Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - avoiding peages in france
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

avoiding peages in france

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesnail
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: avoiding peages in france Reply with quote

Can anbody help I have just had TT and will be going to France next month the question is how do I stop it taking me on to the peages?

I understand I can set the motorway speed down but can i get the system to differentiate between toll roads and non toll motorways

Bryan

Sad
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is simple, just plan a route avoiding tolls using viamichelin and copy it onto TT3 using Itinerary. Excellent results, just be careful to put the drive-bys on the correct side of the dual carriageways. You can save and load itineraries by keeping thestylus on the itinerary page

Regards,

Steve[/url]
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, on ViaMichelin, the "avoid tolls" is on the Driving Directions tab..... Laughing
arturus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree with Steves answer and also the speed lowering on autoroutes and international roads. What you will have to watch is that TT can take you down some really small backroads, some no better than tracks. Also over at Gpspassion they have a TT overlay showing the peage points on the autoroutes. This is quite interesting as it can be a help in getting on and off at the right places if you decide to leave the autoroutes available.
Regards
Brian
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've just had 2 months in France & Italy touring extensively in my motorhome using TT3 and in the case of France, studiously avoiding using toll autoroutes.

In the course of this, I tried a number of methods of routeplanning with TT3 and would offer the following for consideration by anybody going over there and wishing to do the same.

1. Routeplanning by lowering the speed setting for autoroutes - takes an age to calculate a route and not really practical if any replanning needs to be done 'on the fly' as you can have covered 20 miles while the software is churning through.

2. Routeplanning by itinerary setting - this can be effective but the road system in France is so extensive and subject to more frequent changes than over here, that 'on the fly' rerouting still regularly takes place.

3. Plan the 'fastest' route as normal. This will usually incorporate the use of autoroutes. On commencing the journey with a GPS position fixed, check the 'Alternative Routes' facility - I set up a hardware button to do this simply. If na autoroute shows on the next screen (with a red cross through), then select it. A rapid reroute calculation will then follow taking you away from that autoroute. All that is required as you make progress through the country is regular checking of the 'Alternative Routes' button and clear any autouroutes from here as they show - usually after entering onto a new major 'N' or 'D' road. I found this method to work very well and efficiently and the alternative routes selected were usually those which would have been chosen in a self select itinerary.

My future trips in France will now involve the use of method (3) for mile munching and method (2) for touring between desired locations.

As a tourist, Tomtom took me on some fabulous routes with good roads that I guess most people would not have chosen on glancing at a paper map. However, be aware that in Southern France or rural Italy, some very minor roads are selected and discretion (as ever) should be exercised before turning into them. Armed with this knowledge though, simple adjustments are easily made.

In general - great product which was a huge boon to our touring, either locally or for high speed cross country mile munching.

Showed TT3 to a nice Aussie guy in Florence who immediately went to the local Carrefour and bought a full GPS/PDA kit! - and it worked (well not straight away!).

Finally - if you use BT with a 2210, go for CF, even in preference to a Panasonic SD card. Driving in and out of the many succesive tunnels over there really tested the system and CF came out on top as totally rock solid.

Steve.
Nissan Connect
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with a lot that you have said, but some autoroutes (motorways?)in France are not tolls, and although busy get you from A to B faster.

Also, My SD card on my 2210 is faster than my CF card, even though the CF card is rated faster, and because of the size ofthe Data for France you really need a fast card.

Steve W.
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yeah, understand that. Was just speaking generally in respect of avoiding toll roads. If you want to use a toll free autoroute, then just use it and don't select the 'avoid' function - the choice is yours. I am aware of the toll free sections in France and occasionally use them if in a hurry. For those who are not aware of them, on Michelin maps (and I guess some others), the distances are marked in blue rather than red on yellow.

In respect of the card issue, a fast SD card is of no use if you get a freeze or lockup and (disappointingly) this happened to my Panasonic when going in and out of the tunnels in Liguria - propbably as stressful a situation for it as could be envisaged. My perfectly ordinary Kingston CF cards coped faultlessly under the same circumstances and were perfectly fast enough enough for the large data of France. In two months using BT, TT3 did not lock or freeze once using CF.

Incidentally, you can presently buy a Kingston 256mb CF from ebuyer for about £15 inc postage - reaching bargain status.

Steve
Nissan Connect

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: