:

Can anyone with a CD containing v390 place the GB image somewhere where others could access them ?

Your desire to find out the differences between 314 and 390 is appreciated, however please do not use this forum for the coordination of illegal activities.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OZ wrote:
Gingernut, please butt out and mind your own business, you have posted 3 posts on this whole forum 1 is a smart comment about your Reliant Robin when the poster was asking about his Porsche, now that is what i call off topic, your other two are butting in on something that does not concern you, tell me are you delboy under another vision?.

OZ, Your one SAD dude.

Reported to Moderator. Who do you think you are. I HAVE AN OPINION as well as YOU.

Tim BUXTON,

I THOUGHT THIS WAS BEING MONITORED, I DON'T EXPECT THIS FROM ANYONE.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you two (Oz and Gingernut) please take your fight elsewhere. You are entitled to your free opinion, no matter if founded or not, but please stop calling each other names. We need people answering questions, not waving fists.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Would you two (Oz and Gingernut) please take your fight elsewhere. You are entitled to your free opinion, no matter if founded or not, but please stop calling each other names. We need people answering questions, not waving fists.

lbendlin

I HAVE NOT STARTED THIS.

i have reported OZ to the moderator TIM BUXTON.

SO DON'T GET AT ME
TomK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ZZBeard I'll give it a trial. one question though regarding your instructions.

If you move the old .ini file in and replace the new one with this will you not lose the map version number in the new .ini file?

Thanks again

TomK
tonyfinn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...just change the tool chain number to to 390... that way you can kid yourself in to believing that you have the latest version! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: