Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 Playing up (again) - Need postcodes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 Playing up (again) - Need postcodes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: 720 Playing up (again) - Need postcodes Reply with quote

Hi, Can anyone tell me how to reinstall the post code file. I have just spent the best part of an hour trying to find any post that might help. The only one that might have been some use suggested I open a file called "ZIP" but unable to see one I just copied the post code file (i found one i saved some time ago) onto the root page but that did not work.

Any help would be great.

(Mod Edit - Added detail to title)
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contents of the zip compressed file must be extracted to a FOLDER called zip in the root of the unit.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the OP has not replied yet, let's go into a bit more detail....

By coincidence we are dealing here with "zip" archive files AS WELL AS a folder called "zip" (named after the American "zipcodes" term for postcodes) Don't let that confuse you!

First step is to download a recent set of postcode files onto your PC. You can get the v905 ones from here:
http://www.tomtom.com/updates/zipcodes/Map_905/zip.zip. (I haven't seen a link for v910 postcodes yet).
If you put that URL into a web browser, it should prompt you to save a file called "zip.zip" somewhere. Do so, and remember where you told it to save it.

(Do not copy the original downloaded file onto the TomTom, that won't work).

Secondly, find the downloaded archive file "zip.zip" in Windows Explorer then right-click on it and select "Extract all" from the context menu that appears.

That should produce a FOLDER called "zip" with six files inside. Two will be for the UK postcodes, two for the Netherlands and two for singapore.

BEWARE... Depending on the actual version of the zip file and your Windows version, you MAY end up with several folders called "zip" nested inside one another. What you need to find is the LAST folder, the one that only has the six files inside it.

Finally, copy that entire folder (with the six files inside) onto the TomTom, using Windows Explorer. Put it straight onto the basic TomTom drive (the so called "root directory), NOT inside any other folder.

Your full 7-digit postcode searches should now work OK.

Last edited by Andy_P on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://download.tomtom.com/open/zipcode/910/nederland.cab
http://download.tomtom.com/open/zipcode/910/great_britain.cab
http://download.tomtom.com/open/zipcode/910/singapore.cab

Available since 9-May-13
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks justbrowsing Smile

Going back to my instructions then, it looks like there'll only be two files in the zip folder per country download.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks everybody I've managed to do ok ( I think). The link from andy_p worked fine but for some reason the links from justbrowsing could not be downloaded, the spam filters on my pc rejected the download.
But anyway everything appears to be working now so thanks again.
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Thanks justbrowsing Smile

Going back to my instructions then, it looks like there'll only be two files in the zip folder per country download.

Yup, correct

PS Re Andys post above, for 905 zips link should be http://www.tomtom.com/updates/zipcodes/Map_905/zip.zip
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right... this gets slightly more complicated!

Firstly, apologies for my original download link for v905 postcodes... Minor cock up on my part.... I copied an old v805 link and forgot to correct the text for v905.
That's now corrected in my original post.

--------

HOWEVER, justbrowsing's new links for the v910 postcodes are NOT a zip archive.
TomTom have unhelpfully changed it so they arrive as a CAB archive instead. The method to extract the files from a .cab archive are slightly different from a .zip archive.

You can either use a third-party extraction utility such as "WinRar" or on my Windows XP installation, you can right click on the .cab archive and select "open" to SHOW you the files, but then you have to right click on each one individually and select "Extract" to actually decompress them. Maybe that's improved in later Windows versions?

------------

So '1304' you may want to do another download to get the very latest files.
-------------

Another thing I could have added is that the file "Great_BritainPostal.ver" in the folder is a simple text file that can be opened with Notepad on the PC. The text inside will confirm the version number of the postcodes.
(Sometimes TomTom forget to include the .ver file in the download package though! Rolling Eyes )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: