Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie thoughts for those considering satnav purchase
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie thoughts for those considering satnav purchase
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjolnir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree wholeheartedly - stick with v3.0. as some1 who likes having the latest updates, when i go tomtom 3 2 days ago, promptly went onto the tomtom site and upgraded to v3.02... talk about learning the hard way! went from stratford to sidcup, resetting the gps every 4-5 minutes! then upon further reading of the posts here (after finding my way back) i uninstalled the damn thing and reverted to v3.0

now i'm following the solution on
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7384 and seeing if this works...
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the 2210 fix is now available, and consists of Navigator 3.01 and GPS 3.02. It looks as if the problem was GPS 3.01. The warnings have now disappeared on the Navigator 3.01 page, to be replaced with comment on both the Navigator 3.01 and GPS 3.02 download pages that:

This version improves support for HP iPAQ2210 with a Bluetooth GPS receiver; this fixes reports of intermittent and random failing of the Bluetooth link between the GPS receiver and the HP iPAQ 2210.

David
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

I have been to TomTom's site and have seen what you refer to, and it would seem that TomTom have indeed issued the update specific to the Ipaq 2210. I shall give these updates a try this evening.

my only question is in which order should I install these updates?

3.01 first then 3.02 or even just 3.02?

I am a little confused here now (not an unusual situation I assure you) :D

Many Thanks

Steve
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter - just quit Navigator and make sure GPS has shut down (no satellite dish icon at the bottom of the Today screen). If GPS refuses to shut down, soft reset the Pocket PC first.

You can upgrade Navigator to 3.01 and GPS to 3.02 in either order. You don't need to install versions incrementally - you can install GPS 3.02 straight away even if you only have GPS 3.00 on your machine now.

David
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers David - Had to go out this evening so i will have a bat at it this weekend

Will let you know how things turn out

Steve
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve i have the arkon it has 2 usb sockets on the bottom and a 9volt plug on the side near the plug hole for the speaker pach lead just updated to 3.01 on the xda hopefully itll work if all goes well so im talking my 2210 with me just in case
one of the usb sockets is for the pda the other is for a handfree system
dont waht hands free but thats what it says its a good peice of kit and really reconemd it

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Alix

I already have it on my list of things to persuade "The Boss" to let me buy in the near future

As soon as the purse strings are loosened then I shall order it (and the larger SD card I want)

Cheers

Steve
CG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree - a truly excellent site, to which I would like to add my experiences as a complete novice.

In early June I purchased an iPAQ 2210 + TT2. Like others I tested it on known routes and found it generally accurate, but a bit inclined not to re-route logically - it sometimes attempted to take me back to the error, as it did on a trip south out of Central London one Saturday. Following advice from a friend I tweaked the road speed settings, all to within about 1 mph of each other (in descending order) and then found it happier to use the more useful minor roads and less fixed on the major ones.

Yesterday evening I travelled from mid-Hampshire to East Sussex, with a call in Horsham on the way. Because it was late and the roads were quiet I decided to try the 'shortest route' option as I was in no particular hurry. I can't really say where it took me as dark country lanes are not easy to identify - but it knocked about 20 miles of the standard, motorway-based route and was a good deal more interesting too - but not perhaps sensible if you are in a hurry of course.

I use it for work calls, and since nearly all of my visits are one-offs this sytem has greatly improved my time-keeping, with less time wasted route planning and checking, fewer wasted miles back-tracking after a mistake, and lower blood pressure just getting around generally and avoiding road blockages in particular.

I did get some early lock-ups so installed TT2 again, followed by 2.24. So far it has performed well, although I was causing some start-up probs by trying to close TT before switching off, as you would with a PC. I found that just switching it off on leaving the car (and removing it from the cradle of course) it re-starts without problems - but then I expect most of you knew that already.........

The postcode prog from this site is really excellent - and I'm told it knocks spots of TT's own in 3.

My main gripe is with TomTom. When I purchased TT2 and the rest of the hardware it was heavily discounted by a well-known national computer store, having been returned by a previous customer. In my ignorance I hadn't realised the implications of the software having been activated by the previous owner until it came to obtaining (or in my case, failing to) the free upgrade. Requests to their website for assistance (which certainly isn't the easiest I have come across) met with brief and generally unhelpful answers, and a totally inflexible attitude when I offered to send them a copy of the receipt - and the store also offered to write to them as well. But they dug their heels in and refused to allow 'initial' activation again using a new code. Excellent software let down by being very unhelpful when assistance was genuinely required. I know they have to protect their software, and I have no problem with that. It's just their 'take it or leave it' attitude that really wound me up.

Fortunately this story is about to have a happy ending - the store (I expect the letters P,C and W mean something to most of you?) are offering to provide TT3 (unused this time!) free of charge to resolve the problem. Now that's what I call fantastic service!

I would recommend this system to anyone thinking about buying it, but perhaps to be prepared to test it locally first and to tweak the settings until it's doing mostly what you want it to do. I would certainly be 'lost' without it now.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG wrote:
Following advice from a friend I tweaked the road speed settings, all to within about 1 mph of each other (in descending order) and then found it happier to use the more useful minor roads and less fixed on the major ones.

Would you care to share these speed settings please?

Thanks
Colin58
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned by everyone else I wish I had read this first before buying my system though I am happy with it, HP2210, Tom Tom wired GPS and TT3. I cant say I have had a lockups but the version I am running s the one supplied, I have not performed any upgrades though the installer s/w looked as if it had hung during the install. Reding throug the forums especially the beginners one has excellent information. I am now going to try and play with an old Ipaq 3630 and a old IPAQ nav jacket to see if I can get it to work. The old jacket only cost a tenner and though no disks has the s/w on the 128MB CF card.

Col.
DevilsAdvocate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is thanks for this site and all those who post.
I had a good trawl through here before I bought my stuff a couple of weeks ago and since to fix a few issues. Keep up the good work.

Regards
Memory Map
Fortuna Clip-ON
Lexar 256MB CF Card
Arkon Mount
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of what's been said. And don't worry if your harridan of a wife/girlfriend gives you a hard time about buying gadgets and stuff, they will be mightily impressed with TomTom and a bluetooth GPS unit. Seriously.

You might have to throw in talk of taking them for long romantic walks in the countryside and then get them to buy you something like the Anquet OS Landranger maps though... shame! Laughing

So I can thoroughly recommend the following:

Fortuna ClipOn
Arkon powered PDA mount (my mate sells these cheaper than anyone else; I'll give you details if you want, but won't force it on anyone).
TomTom 3 (greatly annoying, but annoyingly great too)
Niels Thomsen's Postcode utility (www.digitools.co.uk) - remember to donate via PayPal if you reckon it's any good though!
Also have a look at GPS Dash and GPS Tuner. You can try them for free before you buy them. Look at www.handango.com if you like.
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know that all our wives/girlfriends etc. are of the same breed !
'Waste of money', 'Why do you keep messing with it?' 'Where's the map?' And so on......... I can't wait 'till we end up down the wrong way on a one way street.....'Told you so!'
Gurkhaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very warm hello to everyone from a newbie recently introduced to the world of GPS. An extremely helpful forum, thanks to everyone's helpful posts.

On the subject of wives and girlfriends being/not being impressed with our 'gadgets', luckily I had no say in the matter! My wife bought me a Typhoon My Guide 3500 for Christmas and, while trying to get to grips with it, I find this most appropriate forum. I hope to learn a lot about using my GPS with help from experienced members.

My system came with a slide in case and I have been trawling the net looking for a better and more secure one, sadly I was unable to find one for Typhoon. I should appreciate it very much if anyone could point me in the right direction please.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and Welcome

I believe, but am not entirely sure, that the MyGuide 3500 is pretty much the same machine, at least in terms of the casing, as the Navman PiN and Mitac Mio 168. As such, you could check out this review of an alternative case (hopefully the pictures will look familiar!) or look for alternative cases described as for either of those machines.

Be aware that the only option for the Vaja case at the moment is to order a custom one - the European Vaja agents don't have any stock cases. That means ordering in US dollars, waiting four to five weeks, and potentially paying VAT and import duty on the package when you get it. I did this on 9 December for a case for my iPAQ hx4700 - for me, the cost is worth it and I'll get exactly what I want, but it's not a cheap option. Vaja cases are regarded as probably the best cases around.

There are other case options available.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: