Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Move From TomTom Go1005 to Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LMT-D
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Move From TomTom Go1005 to Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LMT-D
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

Only sussamb has never had it. Shocked

I have but not often enough to worry me. I also find that what might initially appears strange can be beneficial, but then I enjoy driving so tend to prefer country lanes to multilane highways Wink
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the advice on pro's and cons of owning a Garmin

Like all things it is always a matter of preferences.

The Garmin's choice of routes may cause the odd issue when towing a trailer in a unfamiliar city environment, but I assume I can set a route via a route planner and upload it or mark on the Garmin map what routes I prefer.

Other times it will not matter.

Traffic wise, well TomTom is excellent - when it works, but when a major snarl up occurs it can have a hissy fit and may not want to play: either failing to connect or the eternal revolving circle
GO 920 Dead
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick_1959

I can't help you on the last two questions you ask as I've never owned a Tom Tom but as you'll have seen already, the PGPSW database works a treat with the Garmin range and you can customise the voice, notification time before the camera and icons and update weekly with relative ease thanks to members of this forum and other sites / individual users such as TURBOCCC who has a number of useful programs (although some are no longer current).

The map colours can be altered fairly easily too if you want to take the time to find the programs that help with this (see above comment). Garmin will also allow you to choose from a number (around 12 European countries from memory (plus Garmin's and Navigon's own)) map types which are sometimes handy when travelling in Europe and cross-checking against the ancient paper maps!

There are the odd occasional strange routes but many of these are, I suspect, down to the average speeds allocated on mapping database. The Sat Nav will 'think' it can save valuable seconds as a map database programmer in a remote office has unrealistically assumed the road can be driven at, and speeds maintained, by a F1 driver driving at 2am with no other road traffic.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photobucket no longer allows 3rd party posting of images unless the user is prepared to pay something like $400/yr!!!
jaybea_0989375
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just made the move from a Go1005 to Garmin DriveLuxe 61 LMT-D, and I can reiterate what has been said in the rest of the comments.

I found that I could export my Favourites from the Go1005 (the same community content link as the Speed Cams), and after converting from OV2 to GPX, I could import them as custom POIs to the Garmin, and then add them to Favourites.

The Speed Cameras appear to work fine (I just use tones rather than spoken warnings). I do miss the spoken warnings that the TomTom would provide for other POIs, as I had it set up to warn about Motorway Services 3 miles ahead, and it would announce it "Motorway Services in 3 miles, next opportunity in XX miles". 3 miles is enough time for the kids to decide they want the toilet before we get to the exit, and not as we go past it!

After a lot of messing around converting the motorway services CSV to GPX, importing to Basecamp, adding 4.8km to the Proximity field for all the Motorway Services POIs, exporting as GPX then then transferring to the Garmin, I get tone warnings, but I would have to record a custom voice notification if I wanted one.

I have not driven with the Garmin enough to compare yet (the tests have been done simulating routes: down to Cornwall next week for a proper test), but the large screen is great, as I don't have to squint to read it![/b]
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybea_0989375 wrote:
down to Cornwall next week for a proper test

Cornwall should give you an excellent demonstration of the Garmin's preference for narrow country roads.

I was there last week and found the Garmin routing very frustrating. I had to put in multiple via points to get it to choose roads of a reasonable size. I enjoy driving but do not enjoy very narrow single track roads with overhanging hedges and tight bends with no visibility.

After I added the via points to move the route onto larger roads the Garmin's predicted journey time actually reduced so it was obviously not selecting the fastest route originally.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Kremmen wrote:
Why can't you post screenshots ?
Why would you want to? Don't we believe him?

@cottonsox. You have to upload the shots to the likes of photobucket and then post a link to them. You cannot loads pics directly onto the forum. (but we do believe you.) Most everyone has come across strange routeing at some time or another and know exactly what you mean. Very Happy
Only sussamb has never had it. Shocked

Not Photobucket you won't. They have barred linking. Imgur is the way to go.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
jaybea_0989375
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
I enjoy driving but do not enjoy very narrow single track roads with overhanging hedges and tight bends with no visibility.

I learnt to drive there (and in London, where I took my test), and they are quite challenging, particularly in summer when there is more traffic and more chances of surprises coming the other way! I know most of the smaller roads we will travel on, so it will be interesting to see what the routing choices are compared to the TomTom. Perhaps I should take both for a side-by-side comparison!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Photobucket no longer allows 3rd party posting of images unless the user is prepared to pay something like $400/yr!!!
I did say "or similar". Photobucket is the only name that sprung instantly to mind.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybea_0989375 wrote:
it will be interesting to see what the routing choices are compared to the TomTom. Perhaps I should take both for a side-by-side comparison!
Yes, that would be interesting.

By experimentation I have observed the following:

When you select the fastest route, both Garmin and TomTom seem to include some logic which avoids travelling a lot further to save a small amount of time. This seems very sensible as few people would want to add many miles to a journey to save a few minutes.

However, the Garmin seems to put much more emphasis on reducing distance than the TomTom and therefore takes smaller "shortcut" roads more often.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are definitely some interesting comparisons to consider.

One difference commented on is Garmins warning when approaching 3rd party custom POI's / speed cameras.

Have I understood correctly that you cannot have custom voices, but only tones/bongs?
GO 920 Dead
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameras do have spoken voices if you download them from here - and follow the instructions to the letter.

Other POI's I would think could possibly be done if you have a suitable wav file. Not tried it though.

Garmin is certainly more flexible regarding POi's than TT.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Last edited by Kremmen on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 wrote:
Have I understood correctly that you cannot have custom voices, but only tones/bongs?
The standard firmware only issues bongs. If you associate the CSV, BMP, WAV files and use POILoader, you can have custom icons and voice alerts.
WRT PGPSW speedcams, if you use Kremmen's super CSV to GPX converter, you can do all sorts of good things with them.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation

I have a customer and project POI's with custom warnings I used on my TomTom, which now with a bit of patience and magic dust I can convert to Garmin
GO 920 Dead
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need CSV, BMP and WAV files with exactly the same name apart from the extension. There may be a different combination that I don't know about.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: