Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP5 Quick start
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP5 Quick start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lexuscol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: CP5 Quick start Reply with quote

Hi can someone explain in more detail the quickstart side of things. I am a total novice with pocket pc systems.
I purchased cp5 last week haven't been able to get it going yet. (A whole new issue)
My question is I put the sd card in my 2210 and the co pilot installs goes off to register and gains authorisation codes. Do i then have to go to active sinc or is all the mapping on the SD card that came with co pilot?. do I have to buy extra storage cards to download the maps to after I have installed the quick start program files? excuse me for seeming thick but not being able to get this nav system to run makes me think I am missing something? Sad Sad
AOD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, all will be revealed.

The quickstart card gives you two things:

1. Map data for a specific region preloaded.
2. The ability to install CoPilot 5 directly from the card.

The desktop software is used where you want to download custom map areas, personally I would download these to a fresh card.

For example in my case, as the desktop installation process doesn't work for me (using W98SE), the quickstart card was the only way I could get everything to work.

The easiest way to activate your software is to go through the activation screens on your PPC while it is conncted to your PC via Activesync. (and the PC has a connection to the Internet).

In your case, I would:

Install CP5 from the SD card (which it sounds as though you've already done). If you haven't, do the following with the SD card inserted:
Go to Today, Start, Programs, File Explorer. When File Explorer starts, make sure it says "My Device" at the top with an arrow next to it. If not, tap the arrow and choose "My Device". The tap on the folder "SD card", then the folder "2577". Now tap on Autorun and it will install.

Connect your PPC via Activesync and check you can access a website in Pocket Internet Explorer (this is just to check the connectivity).

Launch CP5 on your PPC (you'll find it in Programs) and go through the license activation process. Once it completes it will ask you to choose the region you want access to. You can only choose one, after you do all the other regions are locked.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have purchased the QuickStart version this will come pre-installed to SD card with UK maps. All you do is insert into Pocket PC, let it go through the setup process of installing to main memory the program and that's it.

You then run CoPilot in START | PROGRAMS | COPILOT. You will not need to install any maps unless you want something other than UK (and you need to make sure you have purchased a Europe upgrade license for this).
lexuscol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks AOD and Dave, 1 further question please.
When I do eventually get cp5 to work, regarding european maps after having bought the license am I right in thinking then that these will have to be installed to additional sd cards? If so when installing the maps does cp put another copy of cp5 on each individual card and do i have to have a card for each separate country in europe. Can i say put for example fr/bel/holl on one card providing the card was large enough, would the maps become seemless or do you have to select each country as you approach? sorry to be long winded and I hope this makes sense to you. The only nav I have used before was the magellan roadmate which was effortless to use.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexuscol wrote:
Many thanks AOD and Dave, 1 further question please.
When I do eventually get cp5 to work, regarding european maps after having bought the license am I right in thinking then that these will have to be installed to additional sd cards?

If you want the entire Europe or a good size of Europe then you will have to purchase a large SD card, prob in region of 512mb or 1gb. If you haven't actually purchased the European license yet, hold off because ALK will have a European bundle on SD card, I'm not sure if it'll be an upgrade version, or a full version.

lexuscol wrote:
If so when installing the maps does cp put another copy of cp5 on each individual card and do i have to have a card for each separate country in europe. Can i say put for example fr/bel/holl on one card providing the card was large enough, would the maps become seemless or do you have to select each country as you approach? sorry to be long winded and I hope this makes sense to you.

It's not something I have tried as I only have the UK version, but in theory providing EVERYTHING is installed to main memory then you could just install the maps to the SD card, and then before running CPL5, just put the relevant SD card in and it should detect the maps you have there. However, saying that it would be better to have everything on one SD card.
AOD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

It's not something I have tried as I only have the UK version, but in theory providing EVERYTHING is installed to main memory then you could just install the maps to the SD card, and then before running CPL5, just put the relevant SD card in and it should detect the maps you have there. However, saying that it would be better to have everything on one SD card.

I have. :D

We have the UK quickstart SD card and another card on which ALK downloaded a portion of the US maps (we also purchased the US expansion pack) for us.

Our CP5 is installed to main memory and we just had to change the SD card for the one with the US maps and it worked without issue.

ALK apparently have plans for a 1GB card for the US maps also.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1GB QuickStart SD cards for US and Europe will be available within a month (hopefully).
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, ref my post in beginners. If I get the QS CP5 pack (can you do that?) can I copy the QS SD to a larger CF card and run it from there? Its not clear from the various options at GPS.co.uk which is which. One comes with Blue GPS, card and software for instance.

I guess I would like the CD for my PC and the QS card which I can copy to a more reliable CF card for my 2210 running bluetooth. Am I nuts or is there a simple way of doing this?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copying to another storage card should work okay as there's no locking to Storage Card.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume then that if I buy just the CD software only option it obviously has a program for writing the program and map to a CF , or any, card?

Is the quick start option available as a standalone package with the CD without..the GPS? Sorry to be pedantic but the sites I've looked at don't make it clear
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm getting very excited, no, honestly!

Reading elswhere here is it correct that if I buy the CD version only I can create my own quick start card from my PC?

In which case the more flexible choice of other brand Blue GPS and mount remain rather than buy the Co Pilot GPS, SD and mount in a bundle just to get the quick start card, correct?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK Software only CD is available for around £135. Once you have installed this to the PC, part of the map export process from PC to PPC allows you to create a QuickStart Card for the future, so if your PPC main battery dies, or you forget to charge it then once it has hard reset, just unplug the storage card and re-insert it (or browse to the 2577 directory and tap the exectubable) and it will start reinstalling CoPilot Live for you.

The QuickStart cards are really only available for people who don't want the hassle of installing it to the PC and transferring map data, or for people that use Mac's!

However if you want to add custom POI's like Speed Cameras (and update these regularly) you will need the PC version installed anyway and have to re-cut the map each time you update the POI's.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. That nails it for the software. Will order a 512 CF card just to be on the safe side. This should also ease any concerns over Bluetooth reliability as the consensus seems that it works better with CF and the way PPCs handle SD or CF cards.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the pan-Europe licence. 512 MB will not be nearly enough to load all the European maps at the same time. What I do before going to a European destination is to download the maps for the region I want to visit, plus a 25 mile wide corridor from Dover (or whatever port I am using) to the desired region. I then wipe these maps before the next trip.
Robin
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. No more effort than getting out a map and planning a trip.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: