Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic in the UK and USA, status in 2016?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic in the UK and USA, status in 2016?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasbelin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: TomTom Traffic in the UK and USA, status in 2016? Reply with quote

I have been using my TomTom ONE XL for 10 years now. It now has a 4 GB SD (non standard) card and the map of Europe. It all started with Western Europe, then bought Eastern Europe and at last realised it's stupid not to buy Europe as my trips otherwise ended at the Iron Curtain, if routing any further than the edge of the map. I might be able to fit in the USA + Canada map on the card, but I would still be without traffic information.

So I have been looking at buying a GO 610 or 6100, as that would solve my mapping issues, plus I would get traffic updates (with GO 610 I need to solve the connectivity somehow). In terms of map coverage, TomTom, HERE and Google can get me what I want, but I'd be more comfortable trusting a dedicated device for operational stability.

What's the current situation, now, in 2016 with TomTom Traffic in the UK and USA in terms of how reliable the traffic information is, are the updates (both adding and removing incidents) fast enough and would you recommend TomTom Traffic to me? Or would some Android navigation app with traffic update support be better? Furthermore: does it cover anything else than Interstates and British motorways good enough right now?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 6100 I have a suspicion that traffic will only work in the region you buy the satnav, so it'll be only UK/Europe, not them and also USA. I find the Traffic is better these days, although I'm not sufficiently confident in it to blindly accept whatever it says.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, what's the horizon these days Dennis. I haven't seen any posts about it recently.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, perhaps still 50 miles/80km. It's certainly never recovered to entire journey as I regularly prove to myself comparing traffic reports on Radio 5 Live with traffic bar. Not long ago I got a traffic problem very late at night, too late to do anything other than follow the signed diversion - with better advance warning (planned night-time motorway closure, not accident) I could have found a better bypass route.

We've all given up complaining about it - like relieving oneself into the wind. Evil or Very Mad

Rasbelin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
On the 6100 I have a suspicion that traffic will only work in the region you buy the satnav, so it'll be only UK/Europe, not them and also USA.

At least the TomTom website talks about lifetime traffic updates for the whole World, as the device comes with access to all maps. That's why I'm asking, because the premium is hefty. If it works, then I can consider it. But if not, I won't be able to get my money back for the crap.

DennisN wrote:
I'm not sure, perhaps still 50 miles/80km.

Jeez... Still that limited. Confused Wasn't that 50 miles/80 km introduced something like 2010 already? Still, it sucks badly on long crosscountry journeys, when you have to look for information elsewhere to determine which route to take. OTOH, not many options to keep yourself updated while on the road, if one doesn't fancy the radio.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the latest with the running down of the 2G networks? I've already binned one device that stopped working around London, though fine on the odd occasion I went more rural.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasbelin wrote:
Jeez... Still that limited. Confused Wasn't that 50 miles/80 km introduced something like 2010 already?
That's why I asked the expert.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Does anyone know the latest with the running down of the 2G networks? I've already binned one device that stopped working around London, though fine on the odd occasion I went more rural.

My GO520 works OK in London - with the proviso that it sometimes loses satellite lock, getting deflected signals so that it thinks I'm a road or two away and starts telling me how to get back to the correct road (which I'm already on!). But this happens with ALL my devices occasionally - running three side by side gives me the hope that at least one will stick to the proper road (and that's what I get). I'm going to Oxford Street tomorrow morning and I expect one will lose the plot.

I don't know how many Gs my 6100 and my built in Renault rubbish TomTom thing have got.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Rasbelin wrote:
Jeez... Still that limited. Confused Wasn't that 50 miles/80 km introduced something like 2010 already?
That's why I asked the expert.

I'm sorry, I'll try and make a note tomorrow (if there's anything to see). Today, coming back from Birmingham they didn't tell me about the closure of southbound M5 at Junction 5 accident, which I had already witnessed as I went northbound. Traffic still has some way to go to become really reliable. Confused

Rasbelin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there's no obvious indication for, if the SIM works worldwide, I'm quite sure I just grab a Go 610 World and see how far I can manage with it. I still have my ONE XL Europe, with which I just returned from Jersey. Worked flawlessly like ever before. Smile Will be interesting to see, if I can cope with a more modern TomTom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: