Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - URGENT: Need help with reinstalling after original PPC died
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

URGENT: Need help with reinstalling after original PPC died

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AOD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: URGENT: Need help with reinstalling after original PPC died Reply with quote

My wife is presently in the US and her h2210 has just died on her, it refused to charge any more for some reason.

She's got hold of another unit and has an SD card with the quick install option on it from which she can re-install the software.

My question is this. Will she be able to activate the software on this new unit, given that the license/files from the original PPC have been lost?

I have them here in the UK within a backup.stg, but obviously she doesn't and I don't know if I can read the license number from anywhere.

Will she be able to run the software without activating (until say Monday when ALK support will be available)?

Thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can transfer the licens on the ALK website. Just deactivate the license from the crashed machine, and then she should be able to re-activate with the new one (she needs some form of internet access,though)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the backup.stg file ? Can you extract this so you can see all the files and directories ? If so, all you need to do is look in the \CoPilot\Preferences.cfg file for the license code, have her edit this on her PPC and you will be good to go.
AOD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

The backup.stg file is the full backup taken using Activesync of her PPC. I found a small freeware utility that can open these files and allow you to extract/copy files within. Handy if you just need to extract a particular file.

If anybody else is interested, it can be found here: http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=2024&associateid=11

I'll take a look inside the preferences file you mentioned and see how I get on with tracking down the license code for the original machine.

For anybody else in this scenario, CP5 gives you 3 to 4 days during which you can use it without activating the license. You do get a "nag" screen when it starts, but you can cancel from this and use the software.

She doesn't have any internet access, but since I do, I reckon I can do everything over the phone with her supplying any details that I may need.

I will just add that the ability to reinstall from the quickstart created on the SD card has proved to be a real life saver in this situation. The ability to reload the software (at least without choosing different map data) with no PC available is fantastic.
AOD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add that having reviewed the Preferences.cfg file, all this contains is the product activation key (which I already have).

Nowhere does it have the license number, my understanding is that this would be "tied" to a particular PPC and that once you've activated, your product activation key cannot then be used without the original license being deactivated first.

The online deactivation screen requires you to enter a deactivation code, which as far as I know can only be obtained from CP5 on the PPC. Well, as the original PPC got wasted, this isn't going to happen.

I'll just have to contact ALK support on Monday and request their assistance.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, if you are installing to a different device then it won't work, you will need to contact ALK when they're open. If it's just the PPC has hard reset then you should be okay.
AOD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another twist (isn't there always?)

The quickstart card was built using a UK installation, but it only has US map data on that particular SD card. I purchased the US maps as an addon/upgrade and have the UK supplied quickstart card here with me.

When my wife went to try and construct a trip after reinstalling the software, no map information was displayed on the screen (GPS was checked and it was fine with 7 sats and a 3D fix)

I got her to check that the relevant "map" region was listing in the Tools,Options, but this made no difference. The "region" lists, but she wasn't getting any mapping information onscreen. Trying to get mapping data for a favourite or POI didn't do anything either.

Snooping around the files on the SD card that I have here, I can see that there are a couple in which Country/Continent/Region details are specified.

My assumption is that because the "base" software hasn't been activated, it won't let her view non EU/UK mapping information. At least I hope that's what it is as she is about ready to launch the PPC through the nearest window at this point.

Of course with the extensive file editing abilities onboard a PPC as standard, even if we knew what to alter, she couldn't make the change. Most if not all the files are types that can't be opened with Word.

I can only hope that once the software is activated and has the US map key activated as well, that she'll be able to see the maps.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The license ties you to the program and map set that are released with the activation key you have.
AOD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense to me, but try explaining that to a seriously stressed better half who's several thousand miles away Sad. She's currently not a very happy bunny.

I spoke with ALK UK this morning and they explained that because the license code will switch each time an activation code is entered (first base UK, then US), the person with the PPC needs to be on the phone at the time.

They've suggested I ask my wife to contact ALK US and explain the situation to them. They should be able to get her up and running.

Contrast this with the US phone tech support from HP, which was abysmal. My wife spoke to some chap in an Indian call centre who she couldn't understand. She wasn't exactly blown away by his level of competence either, the guy couldn't even tell her how to hard reset a h2210. 2 mins searching on the HP site will find that info. :x

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: